2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 F150 Won't Crank, Remote Not working Now either

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
pheby
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Won't Crank, Remote Not working Now either

Very cold weather -40's windchill, yesterday tried to start my 2005 F150 FX4 with remote starter. 1st try cranked, then shut off after not starting. 2nd try cranked, then shut off after not starting. So I went outside and tried starting the truck with the key...nothing..no crank as if battery dead. Later in day got a boost, same thing...no crank no start. And now the remote doesn't work. Both keys, and both remotes don't work. Tried unsuccessfully to re-program remotes. Cleaned positive battery terminal, unhooked battery for 15 minutes. Tried starting in neutral. Its like the truck, the key , and the remote are all immobilized??? Any ideas, too cold to be without a vehicle in rural Manitoba!

<JAROOTJA>Optional Information:
Year : 2005
Make : Ford
Model: F150 FX4
Engine: V8

Already Tried:
Tried cleaning battery terminals. Left jumper cables on truck for 45 mins to charge battery. Tried shifting and starting in neutral. Tried reprogramming remotes. Check engine and battery light are on.
The Battery charge indicator is well above half, and seems to be lots of battery power.
It seems as though a immobilizer has stopped the key, remotes from working..is that possible.
Could really use some help! </JAROOTJA>

Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
acoers
Freshman User
sound like maybe you got a wire problem, i would check to see if you have any loose wires or connections under the dash thats what happened to me

Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
My first guess would be your PATS bypass has gone bad or shorted out...but if that were the case it would still start with the key.

So, it won't even crank? Not even tick to engage the starter motor?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM
pheby
New User
Thanks for the reply.

No it doesn't engage the starter at all.
I hear relays clicking in the dash, but the starter doesn't engage.
Its like something has immobilized the starter..or so it seems.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Alarms/Remote Starters immobilze the fuel pump, so I think we can rule out that (maybe). You said the CEL was on...we need the codes.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 PM
pheby
New User
I'll have to get a code reader somehow.
I live in very rural Manitoba, and don't know anyone who has one.
I guess I'll have to wait til Monday and buy one..
Certianly appreicate your input, I'll update when I get codes.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess my question is what is the lil red light up by the windshield doing? Additionally most alarms kill the starter, not the fuel pump.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
pheby
New User
The alarm light in the windshield flashes like usual while the truck is sitting.
When I turn the key to accessories, its solid red.
When I turn the key to ignition, it is not illuminated at all, it goes out and stays out.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pheby
The alarm light in the windshield flashes like usual while the truck is sitting.
When I turn the key to ignition, it is not illuminated at all, it goes out and stays out.
Well thats good. When you say remotes, are you talking about the stock ones or ones for your remote start/alarm?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Originally Posted by pheby
PATS uses a visual theft indicator located on top of the instrument panel. This indicator proves out for 3 seconds when the key is turned to ON or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator either flashes rapidly or glows steadily (for more than 3 seconds ) when the key is turned to ON or START. PATS also "flashes" the theft indicator every 2 seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 AM
pheby
New User
I believe the remotes are stock, as well as the alarm.
I've owned the truck for 1 year, and they came with the truck when I bought it.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This reminds me of an "interesting" situation when I got my 07 F-150 a few months back.
After making the deal at the dealership,I was given just two keys.One was a normal PATS system key,and the other was a "normal" Ford key.
I hopped into the truck happy as a clam,and put the key in...Turned it NOTHING...My first impression was ...well you know.
Then I pulled the key out and tried the other one Fired right up.
Turns out that I got ONE PATS key,and another key I think is called a 'Valet key"..It opens the door,but thats it.
With that being said,I have suspicions that your PATS system has "Gone South"
Ultimately I had to buy two PATS Blanks,and have the dealer reprogram the system....Stay warm

Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Is it an aftermarket remote start or dealer installed Ford unit? If you're not sure can you post a pic of the fob?

Looking back over your original post, your first symptoms of crank and no start could be a bad tach monitor wire. I've had that happen. Depending on the unit (and the installer), their will probably be a t-tap on one of the COP lines. This wire monitors the signal. If no signal the remote start can't verify that the engine is running and stops trying after a preset number of attempts.

It might just be locked up, in which case we need to know what model and where the valet button is located. However, the solid red light on the dash leads me to believe there is a PATS issue. The book only mentions a solid red indicator if there is a problem.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Here’s my guess, something has gone wrong with your alarm, its likely lost power. This would explain why your remotes don’t respond, assuming they aren’t the factory 3 button remotes, as well as why the truck won’t start. Most alarms have a relay placed inline with the starter wire which usually (some are backwards) must be energized to close the circuit, of course in its de-energized state the circuit is open and that signal never gets to the starter. I’d find your alarms brain and verify it has power.

Bridge, I’m working under the assumption that solid red state was the 3 sec. prove out.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
pheby
New User
Good Evening Bridge and screwy;

Sounds like you both are on the right track, although I'm not too mechanically inclined, common sense told me the issue was probably with the alarm..or PATS.
Although both the Check engine light and battery light staying on, does make me wonder if its the battery, but I'm getting a little panicky too..

I cannot figure out how to post a picture of the remote.
Its made by code systems inc.
Here's a link to a photo on ebay of one exactly like mine.

CODE SYSTEMS INC FCC ID: G0H-FRDPC2002 REMOTE:eBay Motors (item 300373084348 end time Jan-30-10 10:03:42 PST)[IMG]

Its black with 4 buttons: top 2 : lock and unlock
Bottom 2 : red alarm, and blue key(start)

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Won't Crank, Remote Not working Now either