6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge Juice w/ attitude

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
kjf-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice w/ attitude

Hi,
I am thinking about purchasing a Edge programmer for my 07 F-250 6.0. I am having trouble deciding which one to get. Is the evolution better or the juice w/ attitude? Any input on that would be great. I have found an Edge juice w/ attitude on craigslist out of an 04 an wondered if it will fit my 07? Here s the link. EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE
Thanks,
kjf-250

Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll probably not get a recommendation for either of those here.

If you really want to do any kind of performance enhancement custom tuning is the better way to go. It will cost more money, but it's much safer for your truck.

If you do a search for SCT, X3, Spartan, Innovative or custom tuning you'll find enough reading on the subject to keep you busy all weekend

Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah No love for edge around here. You need to look really hard at the SCT. I recomend one from Eric at innovativediesel It is actually cheaper then the edge.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
You can have Innovative write you a transmission only file and still use the Edge if you are looking for dial a HP. Most of us use custom tuning. The Edge module only bumps line pressure to the transmission which is not a great idea.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Neither are really the best thing out there, but one is far worse then the other.

The Edge Juice module line is not good at all for the 6.0 as they do not really tune the ECM and TCM of the truck. They intercept, modify, and send out signals in order to gain the additional HP/TQ over stock. Not the safest way to go about getting gains. This is perhaps the biggest reason why Edge products have so may "eaten" trannys under it's belt and the torqshift is one of the best ones out there.

As to the Evolution, the biggest thing against it is that it isn't custom tunes. That isn't the most efficient way to go about getting the most out of your truck for your particular habits and needs. Some see really good gains, some see really bad gains and some see no gains at all, because of this one size fits all tuning that Edge products do. Also, because it isn't custom you also don't have the groundwork to expand with any other performance modifications if you should decide to go that route later on.

The big reason why the mediocre(or really just crap products) are better known is mainly due to the fact of running a good ad campaign and getting their name out there.

If it was me, I wouldn't get either one.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
KJF-250, Take their advice. They know what they are talking about and most of it is from experience and the rest from helping people here and other places with problems from the tuners that you are talking about.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Edge Juice your thinking about could very well give your transmission an attitude you might not like.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I just put a SCT X3 on my X and one of my worrys was the transmission shifts. No problems and feels better than stock. Do the research and you'll pick the right one

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 AM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a subject where Tex really shines. Don't you ever get tired of typing these out? Not trying to be a smart a$@ but man I don't think there's anything left of this horse. Someone needs to make a perminent post at the top of this forum about tuners.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran one for a few months ,, it's sitting in a drawer now , I need to unload it to someone who isn't on this forum lol
it really is a cool unit and man what a rush but I just got to nervous about warranty and tranny issues

Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SHAWN056.0
Don't you ever get tired of typing these out? Not trying to be a smart a$@ but man I don't think there's anything left of this horse.
Not really on this subject, because they(tuning companies) come out with different delivery systems for the trucks(however the actual method used by the different delivery system doesn't change) and that sometimes can get people due to that change. I've noticed that people tend to be more receptive when it comes to this, so that helps.

What I really can't stand to keep talking about is a/m intakes for our trucks. That's something that a/m companies don't invest more into, so the tech really doesn't change and people are still stuck with that mentality that stock, no matter what, isn't good. Most of the time that's true, but they actually got it right with the intakes. Plus, the actual negatives of an a/m intake are a little harder for people to grasp then it is with the tuners and I can understand that to a degree.

Originally Posted by Pitcher
Someone needs to make a perminent post at the top of this forum about tuners.

I agree, a good lengthy post on the pros and cons of tuners, I just don't know if that will happen. I've been hoping for yrs that they would put a sticky on the pros and cons of a diesel v. gas, but instead we still just get pissing matches every so often.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM
mhays2
Junior User
I have had an Edge w/Attitude for about three years. No problems, but I've read enough to make me start thinking I've been lucky.

I think I'm going to go with a SCT-X3.

I'm going to ask the folks at SCT about this on Monday, but, I'm thinking about puting my Edge in "stock" mode and continuing to use it for the gage and alert functions.

Has anyone out there done this?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mhays2
, but, I'm thinking about puting my Edge in "stock" mode and continuing to use it for the gage and alert functions.

Has anyone out there done this?

Quite a few have and some continue to do so without concerns(or atleast without concerns that they haven't posted about yet or have happen yet).

Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
keep in mind even if u use it just to monitor if you have any warranty left you wil jepordize it
the other thing you can do is sell it for 250 and buy the insight for the same money

Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zmann
keep in mind even if u use it just to monitor if you have any warranty left you wil jepordize it
the other thing you can do is sell it for 250 and buy the insight for the same money

Well, actually having gauges of any type run that risk. Mainly due to the fact that most people that run gauges more often then not run a tuner as well. Not everyone, but more often then not they do. There are very few that run just gauges.

Even though if you just run gauges and no tuner, you still should have your warranty remain intact, it boils down to wanting to fight the issue in arbitration or not. More often then not, "you'll" lose that fight for a variety of reasons.

Quick Reply: Edge Juice w/ attitude