6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant Change 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
PWR_IN_OK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Removal

Perfect thanks. I saw the grooves and thought it might turn out but when I pushed down and made my attempt it wouldn't rotate. Your post gave me the confidence to try a bit harder. There was enough gunk in the grooves that going back and forth worked out the gunk and walla.

So, I guess this qualifies as the duh moment.

Thanks again, you saved me a ton of time and my boys thank you as now I will have time to sit down with them this evening and watch a John Wayne.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
sorry wasnt able to help spent the day at the shop.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Has anyone thought of adding this info to tech folder? I spent an hour searching for this info on using the VC-9. The bottle tells me to follow ford manual blaa, blaa.. Great info here on this post, just might be nice to find it easier...Thanks to all you guys, I will be doing the flush tomorrow. Just for precautionary purposes..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Diesel Smoker
Senior User
Originally Posted by flamebuster
Has anyone thought of adding this info to tech folder? I spent an hour searching for this info on using the VC-9. The bottle tells me to follow ford manual blaa, blaa.. Great info here on this post, just might be nice to find it easier...Thanks to all you guys, I will be doing the flush tomorrow. Just for precautionary purposes..
I agree can we get this in tech folder.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Heckler
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question, wouldnt doing this increase the chances of you clogging your oil cooler? When the VC9 begins to break down the minerals in the block and cooling system? I would think you would want to do this before intalling a new oil cooler and EGT cooler, then add a coolant filter to keep the particles out of the coolers. I would think this would give you the most life out of your coolers.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 AM
dc3655
Elder User
Originally Posted by Heckler
Question, wouldnt doing this increase the chances of you clogging your oil cooler? When the VC9 begins to break down the minerals in the block and cooling system? I would think you would want to do this before intalling a new oil cooler and EGT cooler, then add a coolant filter to keep the particles out of the coolers. I would think this would give you the most life out of your coolers.
I've thought about this too. One thing is that the VC-9 should break down the silicates and the way I figure it is that it should also break down the silicates that would be getting caught in the oil cooler. Now I'm not totally sure on this, but that's how I understand it to work while it's in there so that the oil cooler might not need a rebuild following the flush. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this too.

One other thing. When I do my flush this coming week, I'll be filling it with Rotella ELC. I figure why note use a coolant rated at 600k miles and supposedly doesn't form silicates when under extreme heat flashing! Hopefully it keeps the coolant system happy.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by Heckler
I have been thinking this exact same thought. I'm getting ready to flush mine in a couple weeks and I've been pondering whether or not to use the vc-9. I am getting my Insight in a couple weeks and I am going to check the temp. differential and if my temps. are good I'm seriously considering just flushing with distilled a few times and adding fresh coolant.I'm just concerned about creating problems with the vc-9 if the coolers are not plugged. I totally agree that the vc-9 is worth a shot at cleaning out a partially plugged cooler but I'm undecided on whether it's a good thing or not if your coolers are not plugged. Maybe someone else will chime in and give us their opinions. BTW I've been running a coolant filter since 4,500 mi. so I would think my system is pretty clean.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by dc3655
One other thing. When I do my flush this coming week, I'll be filling it with Rotella ELC. I figure why note use a coolant rated at 600k miles and supposedly doesn't form silicates when under extreme heat flashing! Hopefully it keeps the coolant system happy.
Just remember if it is not Ford Gold or Zerex GO5 you might run into coolant turning into jelly or jell-o in your system and then the flushing to get rid of it is a real treat.

Ford states "105,000 miles on the initial change; subsequent changes every 45,000 miles. Check coolant strenght concentration every 6 months."

Also might the VC9 also be cleaning out your radiator too?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Heckler
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I have been reading it's the Ford Gold low silicate formula that IS CAUSING the gel that clogs the oil coolers. When it gets super heated in the EGR cooler it causes silicate dropout (gel) to form and clog the coolers.

Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Just remember if it is not Ford Gold or Zerex GO5 you might run into coolant turning into jelly or jell-o in your system and then the flushing to get rid of it is a real treat.

Ford states "105,000 miles on the initial change; subsequent changes every 45,000 miles. Check coolant strenght concentration every 6 months."

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
I just wanted to attach a link (below) to this thread, because I think the video is helpful:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ing-video.html

Also, on post #23 of the thread above rocky1074 mentions a chemical "RESTORE" that is advertised to dissolve silica gel.

I agree that the Ford Premium Gold coolant is TOO PRONE TO PROBLEMS!! Go with a Vat EC-1 rated ELC coolant!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by bismic
I just wanted to attach a link (below) to this thread, because I think the video is helpful:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ing-video.html

Mark:
When I try to paste and go to site it does not go. Just goes back to your post on FTE.
Mike

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X

Ford states the longer interval for the initial change due to two reasons....
1) The use of distilled water as the "factory fill" when the motor/truck is made.

2) Marketing purposes to make maintenance costs appear less... hense, it is just past the 100,000 mile warrenty limit (go figure).

Ford knows that their own dealers do NOT use or have available distilled water in their shops, so this is why future service interval intervals are at shorter mileage intervals... and some only do a drain and refill and not a true 100% fluid flush.

I personally, do my own 100% distilled water flush and change/flush every 50,000 miles and never worry about it or check my nitite levels.... but that is me. I now have 180,000 trouble free miles on my truck, so I guess my "methodology" it is working???

Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Diesel Don 57
New User
Huge Thanks!

I'm going to have to add my "HUGE THANKS" to you guys for sharing this info. I try to do all my own maintenance on my 05 PSD and threads like this are a God send!
Thanks guys!
Diesel Don
Oceanside, CA

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Don 57
I'm going to have to add my "HUGE THANKS" to you guys for sharing this info. I try to do all my own maintenance on my 05 PSD and threads like this are a God send!
Thanks guys!
Diesel Don
Oceanside, CA
Hit the "heart" at the upper right hand corner of a post (or posts) that are helpful and send the poster a thank you message (and give them "reputation points").

Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by bismic
Hit the "heart" at the upper right hand corner of a post (or posts) that are helpful and send the poster a thank you message (and give them "reputation points").
I tried to send some to you and Beachbumcook, but was told I still needed to "spread the rep wealth".

Quick Reply: Coolant Change 101