1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DIY Regulated Return w/fuel bowl delete.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beanhead6D5
The lines from the front of the heads(driver and pass side)connect to the regulator.I fead the heads from the rear of the heads and returned from the front.

I have the gauge inline because the regulator didn't have the port for a gauge.
Sorry to spring up an old thread but I'm having some problems and this might be the fix!

I think I messed up my fuel bowl when cleaning it, so I want to delete it.

My fuel is supplied to the front of the block and returned from the rear, is it better to revers this as you did?

Do you have a filter after the fuel pump? I have a pre pump filter but thought I needed a post pump filter as well in case the pump broke.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
The way brad did it is just one way of doing it. You can run it up to the front. Vrads way just looks a little cleaner. Itp's kit comes from the front bc they say the fuel gets less heat from the turbo. In theory this is true but I don't think it makes a huge difference. Lott at diesel innovations comes in from the back too. Our fuel systems don't care where the fuel comes from.

I would run a post pump filter but be careful on running too restrictive filter. It may cause excessive wear on your pump. Unless you step up to a fuelab pump or a A1000 stick to a 10 or 15 micron filter.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
I would run a post pump filter but be careful on running too restrictive filter. It may cause excessive wear on your pump. Unless you step up to a fuelab pump or a A1000 stick to a 10 or 15 micron filter.
How would this work? Eliminate the pre pump I already have?

Are there any other post pumps I could use? Do I need really tight filter, ie 10 micron, post pump or would something bigger work and if the pump ever failed it would clog right away

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
You could. The stocker fuel filter is a 15 micron iirc. Brad with chime in about his filter set up. I beleive he had a 5 or 10 micron fuel filter with a built in water seprrator.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use 10 micron pre-pump, 2 micron post-pump, DI Regulated Return and the ITP fuel bowl delete block. I based my micron selections on research here and PSN.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Originally Posted by Orezona
I use 10 micron pre-pump, 2 micron post-pump, DI Regulated Return and the ITP fuel bowl delete block. I based my micron selections on research here and PSN.
Wow 2 micron, what type is it? Where can I get it?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NAPA
filter base napa #4770
2 micron NAPA Wix filter 3528

you want the 2 micron after the pump...i got some fitting to delete mine..already had the DI RR... just got the ITP bowl delete sitting on the table waiting to go in now...click on pic to see more..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
You gota love PSN filter talk,LOL.That's were my info came from also.

Originally Posted by DemonRace6
Sorry to spring up an old thread but I'm having some problems and this might be the fix!

I think I messed up my fuel bowl when cleaning it, so I want to delete it.

My fuel is supplied to the front of the block and returned from the rear, is it better to revers this as you did?

Do you have a filter after the fuel pump? I have a pre pump filter but thought I needed a post pump filter as well in case the pump broke.

The filter on the right is the pre-pump fuel water sept (10 micron).The one on the left is the post pump 2 micron.As you can see there both napa and easy to get.IIRC the factory filter is 2 mic.

All of these guys have you going in the right direction.Go back to my first post and there is more pics of the filter and pump set up.

I had very good luck with it this winter,no jelling at all with this set up.DIY is allways hard work but this was worth it.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
NAPA
filter base napa #4770
2 micron NAPA Wix filter 3528

you want the 2 micron after the pump...i got some fitting to delete mine..already had the DI RR... just got the ITP bowl delete sitting on the table waiting to go in now...click on pic to see more..

I used a Baldwin base from Dennis at ITP and the same filter as you Ron.

On a quick side note, Ron you will need to make space between the HPOP reservoir and the delete block so the rear lines of the DI RR will reach. I used two big hex nuts that are big enough to just slide over the threads of the filter bowl bolts. Worked good.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
nice tip Jason thanks...im doing a complete fuel system soon...starting with one of these two...blue or red???

Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
nice tip Jason thanks...im doing a complete fuel system soon...starting with one of these two...blue or red???

You use your truck for work? What is the advantage of one of these?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
work and DD..as of this year she doesn't get driven in the winters..them are sumps in the pic...gravity feeds the pump more then suction... no more air in the lines..no need for a lift pump.... they only hang down about 2 inches.. I will be building a skid plate for it as well..

Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
work and DD..as of this year she doesn't get driven in the winters..them are sumps in the pic...gravity feeds the pump more then suction... no more air in the lines..no need for a lift pump.... they only hang down about 2 inches.. I will be building a skid plate for it as well..
I was wondering what you were talking about, I can't see your pics. Blue.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
I was wondering what you were talking about, I can't see your pics. Blue.
do you need glasses?? lol

thanks for your opinion.. I was thinking blue as well.. everything under the hood is blue as well...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
01 EXCURSION MORRIS
Senior User
SUBSCRIBING

Quick Reply: DIY Regulated Return w/fuel bowl delete.