6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 F250 6.0 blowing alot of light blue smoke???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F250 6.0 blowing alot of light blue smoke???

Funny thing happened today. Last night I changed the antifreeze in my truck. This morning when I cranked it up it ran fine. When it started to warm up it started to blow light blue smoke out of the tail pipe. ALOT. Pulled over and looked at it at idle and still blowing smoke. Got it home and it seemed to run fine but still blowing alot of smoke. Is it coincidental about the coolant change or did egr coolant pipe crack or something? Any ideas? Before this did not blow smoke at all. It is about 23 degrees this morning. Thanks,Eric

Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Uncle Shank
New User
well the engine could be going out. how many miles does it have on it?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
48k. It runs fine even when blowing the smoke. Update is< I just warmed it up all the way and the smoke stopped. So I am going to cool it off and crank it up again. I did just get the latest flash. Would this contribute to the cold temp strart problem blowning smoke. ?Going to give the diesel teck a call and see if he knows anything about it.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My 06,

With the new flash does seem to puff a slight amount only when on first start up...it doesnt last at all, my cat also flew the coup so that may have something to do with it. I think they richened up the fuel on cold starts with the new flash... among many other things.

maybe your turbo seal is starting to leak as well, just a thought but when mine went it did the same thing it would smoke all the time though not just cold starts.

Sarge

Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Thanks Sarge, I stopped and talked to diesel tech and he said the flash he just put in mine was like 3 months old. Anyway he is downloading the new one today and told me to bring the truck in tomorrow and he is going to reflash it. He thinks it isn't anything serious just a couple of injectors not calibrated right. Anyway hope he is right. Eric

Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Well I leaned all the way to the thermostat and replaced it today in the snow. Anyway didn't fix my problem. So that was a no go on the thermostat. Took into the dealer and talked to the tech and he said bring it in and he will reflash it to the latest and greatest as of today. In fact he had to down load it before he could do the flash. He checked all my vitals and everything was great, no injector problems, no turbo problems, good egr,map and all the othe sensors checked out as well.He thought the injectors weren't calibrated right. heck it didn't even cost me anything. The truck runs great and we will see if the flash helped the smoke issue when I crank it up cold. I am thinking since I gutted the cat that maybe it is smoking because the cat isn't there to burn it off. Chime in if you have any thoughts on the subject. I am burning like 16 oz of ashless 2 stroke oil and additive. Thanks, and I will post later what is happening. Eric

Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I am running some ashless 2 stroke as well. I run a 1/2 bottle of that combined with the MC fuel additive, Cetane boost & anti gel in the winter Cetane boost/performance improver in the summer. My flash was short lived, but Eric at innovative has told me there were a few issues with the newest flash, so I am going to wait a bit to see what happens with my truck.

Like I said, it only smokes when I first fire it, and goes away almost instantly.

Sarge

Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Hi Sarge, thanks for the reply. The flash I got was the one Ford put out "Today", brand new one. Anyway I will let you know if I have any issues with it. Get you opinion on a matter, would gutting my cat produce or should I say let the smoke pass through the exhaust system compared to if I left it, it would of burnt it? Maybe it is normal to a point esp. in cold climate. What do you think?? Eric

Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I am not a diesel expert by far, but not having a cat on a gasser will produce more smoke at some points. I am sure the same would be truc of a diesel truck. People tell me that they have no smoke with the car gone/gutted. However, the real question would be is what is there climate, what flash do they have, what if any tunes are they running, other mods, and the list goes on.

Each one of these diesel trucks have there own personality...not one is exactly the same as mine..or yours for that matter. The one thing to remeber is if its not smoking constantly and you have already had a clean bill of health from your dealer then you should be ok.

That ofcourse is just my own personal opinion.

I would not worry, I had a severe smoking issue earlier this year, and I would say that my small puff of smoke is "normal" for my tuck at this time.

Sarge

Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
I agree. For real, the performance is there, no side effects from the smoke. If it isn't using oil, coolant and getting bad fuel mileage, I am not going to worry about it. You said yours was smoking bad earlier this year? What was the issue? Let me guess. EGR? Lol

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I had a ton of carbon built up in the intake, and there was a part that had to be installed in the intake to redirect the EGR gasses, and the new short live recalibration...

Other than that the truck runs awesome. If I could get my tunes right I'll be good. My truck smokes like a chimney with my tunes so Innovative is working on that for me.

Sarge

Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 AM
jon463
New User
hey bobcat, how's the smoking issue? for the past month, i've been blowing blue smoke after the truck has set for a while (basically cold starts). I really don't go through oil, used an additive to clean the guts up, and no breaking results.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
jon, well here was the problem with the truck. It was the egr cooler leaking. It was leaking very little coolant but just enough for it mix with the oil residue in the intake causing the blueish white smoke. If I were you I would pull the egr valve and check for any moisture on it,any, meaning even if it is a little tacky or anything. I did it right after I drove it or wait after it sets overnight. Let me know if this helps I did alot of research on mine when I had the problem so I might have some other ideas for you if this does not solve your problem. But I replaced the egr and oil cooler and my problem is solved. Good luck,Eric

Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I don't know much about reflashing trucks, so I have a quick question. Could I possibly benefit from a flash on my '03? I saw something in the tech folders about a new flash for the TorqueShift on the '03s to help with shifting issues. My truck shifts SUPER ROUGH first thing in the morning. Would a reflash help my truck at all? How much do dealerships normally charge to flash?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Andy, I am not for sure on your 03' I do know that the new flash changes alot of the shift points, so yea it may help. The price varies from one dealer to the other but I think on average it will run between 75 and 100 bucks. Before I go and do that though, have you changed your external trans filter lately. They are supposed to be changed at least every 20k. You are running the right fluid, correct? Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: 2005 F250 6.0 blowing alot of light blue smoke???