Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I think my rear end is toast....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think my rear end is toast....

I may have done some hard, sharp turns in the rain we had today, and now when I turn, the rear end kinda makes the truck "skip" like it's missing a tooth or something. It only happens when it's turning, I jacked the rear end up and it turns fine by hand, both wheels turning like a dually's rear end should (posi-slip rear). Any ideas what could be wrong? I'll have to take it to get fixed, this is beyond my capability. Should I go to the dealer or a Joe-blow shop?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hey update- I went outside, manually turned both front ujoints, and now I can't replicate the hop thump thing. So that would lead me to believ that one of the front driveshafts was still engaged from me using it last night. I know this to be a problem because after Ford replaced my hubs, the damn ESOF gives me issues dis-engaging. PHEW- now the wife will get off my friggin back- of course she started with the whole "I need to sell my truck and get something more reliable" track. Gettin' tired of that!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was going to say Spider gears in the rear if the noise is coming from the back. When you loose teeth on those you get a bad loud clunk in the rear and you can feel it in the truck, changed out a few in my day.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
That's kinda what it felt like, but only in a turn, which is why I trouble-shot the front wheel, and after I reversed it a little ways, it cleared up. I figured if it was the spider gears, it wouldn't have gone away in all the subsequent driving up and down the cul-de-sac I did. BTW- can you change out the spiders in a driveway w/o any special tools if I ever need to?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am glad to read that you are talking about your truck because when I read the thread title my mind went a completely different direction Danny. lol

Glad it seems to be cleared up.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01
I am glad to read that you are talking about your truck because when I read the thread title my mind went a completely different direction Danny. lol

Glad it seems to be cleared up.
yeh me too ! Maybe smells like toast? mine smells like butterscotch. either butt er scotch.

Barney

Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I need a new"rearend" too,mines cracked AND has a hole in it...LOL,not sure what it smells like..

Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My rearend has had a clunk on turns every since the new one was put in about 120k miles ago.Normally an oil change and friction modifier will fix it

Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mongo75
That's kinda what it felt like, but only in a turn, which is why I trouble-shot the front wheel, and after I reversed it a little ways, it cleared up. I figured if it was the spider gears, it wouldn't have gone away in all the subsequent driving up and down the cul-de-sac I did. BTW- can you change out the spiders in a driveway w/o any special tools if I ever need to?
Well Danny, weather your thread title meant one thing or another, its getting it's fair share of Crack, lol. Seem's everytime when the spider gears go, its first noticed on a sharp turn, at least in my occurances, then loud banging after a while to then its not drivable because it just binds and you push on the gas and it doesn't want to go, like its being held back, by the binding. Not bad of a job though. I don't know the name of all the parts but somebody might be able to post up a diagram showing you the internals.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

I've been having rear diff. troubles for awhile now,just haven't had time to go into it yet,so i haven't been driving it,i've been on the road alot too,(my two week christmas vacation is coming soon),i'm pretty sure it's the spider gears though.I was gonna drive it like .5 a mile last weekend to pick up the christmas tree from the lot,i made it about a block to the stop sign,when i had just started to go,it locked up and slid the rear wheels about 1.5 ft.,it didn't want to go so i put it in reverse and it would go backward so i backed up the block i had just traveled right back to the same spot it had been sitting for awhile now.Just thought i would share this story.
Phil

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I need a new"rearend" too,mines cracked AND has a hole in it...LOL,not sure what it smells like..
Holy crap. LMFAO.

Originally Posted by big poppa
Well Danny, weather your thread title meant one thing or another, its getting it's fair share of Crack, lol. Seem's everytime when the spider gears go, its first noticed on a sharp turn, at least in my occurances, then loud banging after a while to then its not drivable because it just binds and you push on the gas and it doesn't want to go, like its being held back, by the binding. Not bad of a job though. I don't know the name of all the parts but somebody might be able to post up a diagram showing you the internals.
When it binds, does it feel similar to the type of binding you'd feel when the truck is in 4wd on a sharp turn?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Holy crap. LMFAO.

When it binds, does it feel similar to the type of binding you'd feel when the truck is in 4wd on a sharp turn?
LOL, Phil's comment got me too... Phil, I would say that might be your problem, you'll know when you get in there, I could walk you thru it, you to Danny.. Lisa, kinda sorta with the binding sensation on the front end but when turning, it binds and pops loud and it feels like a tire is grabbing on one side. My wife went to the store one day and she told me the noise, when she got home I had an idea what it could be, went to pull out of the driveway and turned and pop, then went a little more and was puhing on the gas and it was trying to move, I knew what it was and did what Phil did, backed it right back in the drive.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

LOL, Phil's comment got me too... Phil, I would say that might be your problem, you'll know when you get in there, I could walk you thru it, you to Danny.. Lisa, kinda sorta with the binding sensation on the front end but when turning, it binds and pops loud and it feels like a tire is grabbing on one side. My wife went to the store one day and she told me the noise, when she got home I had an idea what it could be, went to pull out of the driveway and turned and pop, then went a little more and was puhing on the gas and it was trying to move, I knew what it was and did what Phil did, backed it right back in the drive.
I'm going in there over Christmas vacation,I might just take you up on that info Mike.Thanks for the offer.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. Just curious..so if I ever experienced it I would know. Preparedness is next to godliness.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I'm going in there over Christmas vacation,I might just take you up on that info Mike.Thanks for the offer.
No problem, its looks intimidating but its really just taking out a screw in the carrier, pulling the retainer, pulling the shims that hold the axles, sliding the axles straight out and rotating the carrier to get the spiders out and go backwards to reinstall, just a quick reference. I want to say, I'm pretty sure our rears are setup like the ones I did on my wifes Expy, if not, somebody will correct me.Call me when your ready.

Originally Posted by Smokin'
Interesting. Just curious..so if I ever experienced it I would know. Preparedness is next to godliness.
Ohh, you betya, like somebody hitting the rear pumpkin with a sledge hammer, you feel it and hear it.

Last edited by big poppa; 12-12-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Wifes Expy correction

Quick Reply: I think my rear end is toast....