1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Trip odometer slipping???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:01 PM
97ExpGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trip odometer slipping???

Took a road trip this past weekend. Gassed up my Expy, got in, and pushed the button in to reset the counter - so I could calculate highway MPG.

Anyway, I get going down the road and hear this slipping/ticking noise behind the dash/gauge area. As I'm pondering what it could be, I notice that the trip counter is still sitting at zero and not counting the miles. I proceed to hit the reset the counter - nothing. Did a few more times - nothing. Finally, a few miles into my drive it starts working again on its own. Ticking/slipping noise has stopped.

Here's my questions:

Can it be fixed and how?

Secondly, is the trip counter connected to the actual mileage odometer? In other words, because trip counter one was slipping and not counting for that short time, did my odometer quit moving as well? I honestly don't remember looking at the odometer during this time to see if it was working.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Here's my guess. It sounds to me like your reset button got stuck slightly when you pushed in the first time then ended up eventually working itself free, I'd say to try a very small amount of WD-40 to lube up the shaft of the button first, and see what that does.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by madsonp
I'd say to try a very small amount of WD-40 to lube up the shaft of the button first, and see what that does.
Are you insane?

Can you just imagine the mess that'll make out of the instrument cluster if the WD-40 gets behind the clear plastic?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Are you insane?

Can you just imagine the mess that'll make out of the instrument cluster if the WD-40 gets behind the clear plastic?
Hence the wording "very small amount". He shouldn't spray it in, just get a drop or two (there again, "a very small amount") of it on the shaft and let it gravity flow down the shaft. I might be a little nuts but I don't think I'm insane, at least the voices I hear have never said that.