Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Got my truck back today - 49 extended cab

Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
iateatoad
Freshman User
iateatoad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got my truck back today - 49 extended cab

I just got my truck back from being painted. He said he could do it in a month, took 12. Anyways, its a 49 F1 with an extended cab, on a 78 4x4 f-150 chassis with a 351m and a c6 automatic.
Ive got to rewire everything, and put new brake and fuel lines plus a bunch of other stuff. Really, really excited to get back to work on it though.

Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Very cool! The final assembly is the fun part. It means you're on the downhill slide to cruzin'! ;-)

Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
HD74
Elder User
HD74 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pretty kool! Take your time and have fun putting it back together.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
f4fran
Senior User
f4fran is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks awesome!! What is the wheelbase on the F-150? Any frame mods??

Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Excellent

Looks great

Bobby

Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 AM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
NIce work on the X-cab

Very cooll truck; nice work.

I too am curious about the frame, and sectioned addition.

Later

Tom

Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
irondragon79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking good. I know I really need to get my butt out to the garage and get to finishing up my F-3

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM
iateatoad
Freshman User
49 Ford 4x4 Extended Cab

First of all, I cant take any credit on the the custom work to the cab or the frame. All of that was already done by a previous owner. I wish I had skills to do metal working like that, maybe sometime in the future. The frame isn't modified much the best I can tell, it was shortened, by how much I couldn't tell you. I can measure when I get back to it this Thursday. Ill post as many pictures as I can find of it when I had it disassembled. It looks like it was simply torched off to the first cross member in the rear. As far as further modification to the frame, there doesn't seem to be much. It seems that the cab was modified to fit the frame, rather than vice versa. The front cab mounts are 78 f-150 , actually everything from midway down the firewall to just forward of the seat is 78 f-150.

All of this started with me trying to replace a leaking heater core, which by bad design by the previous owner, was only accessible by removing the whole front clip. At this point I realize that the front cab mounts were composed of little more that rust, and that my floorboards were composed of rust and carpet.

The rear windows are pop out windows from some type of Nissan, probally an older extended cab pickup. They are not the best looking part of the truck, but I could try to find a part number if anyones interested. The dash was also modified to take the gauge from the 78 as well, which is quite ugly, but will have to work till I get done with my masters and start making money again.

Ive got headers on it right now, a dual exhaust ready to go in, and a intake manifold and carburetor that will go on after some cleaning up and rebuilding.
I also need to find an seat for it, couldn't stand the bucket seats I pulled out.
Looking for a bench seat that will fit and lean forward, with some adjustment if possible so the fiancee could drive if need be.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 AM
iateatoad
Freshman User
Bumpers

Oh and what do yall think about bumpers - pipe bumpers painted black, stock painted black, or eventually some shiny stainless steel or chrome? I'm thinking pipe bumpers, as it is my cheapest option and seems like it would go with the general theme of the truck.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
1PieceAtATime
Junior User
1PieceAtATime is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, that supercab is really cool. And nothin' tougher than that powertrain...Fun and functional !

Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
iateatoad
Freshman User
Frame

For those of you that were interested in the frame, this is all I have on this computer, I'll look other places.
This was one of those rare times that it snowed and stuck to the ground in southeast texas.

Attached Images    
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Great looking project but personally I'd do something about those windows behind your doors, they just don't look right. I'm not meaning to offend you. I guess it's kind of late since you prettied it up with paint though.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
iateatoad
Freshman User
Oh it doesn't offend me. I don't like them either. I'm eventually going to do something about them. But when you short on both funds and skills like me you have to choose your battles.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider
rtcalabrojr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Now thats something you dont see everyday! Cool truck!! Glad to see that you are happy with the way it is with time and money plus the skillz you gain over time you will be wayyyyyyyy happy! Keep us posted!!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
irondragon79 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
Great looking project but personally I'd do something about those windows behind your doors, they just don't look right. I'm not meaning to offend you. I guess it's kind of late since you prettied it up with paint though.
I've also noticed the windows and somehow they just don't quite fit in. I know with my extended cab, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to build windows that would look stock. The problem with mine is that I'm going to have to get custom glass made and as of right now still don't have a means of opening them. They may end up just stationary windows on mine.

I built my windows using the rear portions of 2 sets of "junk" doors I was able to save from a fellow FTE'r before they headed to the scrap pile.

I do like your truck though. Nice to know mine won't be the only one with late 70's 4x4 running gear, except mine is 3/4 ton

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my truck back today - 49 extended cab

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.