1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

5R55E Ford Transmission slippage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 PM
SDI
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5R55E Ford Transmission slippage

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger with 4.0 engine that has a 5R55E automatic transmission. The transmission started slipping in drive or reverse. The truck will barely move in either direction. I can manually put the transmission in first gear and it appears to take off normally. I can then shift it to second and it also appears normal. When I place it in drive the engine races with no power to the wheels. I have replaced the transmission filter and oil with new and the problem still exist. Has anyone ever had this problem and could you tell me what it may be.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:41 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

What was the condition of the old fluid, filter & what kinds of deposits were in the pan & on the magnet????

When you take off in 1st gear & let off the gas, do you have engine braking????

What happens with the up shifting when you switch the OD Off????

Have you had a tranny shop scan the tranny computer for trouble codes, if so, post ALL of the code Numbers????

Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM
SDI
New User
Ford 5R55E Transmission Slippage

I drove the vehicle to make the test requested. The further I drove the vehicle the more it started to slip in all gears. I lost second gear even when it was manually placed in second. I managed to make it to my work to scan the vehicle. I scanned the vehicle with Ford PDS and Star Scan tools. Both tools showed codes in the PCM and GEM modules. The codes for the PCM were PO171, PO174 and PO401. The GEM module has B1302, B1322, B1352 and B1398. I found no codes related to transmission issue.

When I drained the old fluid it was dark in color but did not smell burnt due to high temp or clutch slippage. The magnet did have a little magnetic particles but most of the debree appeared to be sludge buildup. Before the vehicle started slipping in all gears I could feel the unit brake when the gas pedal was released. Now it only does that in first gear. When the OD switch is on or off it makes no difference in the slipage. Do you think this may be a valve body problem or something in the clucth packs.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It could be a lot of things:
1998 Ranger Workshop Manual - Automatic Transmission — 5R55E

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Engagement Concerns: No Forward in (D) Position and No Reverse

207B — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
· Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, internal transmission wiring harness, PCM, TP, RPM, VSS, EPC
· Run Self-Test; refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual . Carry out pinpoint tests using the diagnostic tool. Repair as required. Clear DTCs, road test and rerun Self-Test.

307B — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Fluid
· Incorrect level
· Adjust to correct level.

Incorrect Pressures
· Incorrect band/clutch application pressures, line pressure low, EPC pressure low
· Check line pressure at tap. Carry out line pressure and stall speed tests. See the line pressure chart for specifications. If pressure is high/low, check the following possible components: main control, pump assembly.

Filter and Seal Assembly
· Filter damaged, plugged; seal damaged, cut or missing
· Inspect for damage and install new parts.

Main Control Assembly
· Screw out of torque specification
· Tighten to specification.

· Gasket damaged, off location
· Inspect and install a new gasket.

· Separator plate damaged
· Inspect for damage. Repair as required.

· EPC, solenoid stuck, damaged, O-ring damaged or out of bore
· Inspect for damage. Carry out solenoid function test as listed in electrical routine. Repair as required.

· Forward modulator valve/EPC boost valve (207), pressure boost valve (208), EPC blow off valve, spring, damaged, missing, misassembled, stuck, bore damaged
· Inspect for damage. If damaged, install a new main control. If parts are missing, install new parts or main control. If misassembled, reassemble correctly. Do not stone, file or sand valves. This will remove the anodized finish and may result in further main control or transmission damage.

· Wrong component used in rebuild
· Verify that correct components were used.

Pump Assembly
· Screws out of torque specification
· Tighten screws to specification.

· Cross leaks

· Front pump seal worn or damaged

· Seal on inner pump gear damaged

Front One-Way Clutch Assembly
· Front one-way clutch damaged
· Determine cause of condition. Repair as required.

Mechanical
· Mechanical damage
· Check splines on turbine input shaft and overdrive carrier, overdrive one-way clutch, center shaft, forward clutch, forward carrier and output shaft.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by SDI
I drove the vehicle to make the test requested. The further I drove the vehicle the more it started to slip in all gears. I lost second gear even when it was manually placed in second. I managed to make it to my work to scan the vehicle. I scanned the vehicle with Ford PDS and Star Scan tools. Both tools showed codes in the PCM and GEM modules. The codes for the PCM were PO171, PO174 and PO401. The GEM module has B1302, B1322, B1352 and B1398. I found no codes related to transmission issue.

When I drained the old fluid it was dark in color but did not smell burnt due to high temp or clutch slippage. The magnet did have a little magnetic particles but most of the debree appeared to be sludge buildup. Before the vehicle started slipping in all gears I could feel the unit brake when the gas pedal was released. Now it only does that in first gear. When the OD switch is on or off it makes no difference in the slipage. Do you think this may be a valve body problem or something in the clucth packs.
Well if you have engine braking in 1st gear, the valve body gasket is probably ok.

The deposit load sounds normal, sounds like the fluid needed changing, so good idea to do that & change the filter imo.
BTW did you continue on with a full fluid pumpout after the pan drop & filter change????

I'd do a line pressure test next, along with having the tranny computer scanned for codes & post any found.

EDIT: Did this tranny problem happen suddenly after some event, or slowly over time????

I'd also start a new thread & list the trouble codes you posted, as they aren't tranny related & should be addressed separately in a new thread. Right now they sound like a vacuum leak & in cabin wiring problems.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
SDI
New User
Transmission Slip

I spoke with my son who was driving the truck when the problem occured. He indicated he was coming to a stop in forward and put the gear shift in reverse before he came to a complete stop.

I drained the fluid and removed the valve body. The gasket did not appear to have been blown. I did find some of the valves sticking in the bores and some slight scoring on spool valves and pistons. Do you know where I can get a breakdown of the valve body to make apsolutely sure all the componets are reassembled correctly. I had difficult time removing one of the valves and I am not 100% sure it is back together correctly. I had one other valve assembly I could remove from the body. The valve moves freely but I am afraid I will damage the body or valve if I am not careful.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
pawpaw
Go to the "Tech Info" thread atop this forum & scroll down to the drive train section & you'll find a link to valve body repair that might be helpful.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:31 PM
immortal_white_tiger
New User
Same problem! Ford ranger 07 2.3l 2wd

What did you do to fix it???!!!

Old 06-26-2021, 04:14 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by immortal_white_tiger
What did you do to fix it???!!!
OP made the three posts you see in this thread at the end of 2009. Last time he was here was January 2nd, 2010.

What he described there requires a transmission rebuild.