1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Off Topic, House burned, I am alive.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Off Topic, House burned, I am alive.

Merry freaking Christmas!!

The good news is that the truck and my Harley survived also.

I have a little warning for you all. I had set my dishwasher for a 2 hour delay Tuesday morning. Got myself a cup of coffee, took my shower, dressed and headed out to go to work. Around 10:45 AM or so I got a call from my alarm company saying the house was reporting a fire alarm and they were dispatching the fire trucks.

I live 2.5 miles from the office and the fire department is in between my office and my home. I headed home and saw the fire trucks turning to make the run down Broadway to my neighborhood. I got stuck in traffic and got to the house a couple minutes after the fire department. This is what I first saw:

My first thought was; "Is the garage involved?" I asked the Captain there and he got on the radio. The reply was a fireman opening the garage door and them allowing me to remove my Harley in case the ceiling caved in.

Then I walked around to the rear of the house and was met by this sight, Firemen walking through what was once my plate glass picture window in the dining room.

Once the fire was out and the smoke cleared they let me get closer to take some more photos. Here is the view of my Kitchen. I don't normally leave my sink that dirty. The red tag is on the dishwasher.

Another angle of the Kitchen. You can see where I had pictures stuck on the fridge with magnets.

What's left of the Dining Room.

Looking in the front door through the Living Room while they douse some residual embers in the attic.

A view of the garage. Very fortunate there as there was little damage except for the ceiling falling in with one of my rear fenders.

The point of origin was determined to be the vicinity of the dishwasher. I found a recall notice:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07190.html

When I scrolled down to the photo of the model shown I got a chill down my spine. It was a picture of my dishwasher. If you have one that is on the list, please by all means available, contact the manufacturer for a repair. Normally I set the unit to run 2 hours after I go to sleep.

Monday afternoon I filled the dishwasher and was going to set it after dinner to run while I slept. I forgot to set it and remembered the next morning when I didn't have a spoon to stir my coffee because they were all dirty. I set the unit and this is what happened.

If I had set the dishwasher Monday night I don't think I would have survived.

The upside is I get a totally remodeled house. The downside is I get a totally remodeled house with no mementos or art.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh Man! I feel for you. Although what counts is that no one was hurt.
Do you have insurance, another place to live?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Thats terrible! On the flip side it could have been worse. Maybe it was supposed to happen this way for you to inform others. Glad you are OK

Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 AM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is is a tuff break. Glad you are ok.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 AM
daves54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear of your house fire. Very glad to hear you are OK!! Can always rebuild.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First is I'm glad you are not hurt.

And superficially, I'm glad your truck and bike are ok, but what a horrible thing to have happen for the Holidays.

When I read you note, and youhinted at the dishwasher, I said to myself "I'll bet ya a million dollars that's a General Electric dishwasher and it caught fire.

Then I opened your recall link and sure enough.

Folks, oddly, from an electrical standpoint GENERAL ELECTRIC APPLIANCES ARE A DISASTER. DO NOT BUY THEM. Their printed circuits are exposed to soap and moisture and are generally very weak to start with. Also, Hotpoint appliances are made by GE do not buy them either....Buy Maytag!

Sorry to see this happen to you!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
WOW! Sorry about the damage but glad to hear that you are OK. My parents home burnt to the ground a number of years ago, I will never forget the smell of the debris as I was digging through it looking for their valuables. Good luck on the rebuilding effort, I'm sure this wasn't on your "to-do" list for December.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Whoa!!

Man, am I glad that you and yours are ok and no one was hurt! Also a big bonus that the bike and truck aren't damaged.

I'll check my dishwasher as soon as I walk in the door this afternoon. I can't remember what brand it is. I installed it just about this time last year.

Bobby

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
reg1952
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you are OK. My Dads house burned awhile ago and he lost everything. It started from a welding spark in the garage that smoldered for 8 hours before it when up at 2 in the morning.He almost had it out but ran out of extengisers.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got your life - the rest are memories.
I'm truely thankful that you are not a memory.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Glad you are alright! Is there a bigger garage in the future now?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
HD74
Elder User
That blows no matter what time of year, but your ok. I had a simular thing happen with a printer. The good news the bike and truck survived and so will you.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Very sorry for your loss it looks like a big mess for Christmas! I immediately checked my Sears dishwasher and it is not in the list. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Holy Smokes!
That's terrible. but am glad you are Ok. looks like pretty much everything inside is toast? I hope you had good insurance.

slight hijack here: My neighbors ran their sprinklers last spring until it flooded my basement and I fought my insurance, and their insurance for 18k in damages. my insurance said to bad so sad, and there insurance wanted to settle for 50% after months of dealing with them. I hired an attorney and sent them a Letter and ended up settling for 70% (just last week) still sucks but at least got more and didn't have to spend thousands in attorney fees and time to sue them.

I'm in the process of doing the repairs myself to save money since the settlement didn't cover everything.
anyway to make a long story short we should all (including myself) review our insurance policies very closly and make sure we are covering the structure plus everything inside to the max, plus make sure they don't exclude coverage due to a fire in the garage or maybe if you have a welder or some such thing I could see them excluding coverage from that type of thing and we would be screwed. that's always been my fear that if a fire started in the garage they would find some loophole exclusion, Insurance company's are only out to protect one person and that's themselves.

I hope you don't have to fight with them on this one.

Josh

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

I glad nothing happen to you! Sad to say but you have nice pics of the damage and the work being done to save the house or whats left! You can always rebuild but you can rebuild you or a loved one! I hope all works out or you!!

Quick Reply: Off Topic, House burned, I am alive.