460?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
McQ your eyes don't replace a flow bench. In fact most people hurt flow by porting by eye. Fact is unported the D0VE heads flow about 10cfm better then the D3VE heads on mid and high lift flow for the intake and about 6cfm on the exhaust. Ported using standard valves the D3 heads OUTFLOW the D0VE heads above .600 lift on the intake (pretty much dead even up to that point) the D0 heads do have about 10cfm advantage still on the exhaust. With CJ valves the D0VE heads are a little better above .600 lift but it's around 5cfm (about 15 on the exhaust)

sorry but those do NOT equal a 50hp gain. And since most people building torque motors are smart enough to not use CJ valves the early heads lose that gain and even fewer people use cams with .600 lift on a truck engine there goes ANY gain the D0 heads have in an advantage. So the truth is that with cams typically used in truck engines at best the D0VE heads are equal to the D3VE heads all else being equal.

Also you better look again most D0VE heads ALSO have the exhaust hump.

And yes I am fully aware that the second character is a zero, I actually do know something about these engines.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:37 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Blown switching from D2VE heads to D3VE heads should bump compression a little over a full point on a 460. you would also have the advantage of the better combustion chamber so yes I would think it would improve it considerably.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Lets get these threads into the proper forum for the 460s

Old 12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
McQ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
McQ your eyes don't replace a flow bench. In fact most people hurt flow by porting by eye. Fact is unported the D0VE heads flow about 10cfm better then the D3VE heads on mid and high lift flow for the intake and about 6cfm on the exhaust. Ported using standard valves the D3 heads OUTFLOW the D0VE heads above .600 lift on the intake (pretty much dead even up to that point) the D0 heads do have about 10cfm advantage still on the exhaust. With CJ valves the D0VE heads are a little better above .600 lift but it's around 5cfm (about 15 on the exhaust)

sorry but those do NOT equal a 50hp gain. And since most people building torque motors are smart enough to not use CJ valves the early heads lose that gain and even fewer people use cams with .600 lift on a truck engine there goes ANY gain the D0 heads have in an advantage. So the truth is that with cams typically used in truck engines at best the D0VE heads are equal to the D3VE heads all else being equal.

Also you better look again most D0VE heads ALSO have the exhaust hump.

And yes I am fully aware that the second character is a zero, I actually do know something about these engines.

Mr. Monster,

I realize that you do know something about these engines. I just had to give you a little poop for coming at me kinda hard like you are a "moderator or something!!" All over a difference of a opinion rather than an actual board infraction.

I'm sorry, I thought we were speaking of HP here. I thought that's what our goal was? SNSTER did express a liking to build a 400 to 425 BBF. The bottom line is that you will not find many people in the know that will try and build an over 400 hp 385 series without using D0VE heads or better.

I assure you I am not eye porting. I tend to use the advice of people who do it for a living. Just look around...if D3's worked on over 400 hp engines,machine shops and head porters would be using them! I'm not going to drop names but the best BBF iron head porter in the counrty claims a 40 hp difference between the two and on bigger builds, he states "D0VE heads are making a dyno proven 730 + HP !!!"
In just this past summer I competed in 6 states, I saw many, many stock style to well built trucks using D3's and they didn't impress anyone like the D0VE's did. Go out and see what hard running trucks are using, they aren't going to be D3VE's.
The fast guys just don't feel the same way you do. And I am not talking exclusively about full out race machines like you may try to accuse me of, just well build over 400hp engines like SNSTER was inquiring about!!

I could be wrong,

McQ

Old 12-26-2009, 01:52 PM
fordsrgrt
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey McQ, welcome to the site,not sure if you knew but john was running D3's on hot pursuit with a 514,

Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
McQ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordsrgrt
hey McQ, welcome to the site,not sure if you knew but john was running D3's on hot pursuit with a 514,
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for not yelling at me !

Yes I know John has those boat anchors bolted on top of his block ! He sat here in my garage three years ago and asked about some things he should run and I had a set of D0VE's located for him. And a gear set up. But it didn't work out. Ron who doesn't run D3's, put them on Johns engine!?!?!? I couldn't figure that one out. John's runs good, but he does have a tone of gear. Ever seen that thing top out? About 35 miles an hour, 40 at the most!. 488's and a 208 !! It sure gets there fast though and doesn't miss a lick!

I was at Ron's a while back and I'd heard previously they were going to do a gear change. Ron confimed it! So I'm hoping for the best but with taller gears we'll getta see how well these D3's are gonna flow when the goo gets on the tires and now they're going to have to flow!! It may be faster, It may not!

We'll see!!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:27 PM
McQ
Freshman User
Lets get these threads into the proper forum for the 460s

Dear Mr. Monster,

Let me see if I can put this into perspective. This post has was started 5 days ago. It has grown to 5 pages with 65 posts. It was started as a 460 engine thread,which you yourself posted about 460's six seperate times. Yes six times.Then when someone doesn't agree with you, you pull the trump card and show who has the moderating authority and decide to move the postings to the correct area? I too am a moderator/administrater on a board, let me please help you out concerning professsional advice when it comes to conductiong your duties. If you are going to personally get involved in postings, another moderator probably should be the one to enforce the board rules in the areas you post. That way it would at least give the appearance that you weren't getting personally involved.

Good day sir,

Thanks,

Jeff McCue
166 Lakeview Dr.
Wataga. Il. 61488
309-337-8888
mccue@grics.net

Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Jeff the move didn't have anything to do with you. I just didn't move them originally figuring they wouldn't live long and then the holiday etc. I just post I moved it so everyone will get a notice they can click on and find the right forum plus puts them at the top of the forum that way.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In monsterbaby's defence, a few years ago the moderators would not have let 3 posts go, let alone 3 pages with out the post being moved.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
ok. just curious, since it DID get on the topic of heads (and threw my scatter-brains around a bit. ), what heads are on my 91?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

most likely E7TE heads if it's original. Fuelie heads are different and not interchangable with the older carb heads.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
most likely E7TE heads if it's original. Fuelie heads are different and not interchangable with the older carb heads.
even if i step back to a carb?

Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

if you go back to carb you will need to either find a way to adapt a carb to the fuel injection manifold or swap heads. You can't interchange the intakes on those heads, that is why they don't interchange. a regular carb intake won't work on the FI heads.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you go back to carb you will need to either find a way to adapt a carb to the fuel injection manifold or swap heads. You can't interchange the intakes on those heads, that is why they don't interchange. a regular carb intake won't work on the FI heads.
There is an adapter available to mount on the EFI intake that lets you run a carb on the EFI heads/intake combo. But for the life of me I can't remember who makes it.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
thats basically what im askin. if i need to swap that stuff. or are the heads that are on it decent heads, and i should look somewhere else to bump my power and economy?

Quick Reply: 460?