Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Label 68 Bronco 4.6 4V and 42" MTRs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you going to build the motor a bit more even though it is stout as it is?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rdFre@K
So far... I've liked everything you did on this build except this...

Just looks strange. Plus, I don't think I would have welded to the body like that. I doubt, the body will hold the weight of the rig on a rock. Of course, the weight will be distributed through that whole section. Just looks... strange to me. LOL!!!

I'd have made them bolt ons to the frame. and left the 1x3 square tube level. But, to each their own.
It's my own thing. I do a lot of full body rigs and there are two theories to the way I like to run them. One I get more welding area by rotating the 2"x6" heavy wall this way and it creates a push pull instead of just a lateral arm that when on an obstacle either puts all the force on the welds or gives and dents or destroys the rocker anyways. By mounting it this way and welding on both long sides of the slider the tube shares the load when hammering across rocks. Second it sticks out from the body basically giving me a pivot point and keeping the obstacles away from the body.

Originally Posted by patrickke
are you going to build the motor a bit more even though it is stout as it is?
Nah, I've already had it gone thru once. I've ran it for the past two years and when we went through it and gave a few areas a peak everything looked cool. I'd say my biggest worry is keeping it cool so I don't blow the heads.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
yeah those heads aren't cheap we have a cobra and everything costs a little more

Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
UPDATE 3/30/10

Well starting to get busy again. Got the steering column in and firewall cut, pulled the cab and got to work on the body. Taking it down for Line X Friday.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
what year is that white beast next to the bronco in the forklift pic?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
what year is that white beast next to the bronco in the forklift pic?
That's my new Diesel Comp Rig, the 1962 F350 6.0 Powerstroke. There is a thread on here with some pics of it. I have some updates that I'll be adding tonight or tomorrow since I'm getting her ready for Ennis Texas, NHRDA Diesel Nationals next weekend, April 10th.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
that thing looks pretty sweet... any chance of you bringing that to riff raff east lol?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
that thing looks pretty sweet... any chance of you bringing that to riff raff east lol?
lol I wish. This is my furthest trip that way I have planned. Other than Texas next week I plan on going to Colorado for ATS and Utah for the Edge events.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
oh well it was worth a try man

Old 03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What area of Texas you going through? Any chance of stopping by Alb NM? if so, PM me, I'd like to buy you a drink...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by F0rdFre@K
What area of Texas you going through? Any chance of stopping by Alb NM? if so, PM me, I'd like to buy you a drink...
Not too sure, but gotta make it a straight run. Rain Check. I can't leave till after work Thursday.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
UPDATE 4/3/10

So we took it over to get LineXed in Gilroy on Friday. I'm glad he has the right stuff to do the job. I used to use a Rhino Line place but it was always a pain cause they didn't have a fork lift to get the cabs around or anything. So between now and Tuesday when we pick it up it'll just be finish welding in all the brackets and gussets on the frame and painting it. All the rest of the equipment seems to be on the way so it seems like things are really going to start picking back up come next week. Ballistic got the rod ends out on Friday, the Aluminum links left Branik on Wednesday, and the gauges all left Florida on Thursday. The only thing that I didn't get what I wanted was the gas tank. I wanted BC Broncos 23 Gal cause it has a slide adjustment you can use with any size body lift, but it was on back order. So I had to settle for a 20 Gal from Crazy Horse and it showed up within 2 days. Hopefully I'll have it tuning in 2 weeks.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
UPDATE 4/7/10

Lots of new pics! Things are starting to heat up. It was like an early Christmas yesterday. I'd been cleaning up the frame and finishing up the gussets for the link brackets and the body ended up taking an extra day at LineX. Good thing cause it took me a little longer than I expected on the brackets. I think I'm going to stick to stack welding rather than trying to lay down continuous beads in tight spots. So yesterday while we were painting the frame here's what showed up. Ballistic Billet Rod Ends, Branik Aluminum Links, and the body. I ended up short handed but my buddy was able to help me setup the links before he took off so I could finish them up. It was a pain getting the motor back in and the body unloaded by myself but luckily I had a full trailer of ratchet straps. The forklift looked like it was a launderette party. Oh well I'm off to Texas for NHRDA this weekend but things should really get to pick up next week. I'm kinda glad I'm letting the paint dry over the weekend though.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
CONTINUED

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Broncoholic1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet what are you using for the undercoating 3M, NAPA?

What frame paint Chassis saver Matt,

Really mad some progress.

Quick Reply: Red Label 68 Bronco 4.6 4V and 42" MTRs