Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

What Year Ford Steering Box (P/S) Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Monteford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Year Ford Steering Box (P/S) Is This?

I have a custom 51 Merc with "bad steering" that I was told, by the previous owner, had a P/S box off a mid-70's F-100...I want to order/get a rebuilt unit & need "nail" the year/etc. in order to ID/specify same for the "parts counter representative"...

Pertinent "Ford" part no's I've found are:
shaft input housing (P/S fluid in/out)---C7AR 8A587A
top/cover (2-bolts)--------------------C6AR-3580-A2
main housing---------------------------DITR-3550-BA

Tks in advance for any help--it will be greatly appreciated,,,

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

I just bought one for my 79 f100 from redheadsteeringgears.com and am extremely satisified with it. I don't know what those numbers break down to but they might have what you need based on your vehicle. They seem to have a pretty extensive list of gears in stock.... I was so glad that someone here mentioned them because even with shipping, after core I only spent like $40 more than I would have at the local parts house for a product I believe is TEN TIMES better. I'd just give them a call and ask honestly....

Old 12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Monteford
New User
Originally Posted by ford4life69
I just bought one for my 79 f100 from redheadsteeringgears.com and am extremely satisified with it. I don't know what those numbers break down to but they might have what you need based on your vehicle. They seem to have a pretty extensive list of gears in stock.... I was so glad that someone here mentioned them because even with shipping, after core I only spent like $40 more than I would have at the local parts house for a product I believe is TEN TIMES better. I'd just give them a call and ask honestly....
Tks for heads-up...I did run across them while surfing in attempts to ID my P/S box. They're now def'y on my list to further pursue pricing/ availability. I'd still like to separately ID my model year for "local investigation" of alternatives...

Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

hey - google decoding ford part numbers... i found this Guide to Decoding Ford Part Numbers - ClassicMustang.com that basically indicates that you're main housing is a 71 *that's providing your DI is actually D1 instead* on the main housing and the other two numbers break down to 67 input and 66 top cover. My old one was a 79 *original to the truck I'm assuming* and I didn't get a picture of the new one but I know it's older now that I've read that. Hope it helps!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Looking at the third number you posted it should probably read D1TR. 'D'=1970's '1'=1971 'T'=Truck 'R'=?chassis part? That doesnt mean the part was made in 1971 it just means it came out first in '71 and may not have changed till the next part revision which could have been several years later. I dont think there are too many differences between the gear boxes in the '70's. Just figure out if its from a 2wd or 4x4 or power steering.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Monteford
New User
Originally Posted by ford4life69
hey - google decoding ford part numbers... i found this Guide to Decoding Ford Part Numbers - ClassicMustang.com that basically indicates that you're main housing is a 71 *that's providing your DI is actually D1 instead* on the main housing and the other two numbers break down to 67 input and 66 top cover. My old one was a 79 *original to the truck I'm assuming* and I didn't get a picture of the new one but I know it's older now that I've read that. Hope it helps!
Eyup, I should have listed D1 instead of DI in order to make sense with Ford's coding system--which I was/am familiar with...Unfortunately, this part's manufacture only being initiated in 1971 does not tell me all I need--which would be the date/year of the -BA revision...My logic here would just dictate that it's a 71 or later... Tks for reply,,, Monte

Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Monteford
New User
Originally Posted by FordTrucksKickGM
.....Just figure out if its from a 2wd or 4x4 or power steering.
Pls see my reply above (#6 post) re: 1971--and, just how would I now figure out if it's from/for 2WD or 4WD? Tks,,, Monte

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Given the number on it, a box from any 73-79 Fseries 2wd should be the same, for swapping purposes. There wasn't power steering in an F100 4x4 until about 75, the 68-77 F250 had a power assist with a valve and separate ram cylinder.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Monteford
New User
Thumbs up

OK--I'm now moving forward w/ plan. Contacted Redhead Steering Gears, gave them my part # poop & they said they had a rebuilt one in stock that would fit as a direct replacement for me (they said this rblt one was off a 78-79 F-100)...

I ordered it several days ago ($46 ship'g "across USA") & will keep old one/core as a $19 boat anchor ($65 core value less $46 return shpg cost)

Tks again for your inputs,,, Monte

Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

My core was 90 bucks and shipping to TX was $42 one way. I sent my core back; wonder if that's the one they're sending you? I have had great experience with them thus far but the gear box has only been in the truck for around a month. From other recommendations in my threads about my box, it seems that they'd had good experiences as well is why I went with them. Let us know how it turns out. I still have pics of my old one - the part numbers and I'm really kinda curious at what the odds are of you getting my old one.

I'll tell you this, I had like 4 inches of slack in my steering wheel, the gear box and a new rag joint took ALL of that slack out. To the point I don't think my king pins were actually bad when I was told they were. I haven't replaced them and everything appears tight.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Monteford
New User
I'd have definitely gone for the core return @ $90-46=$44 net value...Any availability probs getting the new rag-joint?--I'm placing that on my list too...

For curiousity's sake--I'll list my rebuilt part #'s...Gear arrival will likely occur while I'm outa here for Xmas...

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year to all...catch ya in 2010...Monte

Last edited by Monteford; 12-19-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2009, 09:59 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Well, keep in mind I was working on a pickup so I don't know what's available for yours. We took mine off, had to take a grinder to those safety pins to get them to punch out and then took the old one to O Reallys *yes I spelled it that way on purpose, that's what we call it* to get one of their universal kits. There were two diameters of kit there. They don't have the safety pins for mine, we had to put a long bolt in on one side to fill in for the safety pin. I may not be calling it the right thing - sorry. Either way, if you need one in a pinch, they carry them. If I had had the time, I would have found one more specific to my application just because I'm noid like that.

I can't remember the lady's name I spoke to up there - the gentleman quoted me differently than she did - she had corrected his mistake with the shipping amounts. She was super nice so if you talked to the gentleman you might call back and talk to her, tell them you heard of them here from a girl in TX and I said that my core - same year box - had a core of $90. I bet they'll work with you because all the times I talked to them, she was consistent with the $90. Basically shipping, since I paid 2 way to return the core, was $40 each way, totaling $80 so with the core of $90 I got $10 back. The difference could be in the box you'd be sending back versus the one you're getting. I just honestly don't know.

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Monteford
New User
Connie,

Why don't you go ahead and dig-out/post the part #'s of your returned core...We'll then be ready for yuks...

Monte

Old 12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

I don't have my micro SD adapter on me at my BF's place and it's really hard to see on my tiny cell phone screen. When I get home tomorrow night I'll post it up from my computer at home.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Monteford
New User
That's fine--no real rush...I just thought it was something to do during the interim...I'll shoot a note to Redhead re: $25 difference in our core credits--just to confirm whether I actually keep mine or not...

Quick Reply: What Year Ford Steering Box (P/S) Is This?