High Pitch whine or squeal - 05 expdy 70k - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

High Pitch whine or squeal - 05 expdy 70k

Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
skilowyo
New User
skilowyo is starting off with a positive reputation.
i talked to a guy at work this morning and he said it might be the water pump. He said i could spray some wd-40 or such up the drain hole and see if that helps. If it does than he also mensioned that the bearing isn't far from going out. Anybody have this happen to them before or have heard of this?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM
skilowyo
New User
one more note, it seemed to have went away yesterday when the truck warmed up.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skilowyo View Post
one more note, it seemed to have went away yesterday when the truck warmed up.
Maybe the new bearings in your new pulleys just need a little breaking in?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 AM
skilowyo
New User
I have been doing some more reading and some people say that the synchronizer/shaft for the cam can cause the squeal. This seems to be on the pre 2000 models that have the vane style timing usnit. My truck seems to only hve a sensor, so would it also have the shaft that could cause the squealing?

As for the bearing breaking in, i have only been driving in 5 mile incraments to work, so maybe i will try taking a longer trip this weekend adn pray that it will go away. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 PM
00GT
Elder User
00GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say the alternator. Did you spin it when you had the belt off? My 97' Expy has this noise and its the alternator. But its charging good and i dont want to spend $200 right now So i dont go far from home...lol

Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 AM
efair
New User
efair is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use a squirt bottle with a very focused jet of plain water to squirt the belt a few times -- if the squeal goes away for a few seconds a new belt will usuallly clear it up.

Also I use a hose with one end to my ear, moving the other end from pulley to pulley to find the culprit... being sure to use a long enough hose so you don't have to put your hands into the moving parts.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM
efair
New User
efair is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should've mentioned too on one of my older V-belt cars one of the accessories had gotten off-plane so that the belt wasn't riding the pully just right... that caused a lot of grief. A new belt would clear it up for a little while then it would return... only careful visual inspection and then replacement of the mounting bushing repaired it (it was the alternator).

Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM
goldnpaw
New User
goldnpaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Follow-up testing

Noise also happens in park, only at very tight rpm range...blasted surpentine belt and all idlers, WD 40...no effect at all. Noise could be in / near air intake...but happens when in park. Again, only when its below 30 degrees. RPM range 1600-2000........when parked, rpm range 3000 - 3500.....anything outside of this range and the whine goes away. Does not sound like electrical noise at all. going to have wife hold strong idle while I pop hood and determine more specific noise origination. Will advise what I find.

Mark

Originally Posted by goldnpaw View Post
Yup...looking for answers...lots of opinions out there....I purchased my expedition new. For 5 years now, when the temperature falls below freezing their is a whining noise in a very tight range within RPM's. Engine can be hot or cold. You can hold the noise steady in the throttle, let off it fades away...speed up...it goes away......I dont remember if it occurs in park, but believe it does. If its 35 out, its totally quiet....vehicle has 87,000 on it....mostly highway, and is extremely well cared for and very very smooth. Everything on vehicle except battery and tires, is still original. Fluids / filters changes always on time or ahead of schedule. Any thoughts on troubleshooting, or fixes??

Thanks
Mark

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 AM
skilowyo
New User
I will try to check te alternator tonight. What should i look for when spinning it freely? Can antifreeze that isn't diluted enough cause the squeeling issue at all? I was thinking about getting a tester and testing it soon. I did by this truck used, so I don't know if they have the correct ratio or not.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to spray anything on the belt while it is running due to it being so cramped in there and it only bein 3" away from the fan........makes whatever you spray in there just blow all over the engine instead.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
skilowyo
New User
progress finally!

Alright, took the belt off and checked the alternator last night. There was a small squeak every rotation and it seemed a little rough, but spun just fine. I tried to hose down the front bearing with silicone spray and penetrating lube best i could (pulley completely blocks acess to it). Drove it this morning and the squeal was about 95% better. Looks like it was the alternator after all.

Can i split the alternator apart and greese or replace the front bearing? I will also plan on turning the armature and cleaning up the bushings while I'm in there. Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these alternators before and have any advice or know where I can get a repair kit?

Hopefully my discovery will help you with your issue as well.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
skilowyo
New User
Finally fixed

Ok, sorry for the late responce, but holidays are a $#@!%. Found new bearings for the alternator. Pulled it apart which was very difficult. Replaced the bearings, re-mounted the alternator, and squeal was gone and has been for 2 weeks now. Bearings were $30 compared to $220 for an alternator. Prob have about 50k miles left on the brushes, so def worth it. Godd Luck!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 PM
00GT
Elder User
00GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I didn't know you could replace the bearings yourself, nice to know! I'll have to look into replacing the bearings on mine. $30 sounds great!!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
A basic tool that should be in every DIYer and mechanics tool box is a mechanic's stethescope. They are amost always less than $10 at most parts stores and invaluable in locating some of the oddball and irritating noises that are trying to tell us something.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
SUVLOVER62
New User
SUVLOVER62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Several posts on other sights indicate one of two problems; Idler pulley or alternator depending upon specific noise and conditions for generating noise. Several resolved by replacing alternator.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM
4WheelDriveVan
Freshman User
4WheelDriveVan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar noise. Tried three different quality belts, replaced three different pulleys and nothing seemed to work. Later I took off the belt, washed it with dish soap and cleaned all the pulleys with brake cleaner. The squeak has been gone now for over 10,000 miles.

Sometimes throwing parts at a problem is not the solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Pitch whine or squeal - 05 expdy 70k

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.