Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Frozen windshield wiper fluid in reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen to me a few years back on the OBS diesel I had. I ended up just letting the truck run for a while and it thawed enough to siphon it out. I replaced it with the orange Rain-X. I have used it ever since and never had it freeze. Granted it doesn't get as cold here as it does in MN but it might work for you.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by jhand124
Any one ever have this happen, a few days ago I went to use the fluid to wash the windshield and nothing came out, so I went to put some fluid in and it was half full with ice floating in it. I must of had some condensation or bad fluid in there. Problem is I don't have a warm shop to put it in and I assume the lines are frozen too. Any suggestions?
I'd just keep the heat on it..heat gun treatment.

Ive had the spray nozzles freeze on me before, but never the entire reservoir. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Lisa!!!!
Read this

Potent Storm Brings Heavy Snow - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver

GO COLORADO!

Oh yeah..With wind chill its -5 degrees outside in Denver.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
willeo6709
Elder User
I had the same thing happen on the excursion..... and I think you'll need to rig a holder for a hair dryer as it took the ex about 5 hours to thaw out enough to drain it sitting in the bay with the 60HP screw compressor that puts out about 250,000 btu. I drained the resoivor and refilled with prestone deicer fluid. Pumped it through the lines and golden from then on.

Once ya get that big a chunk of ice it takes it a while to thaw.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got 'er done, I used this to boil the fluid in the reservoir:

Once all the ice was melted I pumped out the crappy fluid and put in the -30° stuff and heated that and whala sprayers are working again.

I also tested to see how flammable the fluid is...not very it will put a match out. I think you would have to vaporize it and then maybe it would ignite.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I use this year around and never had it freeze. No tank heater needed yet down into double digit sub-zero Indiana temps.
Rain-X®: De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
First time it has ever happen to me, I usually have the -20 or -30 stuff in there. I don't know what I had in there but I hadn't needed to refill it for some time.

I haven't see the rain-x stuff around, but I haven't been looking for it either.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glay you figured out a solution Jason.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a great ideal Jason, Reps sent.

and that reminds me to check my washer fluid.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just seen this thread, glad you got it Jason, nice gadget and save..

Old 12-08-2009, 05:45 PM
NEIowa
Freshman User
The alcohol in the washer fluid is what keeps it from freezing but alcohol is more volatile than H20,so after several months in the reservoir it can evaporate and leave you with what is basically blue colored water. We learned this the hard way after using some off brand washer fluid to flush and winterize our new self propelled sprayer.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
TheAdmiral
Junior User
Over Thanksgiving I bought an F250 in California and drove it back to Minnesota. Surprise, the fluid in the wiper tank froze solid. I took out the tank and thawed and disposed of the old fluid and added the orange -30 blend.

The thing is it didn't take care of the frozen fluid in the lines, so I'm still getting no wiper fluid coming through the lines.

I'll hit it with a heat gun on a warmer day this week.

My question is, how likely is it that the motor got damaged? Between the liquid freezing in it and me trying to operate the motor repeatedly, I'm a little pessimistic that some damage might have been done.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral
Over Thanksgiving I bought an F250 in California and drove it back to Minnesota. Surprise, the fluid in the wiper tank froze solid. I took out the tank and thawed and disposed of the old fluid and added the orange -30 blend.

The thing is it didn't take care of the frozen fluid in the lines, so I'm still getting no wiper fluid coming through the lines.

I'll hit it with a heat gun on a warmer day this week.

My question is, how likely is it that the motor got damaged? Between the liquid freezing in it and me trying to operate the motor repeatedly, I'm a little pessimistic that some damage might have been done.

Thanks!
Have you looked at where the lines are...kinda tough to get to all of the length, I would try heating the fluid and then try spraying the windshield.

I thought the same thing about damaging the motor, but mine is fine..

Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
TheAdmiral
Junior User
The lines should be fine to get to 90% of. I'm going to wait until it warms up to mid 20's later this week, then hit them with the heat gun.

Thanks for the info on the motor not going out. It gives me a little hope. Since I bought a replacement motor today before I realized the tank was frozen, I'll hang onto it and return it if thawing the lines takes care of the entire issue.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral
The lines should be fine to get to 90% of. I'm going to wait until it warms up to mid 20's later this week, then hit them with the heat gun.

Thanks for the info on the motor not going out. It gives me a little hope. Since I bought a replacement motor today before I realized the tank was frozen, I'll hang onto it and return it if thawing the lines takes care of the entire issue.
I see in your avatar you have a obs, the lines in a super duty are more hidden. Good luck I hope it works out.

Quick Reply: Frozen windshield wiper fluid in reservoir