Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA

Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjgordo
Just get a convoy of F350’s up to the state house and call Fox New across the street to do a live broad cast stating your case about being charged for leisure use! Maybe then this will get the attention and other will join the fight and maybe some lawyer will help for plebiscite.
I really like this idea. Is there any way the MA chapter could actually organize enough of us to make this work? Just a peaceful protest and sincere display of democracy at work. I know it's a hard hill to climb, and I get angry sometimes, but I believe even in MA enough voices making a reasonable request can get things done. It's not huge money to the state and as long as we stay away from the arguments about truck safety (meaning avoid the inspection issue) we should at least be able to win the non-commercial debate...

State Senator Moore is at least willing to listen, though I can tell he's not too excited about this issue when I communicated with him. But he also is a decent guy who answers questions and speaks honestly about his positions. Maybe we could convince him and make him an ally.

As far as running for office, I'd never get elected in MA. I have far too many issues with the way things are done and not nearly enough people around me who want government to just stay out of our lives like I do.

Steve

Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by satwood
I really like this idea. Is there any way the MA chapter could actually organize enough of us to make this work? Just a peaceful protest and sincere display of democracy at work. I know it's a hard hill to climb, and I get angry sometimes, but I believe even in MA enough voices making a reasonable request can get things done. It's not huge money to the state and as long as we stay away from the arguments about truck safety (meaning avoid the inspection issue) we should at least be able to win the non-commercial debate...
I believe any form of organized protests cannot be sponsored or connected to FTE per the FTE Guidlines..

State Senator Moore is at least willing to listen, though I can tell he's not too excited about this issue when I communicated with him. But he also is a decent guy who answers questions and speaks honestly about his positions. Maybe we could convince him and make him an ally.
Just need to have more senators notified.. With Teddy out there may be a chance...

As far as running for office, I'd never get elected in MA. I have far too many issues with the way things are done and not nearly enough people around me who want government to just stay out of our lives like I do.

Steve
I hear that... Same thing with most people unless you have some money backing you..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
CampD
Senior User
One thing here not mentioned is that the insurance co's pretty much run the state (and now its called DOT here in mass) registry. There the ones who recomend that the truck be registared com. if you can get the insurance co to do it as a passager then youll be fine. I bought a 250 to get around the 10k limit, but I'm registared com (use it for buisness as you can see)

Old 12-25-2009, 04:27 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
my truck in my sig is 11,200 on the sticker and I have passanger plates, I have this conversation with many inspection stations and they have all told me that I am good, I pay $29 for my sticker every year and no issues?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:28 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by slowmans
my truck in my sig is 11,200 on the sticker and I have passanger plates, I have this conversation with many inspection stations and they have all told me that I am good, I pay $29 for my sticker every year and no issues?
Is your truck a DRW or SRW? I could not tell from your signature. It's very helpful to know you were able to get passenger plates.

WRT Insurance, My insurance agent was very sympathetic and in relative terms gave me a very good rate irrespective of the commercial plates. She said this is just the way the state wants it done, not something they (Safety Insurance) are pushing for. I don't know if she has the whole story or not.

Still no reply from the registry but in driving around town this week I saw a couple duallies with non-commercial MA plates on them. Did not have time to flag down the owners to find out more...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 PM
ehchvac
Senior User
One of my buddies a couple of weeks ago got pulled over by a state trooper on the pike and was given a $300.00 ticket for passenger plates on his dual rear wheel pickup truck.
No passenger plates on duals as of jan 2009, period.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Patrick11
New User
it seems like BS, here in maine they just rape you no matter what you have to register, there is no price difference on plates, unless its personalized, i run commercial plates on my 250 and its good to 9000 pounds and its no different if was to put passenger plates on it, the thing that cost extra is when you register for over 9000#, but the thing here in maine is people dont realize that with passenger plates the DOT will stop you and ticket you for towing a trailer with two snomobiles

Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
my truck is a single rear wheel

Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ehchvac
One of my buddies a couple of weeks ago got pulled over by a state trooper on the pike and was given a $300.00 ticket for passenger plates on his dual rear wheel pickup truck.
No passenger plates on duals as of jan 2009, period.
That's unfortunate. I would wonder if an appropriate legal appeal could bring up the bad wording in the rules I cited in the beginning and ambiguity on this matter. He might get the ticket thrown out if the registration was properly written and there was no effort to conceal the DRW part of the vehicle. Then it's the registry's fault if they renewed it against their own rules.

They have obviously made a rule for no one's benefit because real enforcement is too hard. There is nothing accomplished with commercial plates except bigger registration fees. The safety stuff is all handled separately with the new inspections.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AUGggg....
I'm begining to feel like charlie brown and the RMV is Lucy with the foot ball....

I pick up my 2010 F350 supercab SRW on wednesday. Called th insurance place they told me it had to have COM plate's

Guess i should have kept my f150 to tow my 10,000 gvw enclosed race car trailer.....

Thankfully the dealers doing the plate runing and 1st sticker.

Got to love ths state.....1st chance i get to own property over the boarder i'm going.

44Dwarf

Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 PM
satwood
Mountain Pass
It makes little sense in the grand scheme of things. Why punish us for being more safe? This rule will drive people to lower GVW trucks and more unsafe towing situations. I'll pay grudgingly because I prefer some margins in my setups.

44dwarf What kind of car do you race? Are you involved with any of the NASCAR series around here?

Steve

Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
I race 5/8 scaled vintage body cars called Dwarf cars or the newer PC name of MOD-LITE's If you've ever seen a legends car you've seen a dwarf with fender. Dwarfs came 1st and have more open rules.

heres a link to my site with a few pictures
44Dwarf's

I live in MA but race at Riverside speedway all the way up in Groveton NH.

The plan is to get a Forest river 24ft "Work and Play" toy hauler to replace my 20 wells cargo in a few years but i know i couldn't pull it with the f150 and never be able to buy truck and trailer at the same time. So we got a suppercab f350 with the V10. The only one in New England....took them two days to find one.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 AM
satwood
Mountain Pass
Wow, that's great. Looks like fun and fairly economical racing also. I must admit, that's the first I've seen a 944 towing anything! Cool

Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Ya i got the 944 for cheap. it was 14 years old and had 35,000 on it.
Sold it two year later for double and had a ball with it.

I put the hitch on it as a gag but then i found it towed great and stoped way better then my 86 dodge pick up...

Yes it can be a cheap form of racing! The car on the trailer (now the blue coupe) was 100% home built. I run stock motors most of the time freash out of the salvage yards. 1100cc bike motors in sideways with driveshaft down right side.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
ehchvac
Senior User
I was at the local dealer this morning they have a ton of f350's they cant unload because of the stupid mass reg laws.
Seems like everyone did, or is doing what I did, buying f250's and dumping f350's.
And now when they are ready to buy new, they are walking right past the f350's.
They still have 09's on the lot, oh well,... thanks massachusetts, buying one ton trucks was fun while it lasted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Commercial vs. Non-Com Registrations in MA