Thinking of going with a 3X2 set-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually with progressive linkage, a Uni Syn won't do you much good. If you want to use straight linkage, then the Uni Syn would be very helpful or mandatory.

Set up the outer two carbs so that they start coming in at about two thirds throttle of the center carb. Have the right mechanical advantage so that all three reach WOT at the same point. When the outer two are in the closed position, the idle screw will be turned JUST ENOUGH to pick the blades off of closed position. This is only so that the blades don't tend to stick in the bores. You can disable the power system in the outer carbs and weaken the accelerator pump delivery. If you're looking for wide open throttle power, you can fatten the outer two carbs ever so slightly more than the center one. Also, take the choke plates off of the outer carbs.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
When the outer two are in the closed position, the idle screw will be turned JUST ENOUGH to pick the blades off of closed position. This is only so that the blades don't tend to stick in the bores. You can disable the power system in the outer carbs and weaken the accelerator pump delivery.
Guess I will have to agree to disagree with you. I use the Uni-Syn to set up the outer carbs, not "turned JUST ENOUGH to pick the blades off of closed position".

Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Well,

Yours of course (if the below is yours), is just absolutely a beautiful piece of art!!

That aside, there's a LOT of money and work there that just doesn't make it worth it for a lot of us. (me included)

I know it doesn't take an electrical engineer to tune up a set of three but it's not a trivial job either..... And considering what the whole set up can cost.....some of us choose to spend it on other stuff (although I should talk!!)

Cheers,

Rick

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead
Why? There are many good running, multiple carb engines out there, mine included...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Well,

Yours of course (if the below is yours), is just absolutely a beautiful piece of art!!

That aside, there's a LOT of money and work there that just doesn't make it worth it for a lot of us. (me included)

I know it doesn't take an electrical engineer to tune up a set of three but it's not a trivial job either..... And considering what the whole set up can cost.....some of us choose to spend it on other stuff (although I should talk!!)

Cheers,

Rick
Yes that is my Baby and every thing you say is true about the exspence and work... but I have always wanted a '55 Ranchwagon with a '57 312" and three Strombergs since I bought my first '55 Ranchwagon in 1965. Now that I am retired I got one and plenty of time to tinker with it (well after I finish the "Honey Does" for the day.

Thanks for the compliment on the Y-Block...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Yes that is my Baby and every thing you say is true about the exspence and work... but I have always wanted a '55 Ranchwagon with a '57 312" and three Strombergs since I bought my first '55 Ranchwagon in 1965. Now that I am retired I got one and plenty of time to tinker with it (well after I finish the "Honey Does" for the day.

Thanks for the compliment on the Y-Block...

Oh, believe when I say I considered it long and hard about putting the 3x2's on my 292!!

I think they would REALLY look good with the Mummert Ram Horns!!

I have a small fortune tied up in the E4OD, Baumann Engr controller and trans-adapter!

But......it's an F-600! I would probably be laughed off the street!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rick, all you need to do is pickup a pickup, drop in the new 292, a get a 3X2 .

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 46yblock
Rick, all you need to do is pickup a pickup, drop in the new 292, a get a 3X2 .

It's that easy?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
But even then there is that large plenum volume. Someone once commented that a backfire with an Offy on top could be interesting. What do you think Wild Bunch?
Whoops, sorry for missing this -- didn't mean to be rude!

I agree with you! I don't necessarily have anything against the 360° manifold concept, but I do think that it needs to be implemented correctly. Something like an Edelbrock Torker comes to mind when I think of correct implementation. A lot of the Offenhauser stuff seems to use the 360° concept as an excuse to tie a gas soaked rag around a tomato can and call it a carb, if you get my drift. Just putting a carb on top of a box and then tying the ports to it doesn't seem too scientific to me.

I agree, one could achieve some top end WOT performance with this kind of setup, but it isn't going to do too well at low and midrange, or thru transitions. That would be the theory. But in this case, according to Ted's dyno tests and even Offenhauser's own work of 4 decades ago, there seems to be a lack of flow, which an open plenum shouldn't have at all!

In the Y Block over/under design with multiple carbs, like 3x2 or 2x4, the passages leading to the lower plane tend to act like fenceposts to the upper plane passages. An open plenum (360°) should be getting around this problem, rather than suffering a penalty.

Then, too, the opportunities for fuel to puddle up because of low velocity, along with the greater volume of the open plenum, should offer the opportunity for a bigger boom in the case of a backfire, for sure.

Because of the over/under design, it's hard to top the two plane single quad, as Ted's figures show. The multiple carb setups do look so cool, however, that one can hardly pass them up, and they will perform, as well.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
I was thinking you made that observation on backfire, along with other issures .

Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
It's that easy?
You gave me quite a few chuckles. Thanks. .

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Guess I will have to agree to disagree with you. I use the Uni-Syn to set up the outer carbs, not "turned JUST ENOUGH to pick the blades off of closed position".

The best I can tell from your picture you do not have a progressive linkage. If you study my posts more carefully, you will see that my comments about lifting the throttle blade slightly open was for a PROGRESSIVE linkage.

As I said, with a straight throttle linkage, the Uni Syn will be necessary, and all three will need to contribute idle air/mixture equally.

You did a great job with this and I TOTALLY understand your wish to do it. A high rise and a Holley is almost always superior to a multi carb setup, but for those of us who enjoy the challenge and cool factor of a multi carb setup, nothing else will do. You and I are probably two percenters. The other 98% are lacking either the carb savvy, patience or time and are perfectly happy with the same carburetion as the other 98%.

BTW, what vehicle is this Y Block setting in?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Doc, here is a closer picture for you, it is progressive, just kind of hidden behind the S/S fuel lines. Sorry guys, it is not in a truck but my '55 Ford Ranchwagon... is it OK if I still visit your site? ha,ha

Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
I have been a 55/56 fan from the time I climbed into my Dad's brand new '56 Customline Victoria with a 272 and overdrive at the age of seven. I still have a fancy to have another one.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Yblockhead, I really like the throttle cable bracket. Later this year I want to duplicate it or do something similar. I dont care much for mine, though it works.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Mike, are you using a throttle cable also? The other cable in the picture is for the kickdown for the C-4. If I remember correctly you have a manual trans so of course you won't need that. The bracket itself is aluminum that I polished.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going with a 3X2 set-up