1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Magic Air Heater Cores

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tim,

That number did sound very promising. So much so that I swung into Autozone tonight and inquired about one. Lo and behold, they had one on the shelf! I stopped back in later on with my core and rear housing to see how it would fit. The width was dead on at 7 3/4", but even though the catalog lists it as 8" long, this one measured 8 1/4". It would almost fit into the housing, but all 4 corners of the core rub the housing and it would have had to be forced into place. The one they had was a Proliance/Ready-Rad brand. Perhaps a different brand would be the correct 8". I'll be looking next week to see if someone else locally can get a different brand. The tubes are also off a bit. They would somehow have to be offset about 1/2" on one side and 3/4" on the other for a '48 - '51 case. Large offsets are easy, but small ones like that might be a problem without kinking the tube. Most anything will need the tubes modified for a '52.

Could I get some credit for the 2 restored Magic Air heaters in the above link ?
Denny,

Sorry we gave credit for your work and pic to somebody else! BUT! Now that we have your attention, can you tell us what you used for a 12V heater motor and also if you replaced either of the heater cores? If you did, what part number did you use and did it require any mods?

Ilya,

After taking my 1952 heater apart, it was clear to me that it had never been out of the truck before and had never been apart. It had been spray bombed black in-situ under the dash, but was originally a dark silver hammer-tone finish. The original part number and date of assembly was painted on the back of the heater over this finish and the inside is the same color, so I'm certain of that. I need to get pictures taken of that. But that doesn't mean that they weren't a different color in prior years. Obviously, the badge and some other details changed, so the color might have also. If we can nail the colors of the different years down with certainty, this should be documented, too.

Also, it's good to know that you've got someone available that can work on the cores. I haven't given up on finding a close replacement yet, but it may come to pass that the only viable option is to either move the tubes on a readily available core or swap the OE tank onto a different core. It would be great to have a go-to guy to get this work done. Perhaps you could get a few done and keep them in inventory??

Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
BOR Sure .why not just ask for the info instead of ganging up on me with the wrong pic /alot of work credit on the 2 Magic Air heaters to get my attention ? JJ= Just joking !!. I took the gamble and purchased the 12 V heater motor from SVF . It fit /worked fine . I did not have to replace either heater core . I like your line of thinking on using the new core and swapping the tank portion . Seems like the lesser of two evils to me . Good luck and Happy Safe New Year to all . I hope all of us get a ton of work done on our trucks in '10

Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Would these work?

7-3/8"W x 9-3/8"L x 2" thick, overall dimensions. These are for a '93 F-150, and they only cost $26 at AutoZone. The tubes would be easy to modify.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
BOR asked me to contribute anything I have on the heaters. Here it is:

A stock heater unit out of '48-50:

The color I have found on the back side of all the units I have is silver hammertone that you can buy in almost any store now. When I did the one in my F-2 15 years ago I could only find it one small neighborhood hardware store.

These are the drawings I have out of the Ford truck parts catalog, I don't know if any one has posted these, I didn't have time to look through all of the pages on thread:

I've had numerous '48-52 trucks and the heaters were pretty consistent with which heaters went with the corresponding heaters in the drawings. The cab I used for my '49 F-2 is from a '48-50 F-7 firetruck and when I got it it had the heater unit from a '51 or '52, I assume it was a while after the truck was originally bought by the fire department.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll confirm the silver hammertone.

I went by my storage locker yesterday and unpacked a heater that I bought a few years ago on eBay.

Here it is.

It's marked as a 51 by the prior owner. However, looking at the boot, it's round, so it is a 51 like Julie pointed out. Also, the Magic Air trim in the front is a 51 (???) if our assumption is correct.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a 51 boot Ilya - first one I've ever seen. 52 Was the square one on the intake side! So, it's consistant with a 51 heater/install.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Great post and info! Thanks

I just looked at my 52 & 51 magic air heaters again and I'm sure I may be needing to refer back here at some point in the future.

Especially on the 51 heater. it was damaged in shipping and the bottom tube is bent, maybe it will straighten out ok though? also the 52 Script motor cover matches the above descriptions only I found mine inside the glove box inside a mouse nest and they had been urinating on it so when I cleaned it up those areas just turned to dust I hate mice

Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks to Bob and Ilya for pitching in. It looks like all of the fresh air heaters were originally hammertone silver or dark gray. I'm still playing with heater cores, although it isn't looking too good for finding anything that will drop in without much effort in my '52 heater. I haven't given up yet, but after reviewing 400+ cores in a catalog a couple different times, it isn't looking too promising. There are other possibilities in the works, though. Some sort of replacement core should eventually come out of this.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
That's a 51 boot Ilya - first one I've ever seen. 52 Was the square one on the intake side! So, it's consistant with a 51 heater/install.
You're right, Julie. I've edited my post to reflect the same.

I transposed the two pictures that Bob posted without double checking the diagrams too closely.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Thanks to Bob and Ilya for pitching in. It looks like all of the fresh air heaters were originally hammertone silver or dark gray. I'm still playing with heater cores, although it isn't looking too good for finding anything that will drop in without much effort in my '52 heater. I haven't given up yet, but after reviewing 400+ cores in a catalog a couple different times, it isn't looking too promising. There are other possibilities in the works, though. Some sort of replacement core should eventually come out of this.
You're doing a great job! Eventually, a replacement core will be found whether it's a direct drop in or needs to be modified. Let me know if there's anything I could to help once you find a comparable core.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great info and how your all pulling it together, well done... Can't tell you all how many times I read a lengthy thread that just leave you hanging.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Stand by Marty, it's coming.

There will be concise conclusions on all three areas of the heater write ups that are going on. Cores, Motors, and Ducts. Be patient, up until now there wasn't this much interest in them. So, to take a few weeks to find the right answers with NO prior documentation is actually pretty amazing.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Ilya ,that is a '51 heater boot .Have 6 next to me in the stock drawer . Can make as many as needed . '52's are the same at the heater end but are 3 & 7/16 wide x 2 & 7/8 tall at the kick panel inlet . Have 5 of them in the drawer also and can make many more . The repro 10 inside buck and the carbon fiber outside of the mold does not wear out .

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
So Denny, you're making both 51 and 52 boots right?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Boots

Yes , Julie that is correct .Will try to post a pic of each . Called SVF today & inquired about the heater motor . Narrowed it down to 2 models . Now I 'm not sure if mine will work .So will get it out of the box. put some elec. to it and see what happens . Also will take it apart and check the part # .Stay tuned for more details .Later ,Denny

Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Heater boots

'51 heater boot . Will fit '51 F-1 & up trucks as well as '51 & '52 Merc trucks M-47 & up .

Yr specific .Will only fit '52 Ford F-1 & up trucks . Correct durometer ( hardness 80 ) , cast lines in all the correct places , snug fit . Will fit perfectly .

Last edited by firstrider; 01-05-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: punctuation & spelling

Quick Reply: Magic Air Heater Cores