6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Attended A 2011 Super Duty Preview Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attended A 2011 Super Duty Preview Today

Was invited to a preview today for the Super Duty. I'm not a techy but I'll give it a shot. This was a ford Fleet event so management from Ford Fleet was there as well as the lead engineer for the diesel systems team. I got some good one on one time with the lead engineer and I came away with the impression that this motor/transmission has been tested quite severely in a very short period of time. 400,000lkms in 6 1/2 months. A combination of chassis, dyno and real world testing. Taken from extreme cold to extreme heat in a minute and a half and then vise versa. Full throttle testing for 30 non-stop days. Some of the hilites, DEF last about 12000kms the equivalent of a scheduled maintenance period. Up to 20% increase in mileage over the 6.4. No torque/hp numbers but it is "significant", whatever that means. There is supposed to be an announcement in March regarding the numbers. Remote starter, saw it in use. man this thing is quiet. They started it up in the conference room which was about 60X80 and everyone was shocked at how quiet and no smell. I asked the engineer about EGT's and he told me about 800C max and I was surprised to hear that it would run around this temp under most conditions. A lot different then my 7.3. The truck looks great. In person the big grill and new headlights really blend well together. I like it. I am debating whether I need the new diesel or if I would be better served with the 6.2 gasser. My daily drive isn't a long one and when I tow, a couple of times a month, it isn't extremely heavy weight. I described my driving habits to the engineer and asked what type of affect he thought it would have and I again was surprised to hear with the new oil management system on it that my habits shouldn't be a concern. Asked about fuel leaking into the oil and if they were encountering much of a problem and was told no, nothing of concern. The interior is nice. As some have mentioned here it is a lot like they F150 but apparently the leather is much nicer. This is from one of their fleet customers so I'll take his word. I didn't spend a lot of time sitting in it but Ford has done a nice job on the interior. I don't know if this is new but there is some neat little storage under the back seats. Sorry folks I'm not a technical writer and I am sure others could have done a much better job given this opportunity, but I thought I would post what I found out. Oh and I was told the 2011 would be about $1400 more than a comparably equipped 2010, that is up here in Canada. Here's a couple of photos

Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
i don't care what anyone thinks or says....that thing is beautiful and if i had the cash i would buy the first one off the line if it was offered to me!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

now if we could just get some metric to standard conversions.....LOL

Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mxer0022

Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
400,000kms = approx 250,000
12,000kms = approx 8000

Lots to like about this truck. Unfortunately to get the one I want is going to cost me around 65K unless I wait for rebates and model year end, so the earliest I can see buying one will be fall 2011. I'd love to pony up this spring and the wife has told me to go ahead, buyt I just can't bear to part with that much cash.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 PM
elemint
Elder User
Wait for the next leg down in the economy coming soon. Ford will have a phone book of rebates for you.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, if you can harang the engineers.... tell them we really need better water and rustproofing on the electrical systems, both the ones outside the car and inside the car.

Moisture and road salt inside the cab is playing havoc with reliability.

Marine grade connectors on the outside is a must.

Inside, critical ones should be a much better connector, with better corrosion and moisture protection.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 AM
mschultz
Senior User
Sweet! Apparently the new truck is so amazing, it can be started inside a conference room filled with people and no one smells anything. The miracle motor is finally here!!!

So,,, what did they do with the bodies? I love Canada- hell, in the US there would be law suits everywhere!

Even more impressive is the fact that the Ford rep reportedly responded to the inquiry by stating that the truck would work for the questioner! Amazing! It will both idle and do light towing from time to time!!!!!! Where can I sign up for one of these amazing new products? The local ag paper advertises Dodge diesels for $31-33k. But I am willing to pay over $55k for one of these amazing (and BEAUTIFUL) new Fords. If only I could get one with extra branding... like "Hardware Hank" or "John Deere Parts" stitched into the headrests... that would be sweet!

-mike

Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM
mschultz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chep
400,000kms = approx 250,000
12,000kms = approx 8000

Lots to like about this truck. Unfortunately to get the one I want is going to cost me around 65K unless I wait for rebates and model year end, so the earliest I can see buying one will be fall 2011. I'd love to pony up this spring and the wife has told me to go ahead, buyt I just can't bear to part with that much cash.
Well if "the wife" says "go ahead" it must be an excellent investment opportunity! Buy a couple, they will probably go up in value over time!

-mike

Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mschultz
Well if "the wife" says "go ahead" it must be an excellent investment opportunity! Buy a couple, they will probably go up in value over time!

-mike
If it offends you that I am willing to spend the amount of money it would require in Canada to get what I want too bad. The fact the truck can be started indoors is a reflection as to how clean burning the diesel is. Believe me I didn't expect much less from a sales person other than confirming the truck would work for me. As I said I am debating whether I need a diesel or not but you apparently missed that part. I remember the days when my life was so empty that I would strike out against people and attempt to belittle them for no other reason than to try to make myself feel better. I am glad those days are far behind me.

Comparibly equipped Dodge diesels run around 65K up here as well. Everything is more expensive here, one of the prices you pay for universal health care. Welcome to the club.

Cheers

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM
zedosix
Junior User
Originally Posted by mxer0022
metric makes more sence especially in terms of temperature.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
97squarebody
Senior User
Originally Posted by mschultz
Sweet! Apparently the new truck is so amazing, it can be started inside a conference room filled with people and no one smells anything. The miracle motor is finally here!!!

So,,, what did they do with the bodies? I love Canada- hell, in the US there would be law suits everywhere!
Way to be rude and nasty mike.....

On another note, starting a vehicle indoors for a short period of time is still not uncommon at shows here in the US. When they introduced the last Cobra Mustang (Truck junky with a Mustang problem also.) they not only fired the car, they did a burnout/smoke show in the middle of the hotel floor in the dinning hall. Not so sure the Hotel apprecated the black burn marks on the floor but entertaining to the crowd none the less. From what I read from multiple sources, it was not planned but what do you expect when you combine a bunch of gear heads and a super cool shiny new toy. One of the SVT engineers knew where the keys were stashed.....

Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

switches

See the round swithes for the lights and 4x4 selector? If they are the same type as in the F-150, they can shove em. They feel cheap to me. That's one reason why I didn't buy the F-150.
Best, CB