Alternator not charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator not charging

Wanted to put this here and maybee catch some f you guys who dont visit the other forms but have expertice in this problem.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7766485

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Jeff

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
That is helpfull.

A good charge of the batteries overnight and I am back to my orignal problem but a touch diffrent.

When I run down the road the truck charges on the guage at about 15-16 with the battery light flickering on occasion. then every now and then I hear a click under the dash and the guage fluxuates wildly and the battery light comes on,,

I am going to run a chassis ground tonight to make sure the alt is grounded,, Otherwise i am out of ideas.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
Wel there must have been issues with the second one as well because it never would charge.
I got fed up today and went to the stealership and got a reman motorcraft. That did it because now at least I have 14.2 volts so it is now finally charging however

I still have a battery light on and on occasion the voltage output spikes.

I still have that clicking noise coming out of the fuse box.

At least I can drive it,,, I just need to figure out the problem from here.

Went over all the grounds again and the battery terminals. Everything has continuity and shows little or no resistance..

Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
GLoiselle
New User
Seperate voltage regulator? Or a relay loosing ground for gauge in fuse block.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
It SHOULDN"T have a seperate voltage regulateor as the alternator has it inside, but don't take that to the bank. I am still following wires. I think the grounds are a reasonable possibility. I spent last night chasing them. Have had some improvement with the Motorcraft rebuild. At least I am charging now, just gotta figure out this light.

The relay quit clicking so I am not able to figure out which it is. But I will find that it is just a matter of time.

Thanks for the input keep it coming.. I am going to have the batteries load tested tonight for peace of mind. They are just over a year old so they SHOULD be ok,,, but again,,, no guarantees so we will check them.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
ALL rebuilds (most all anyway) can and do fail as soon as they are used....go get another....that's why they are warrantied!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM
PlowGood
New User
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande
Wanted to put this here and maybee catch some f you guys who dont visit the other forms but have expertice in this problem.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7766485

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Jeff

So how's that alternator problem now?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
As it turned out after I believe 6 rebuilds that did not work the final A motorcraft straight form a ford dealer had the wrong voltage regulator in it. Long story short the 12.00 part cost me hundreds and alot of grief.

I haven't had an issue since paying an auto electric shop tio find and fix the problem. They almost missed it because they would bench test the alt, and it was fine but not on the truck. Finally to my prodding I talked to him about the regulator and asked him to put a new one in because it was the only thing that had not been tried, it worked. He was supprised but accepted the fix.

My next new issue is I seem to have weak glow plugs this winter,,, time to replace I guess.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
PlowGood
New User
Originally Posted by Rio_Grande
As it turned out after I believe 6 rebuilds that did not work the final A motorcraft straight form a ford dealer had the wrong voltage regulator in it. Long story short the 12.00 part cost me hundreds and alot of grief.

I haven't had an issue since paying an auto electric shop tio find and fix the problem. They almost missed it because they would bench test the alt, and it was fine but not on the truck. Finally to my prodding I talked to him about the regulator and asked him to put a new one in because it was the only thing that had not been tried, it worked. He was supprised but accepted the fix.
Maybe a related problem, alternator is fine for about 30 minutes. Then stops charging. When it cools down, it charges again. Second one to do this problem. Maybe bad rebuilds w/wrong regulator. I keep telling the truck owner to buy an aftermarket new heavy duty high amp at low rpm, unit.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Rio_Grande
Junior User
Make shure it is from a place he can take it back. The ford dealer offerd that service but when I came back insisted it was not bad and I had some other issue. I have had good and bad luck with them, felt like this was bad.

IMHO were I to do it again I would take the one that was on the truck working before it went bad to a REPUTABLE auto electric shop and pay for the rebuild. I am lucky I have a good shop about 40 miles from me. They will get all my business from now on. Rebuilt a tractor starter for me for 120, replacement from a auto store was 340..