My 40 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice Truck Red! did you install shoulder belts or lap belts? i almost did the same thing with my new brake calipers. the bleeder valve always points up.
Everyone likes Pictures! keep them comming.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bill, After much searching on CPP website, I figured out that the bleeders need to be up. I have them on now. I just have to get brake hoses. The ironic thing is I went to my local Checkers and rubber hoses are the same as braided SS hoses from CPP. So, I'll have to order them. I also had some issues with mt sway bars being to long. I bought them for a 74 Nova but the frame has been narrowed. They need to be 43" eye to eye. Thanks for the support. To anwser your first question, I put in lap belts.

Flathead Red

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
I had about 4 hours today on the truck and a list of things to do. I started out with some gusto but petered out quickly due to silly set backs. I started out trying to put speed bleeders into my front calipers until I realized I needed 10mm and I had 9/16.

I decided to put the plug wires back on and had the wrong diagram. I have an HEI distributor on my motor. I decided to finish up the headlight switch. That went great> I got it in and it worked. Awesome! Aside from the giant scatch I put in the dash when removing the old one.

I then decided to finish taking the brake booster out in preperation for my new 7" double diaphram.

After that I decided to get up underneith the rear end and take a look at the shocks and brake lines. I found some things that disturbed me. The leaf springs were flat for one thing. And secondly the spring perches were facing the rear instead of down.

The second picture is the leaf spring eye that was welded to the frame and I'm not sure about it.
Lastly are the shocks that have odd looking top mounts especially on the drivers side. It has a post welded to the frame that the top shock mount is bolted to.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Fontucky Slim
Senior User
Great looking project! Keep those pictures comin!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 PM
jarod17
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice ride. The place that you had your A-arms done, Do they make custom arms? I am putting together a '71 F-250 but I need a custom setup for the suspension.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Sorry, I don't think they do custom arms.

Flathead red

Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Unless you have 2 ton of gravel in the bed, it appears the rear springs have been overloaded at some point or swapped with something from a lighter vehicle. A 40 guy would know better, however the 42-47 have either 7 or 8 leaves.

Nice Project ! Keep up the picts !

Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Thanks for the input. I think it is one of several possibilities. The first one is what you said. The second being they were de arched with heat to get the truck lower. It does have a two inch lowering block under it now. They also appear to be to big being that the rear spring perches are facing the rear. If the springs are bent or dearched would that cause the perches to do that? What I mean is if I put new springs on it (same size) would that cause the perches to hang correctly? The front clip is Nova but I don't know what the rear frame section is. The rear end is chevrolet as well so I am assuming the springs are chevy as well.

Flathead Red

Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Look up Carlene and go to her gallery. She has a pict of a 41 frame. It has a transverse rear spring not the 2 parallel springs. So yours was modded for the better, except perhaps the strength of the springs.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Look up Carlene and go to her gallery. She has a pict of a 41 frame. It has a transverse rear spring not the 2 parallel springs. So yours was modded for the better, except perhaps the strength of the springs.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
The guy who posted just before me must have dementia !

Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Flathead Red
Senior User
I didn't get anything done this weekend but I took a couple days off just to get away and hang out with the family AND work on the truck. I got my steering wheel puller last week ($10 on the Garage Journal) and got the wheel off. Now I had been told that once I got the wheel off I should be able to look down inside and there should be a screw that connects the turn signal arm. Well, there was no screw and it had a cover on it that turned. I figured out it was some kind of adjustment to keep the wheel straight. I rotated it around and saw three screws inside. I unscrewed all of them and none allowed the turn signal arm to come out. So as I sat and thought about my next course of action I started to fool with the arm. Voila! It comes out! So the new arm must slide right in right? No way. Anyone have any ideas?

So since I got stuck with that I decided to finish up a few things I had left undone. I couldn't get to the lower ball joints to grease them as I don't have a flex tube so I jacked the truck up and greased them up. After I got underneith and got the front brake lines in place and figured I needed to get some clamps to secure them to the crossmember. I went ahead and assembled the tie rods but didn't instal them as I couldn't remember which were inner and outer. What a DA I am!
After that I started to look around and see what else needed doing. I started to look at the firewall and see how many holes were in it that needed patching. I found about ten and two of them were full of some kind of glue. Wh knows but I'll try to get them tomorrow. I decided I would go ahead and mount the fuel filter/water seperator. I found a good spot on the frame right where the fuel line comes in. Looks pretty good but need some fuel line to finish it up.

Tomorrow I plan to take the welder over and start working the holes in the firewall as well as filling the factory made holes in the nose of the frame.
Flathead Red

Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Well,
It's my last day of leave so I wanted to get a few things accomplished. As I was walking out of the hose the UPS guy showed up and had my new stainless brake lines! That was sweet so the first thing I put on was those.

After that I measured out the old tierods and put the new ones together. They went together pretty quickly and went on pretty well. After that I got underneith and finished greasing all the fittings to include the lower ball joints and the idler arm. While I was under the frontend I worked the brake line around and into a good position. It is just laying in place, running along the cross member. I have to get some tubing clamps to hold it there. I went ahead and attached the passengers side to the stainless line with little bending. I got that set of brake line pliers from Eastwood and like them a lot.

After that I decided to try and weld up some of the holes in the frame. The front was hacked off and it also has some unsightly factory made hole that I would like to weld up. Last night I made some patches out of 18 guage but overheated them and burned through. I got two done but was generally no pleased with the outcome so decided to move on.

I finished up running the new fuel filter/water collector on the outside passenger frame rail. I got it with minimal bending in the fuel line.

Lastly I decided after all that that I would get it off the jackstands and get her back on the ground, so I put the wheels on to see how it all looks. Sweet!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lovin' it!

Those interior door panels are sweet!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Flathead Red
Senior User
Well, I spent the whole weekend relaxing and watching football and playing with my kids. So today I went over and put a few hours in. I decided to go ahead and test fit the fenders since I put the lowered springs on it. It sits much lower than it did. The springs are 1&1/2 inches lower than the original springs from the 74 Nova clip. I also put on the upper and lower grille to help pull the fenders in.

Quick Reply: My 40 pickup