Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to fix this aftermarket '08 style mirror

Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to fix this aftermarket '08 style mirror

I bought a set of the '08 style mirrors from 1A Auto that have attracted a lot of buzz on here lately. The install was easy, and I loved them.

That was, until someone ran into one of them and broke the glass. I can't seem to find correct-fit replacement glass anywhere. The closest I found was an OEM part made by Burco, but it is about a half inch too short for these mirrors. The couple auto glass places around here both said they are not allowed to cut mirrors to fit anymore. (An upside to the OEM glass, thought, is that the heating element covers much more surface area than what came with these mirrors.) 1A Auto does not sell the glass to fit these, and seem not to know of any source that might.

When they were new, I would have recommended them to anyone. Given the trouble I seem to be having, I would probably recommend AGAINST buying these.

It seems my options are to either buy another whole mirror or make this replacement glass work. Replacing the whole thing is expensive and wasteful. I'm not an environmentalist, but I can't see dumping this thing in a landfill somewhere when the only thing broken is the top piece of glass.

I'm curious what ideas anyone might have to fill in roughly a half inch of space below the glass so it looks intentional and isn't too noticeable that it doesn't match the other side now.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
I bought a set of the '08 style mirrors from 1A Auto that have attracted a lot of buzz on here lately. The install was easy, and I loved them.

That was, until someone ran into one of them and broke the glass. I can't seem to find correct-fit replacement glass anywhere. The closest I found was an OEM part made by Burco, but it is about a half inch too short for these mirrors. The couple auto glass places around here both said they are not allowed to cut mirrors to fit anymore. (An upside to the OEM glass, thought, is that the heating element covers much more surface area than what came with these mirrors.) 1A Auto does not sell the glass to fit these, and seem not to know of any source that might.

When they were new, I would have recommended them to anyone. Given the trouble I seem to be having, I would probably recommend AGAINST buying these.

It seems my options are to either buy another whole mirror or make this replacement glass work. Replacing the whole thing is expensive and wasteful. I'm not an environmentalist, but I can't see dumping this thing in a landfill somewhere when the only thing broken is the top piece of glass.

I'm curious what ideas anyone might have to fill in roughly a half inch of space below the glass so it looks intentional and isn't too noticeable that it doesn't match the other side now.

Why not just go to the glass place with the dimensions, they shouldn't care what it's being used for.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by jspence105
Why not just go to the glass place with the dimensions, they shouldn't care what it's being used for.
I asked if they could cut something and the guy said it was illegal now. Not sure why.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
I asked if they could cut something and the guy said it was illegal now. Not sure why.
I'd try another shop. EVEN if it is illegal you'll find someone to do it. I can't imagine how cutting a mirror could be illegal. It's illegal to have smoked lens on your car and a dark tint on your front windows but I see that all the time so somebody is breaking the law.

I think it's more likely he didn't want to do the job.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just shop around in person. If you call they'll just say no

Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
I've only found two shops in the area. Both said the same thing.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Land of the free....unless you want to get a mirror cut.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I've only found two shops in the area. Both said the same thing.
Hell Andrew, gimme a couple days to check, but I'll give measurements to shops in my area and see if they'll do it.

Stewart

Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Just shop around in person. If you call they'll just say no
LOL. I did hit one of them in person. I had a hard time getting the woman behind the counter to understand that these were not the stock mirrors for a 2001 even though I told her they were aftermarket 2008. She kept looking at the Burco book and saying "yeah, right here it is - Excursion."

Fortunately the guy I talked to this morning was more knowledgeable. He suggested putting tape along the bottom.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Fordsdad
Senior User
The Burco replacement mirror is made to the exact size of a oem template. It would appear that the 08 style mirrors you have are knock off's that are close but not exact to OEM as most ebay items are.

With regards to glass shops not willing to cut you a replacement mirror because it is illegal is true. Automotive mirror is reflective on both sides with difinitive reflection/refraction properties. Residential/house mirror is glass with a silvering painted on one side to create the mirror image which does not meet FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Due to the litigious society we live in, most glass shop's would not be willing to cut you a replacement mirror out of "house mirror". However, Burco does sell blank sheets for glass shops to cut mirrors for vehicles with mirrors that are not in thier catalogue.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
sorry to hear about your breakage, but you have brought up something interesting that I don't think any of us know. I went out and measure my A1Auto mirrors and got the following measurements.

diagonal: 10 1/4"
diagonal (other way): 10 3/4"
width: 8"

anyone have the actual OEM mirror measurements?