Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

EGR Blockoff with Diesel

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Blockoff with Diesel

OK guys, I'm sure some of you have some experience with this. 2003 6.0 Diesel. Should I block off the EGR feed rather than upgrade the EGR cooler? What are the odds of failing emissions in MA? It's an F350 so I get the new expensive inspection. I think it is just for opacity but maybe soon it might change? I'd rather pro-actively deal with this issue in advance the best way I can. What have you guys done? You can use fake names if you need to .

Steve

Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,036 Likes on 4,146 Posts
Hey Steve...I showed this post to our diesel techs this afternoon. They said that doing so would trigger a Check Engine Light. You would not pass emissions.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Hey Steve...I showed this post to our diesel techs this afternoon. They said that doing so would trigger a Check Engine Light. You would not pass emissions.
Did they say what part of the EGR mod would trigger the CEL? Specifically if the EGR valve was still installed and connected but the entrance to the EGR cooler was sealed would the computer still know? Does it have a way to know if the EGR circuit is blocked or is this related more to cases where the EGR valve is disconnected or removed?

Thanks for the help
Steve

Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,036 Likes on 4,146 Posts
Originally Posted by satwood
Did they say what part of the EGR mod would trigger the CEL? Specifically if the EGR valve was still installed and connected but the entrance to the EGR cooler was sealed would the computer still know? Does it have a way to know if the EGR circuit is blocked or is this related more to cases where the EGR valve is disconnected or removed?

Thanks for the help
Steve

Way more knowledge than I possess is necessary to answer that question. The service department is closed tomorrow...I'll check with them on Monday.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just stopped by to wish a happy new year to my Ma. pals and saw this...maybe I can help a little.

There are two IAT (intake air temperature) sensors on our 6.0's. IAT #1 is just behind the air filter, and IAT #2 is downstream of the EGR flow in the intake manifold. With the EGR flow disabled IAT #2 will recognize that the air temperature is 'out of range' (not hot enough).....that's what will trigger the CEL.

Here's the explanation of what the IAT sensors do....from the 6.0 bible.

IAT #1 : Page 59: Electrical Components

IAT #2 : Page 60: Electrical Components

I had to make a decision as to what I wanted to do earlier this year when my EGR cooler cracked. I decided to upgrade to the more robust cooler from Neal Technologies: Ford EGR Cooler Upgrade

Since California is going to begin emissions testing this year, I didn't see deleting the components as an option.

Search this Thread