fuel relay not shutting off`

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
JaysRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel relay not shutting off`

i have a 91 ford f150 with the 302 and when i turn the key over sometimes the relay will kick on and off like it should and it will run fine.. but lately the fuel pump comes on and stays on and they truck will run for a min then die out and wont start . i replaced the relay thinkin it might be a problem but yet it does the same thing. i wanted to know if it might be a computer problem are something else

Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Pull the codes. If it's a computer problem, it will probably show up in the codes. It could also be the ignition module. The computer reads the signals from the ignition module, and assumes the engine is running, and activates the fuel pump relay. If it loses these signals, it assumes the engine has quit, and will shut the fuel relay off.

If you are missing the ignition signals, pull the codes and you might get a ignition module error code.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
JaysRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how would i go about pullin the codes? i know somewhat how to do it but i aint for sure with the older computers

Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Go to this URL to lean hout to run a self-test (pull codes):
Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

But sounds like a bad computer.
If so you may be able to pull the codes only when the key is on and the fuel pump is not running.