1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Little Oil Cooler write up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Wolf, that may be a bigger problem. But I'm not certain there is a way to test the cooler, but I be you could plug some holes and apply water and pressure. But I don't know, I'm only guessing. Water in oil on these motors is generally from a head gasket, or injector cup or something of that nature.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Wolfavenger90
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm, well shoot. now i have to figure out if it is a head gasket, oil cooler, or injector cups.

thank you for the help

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
fordboyoffroad
Senior User
got my parts today so i hope to fix it tomarow i hate oil likes lol

Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wolfavenger90
hmmm, well shoot. now i have to figure out if it is a head gasket, oil cooler, or injector cups.

thank you for the help

Yea me too. I sent a oil sample to Blackstone a couple a weeks ago and they said I had coolant in my oil. I had a coolant leak where the oil cooler bolts to the block. I could see it dripping down the filter. Just replaced the orings and gasket that was leaking on the cooler and I am praying that will fix it because I really dont want to get into injector cups or head gaskets. Especially now too dam cold out.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Wolf, that may be a bigger problem. But I'm not certain there is a way to test the cooler, but I be you could plug some holes and apply water and pressure. But I don't know, I'm only guessing. Water in oil on these motors is generally from a head gasket, or injector cup or something of that nature.

I know what is involved with replacing injector cups but how much of a pita is it to switch out head gaskets? Any way to test to see witch one is leaking?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch

Now line up the slot in the end cap and you can either press the end caps together using a press or anything that will press both sides on together. i had my buddy use his press to push them on. you have to push them on at the same time. If anyone else has suggestions for this part i would like your input
I didnt need to use my press. When I did mine all I did was push down with my hand to seat the oring against the cap then lifted the cooler just enough so I could push down the oring with the side of a screw driver. It went in easy as I worked around the oring. Might have something to do with the fact that I used PB Blaster to lube the oring.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Travis, thanks for the write-up. Reps sent.

Rocky, thanks for the parts and part numbers. Tried to rep, but gotta spread the love around.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Scatgo, I hate to even bring this up, but that may not be your problem. Early 95's have a problem with the block cracking just above the cooler. Their simptoms are weeping coolant. I bought one of those blocks for a mock up. So get in there with a flashlight and check above the cooler about an inch or so below the head. and cross your fingers. And the crack will run horizontal, like the line of the head. Not vertical. I hope like hell I'm wrong.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 AM
matt71
Senior User
Where exactly is the oil cooler located?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the drivers side of the engine just above the oil pan. Round tube looking thing. The oil filter screws onto the end cap of it.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:12 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Scatgo, as rubberduck said check the block. hope its not the problem. the heads are a PITA to pull off to do head gaskets. its much easier if you use an engine lift to lift the heads off the block instead of trying to do it by hand. the heads are probably around 80-90lbs per head.

The oil cooler could cause coolant to mix with oil. also another possibility could be that the oil cooler itself could be cracked inside allowing the 2 to mix. if i had coolant in my oil and suspected the oil cooler i would start with a new cooler tube and end caps..

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Scatgo, I hate to even bring this up, but that may not be your problem. Early 95's have a problem with the block cracking just above the cooler. Their simptoms are weeping coolant. I bought one of those blocks for a mock up. So get in there with a flashlight and check above the cooler about an inch or so below the head. and cross your fingers. And the crack will run horizontal, like the line of the head. Not vertical. I hope like hell I'm wrong.
Thanks for the heads up. I just took a look and everything is dry. No coolant dripping from the filter or around the gasket I replaced. It is hard to see up there with the oil cooler in place but I didnt see any cracks and I would guess it would still be leaking if there was. I did see oil on the block just behind the cooler that looks like it is coming from the head gasket but might be from the valve cover gasket its hard to tell I dont see much above the head gasket. Is it possible to get oil from the head gasket on that part of the head? I know some head gaskets have oil passages that allow oil to drain from the head back to the block but I am not familiar with the setup on my engine. I have 120k on my truck. Do you think I am safe from any cracks if it didn't happen by now?

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Scatgo, as rubberduck said check the block. hope its not the problem. the heads are a PITA to pull off to do head gaskets. its much easier if you use an engine lift to lift the heads off the block instead of trying to do it by hand. the heads are probably around 80-90lbs per head.

The oil cooler could cause coolant to mix with oil. also another possibility could be that the oil cooler itself could be cracked inside allowing the 2 to mix. if i had coolant in my oil and suspected the oil cooler i would start with a new cooler tube and end caps..

Thanks. Right now I am hoping it was the gasket where the end cap bolts to the block i did see coolant there and I did not see any cracks above it. I guess I am just going to have to wait a little and send a sample in to Blackstone to see if coolant is still getting into the oil.

Nice right up on the oil cooler. Sorry about the hijack but the subject of water in oil came up and I am dealing with all of that right now.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good discussion

Originally Posted by scatgo
Thanks for the heads up. I just took a look and everything is dry. No coolant dripping from the filter or around the gasket I replaced. It is hard to see up there with the oil cooler in place but I dint see any cracks and I would guess it would still be leaking if there was. I did see oil on the block just behind the cooler that looks like it is coming from the head gasket but might be from the valve cover gasket its hard to tell I dont see much above the head gasket. Is it possible to get oil from the head gasket on that part of the head? I know some head gaskets have oil passages that allow oil to drain from the head back to the block but I am not familiar with the setup on my engine. I have 120k on my truck. Do you think I am safe from any cracks if it didn't happen by now?

Thanks. Right now I am hoping it was the gasket where the end cap bolts to the block i did see coolant there and I did not see any cracks above it. I guess I am just going to have to wait a little and send a sample in to Blackstone to see if coolant is still getting into the oil.

Nice right up on the oil cooler. Sorry about the hijack but the subject of water in oil came up and I am dealing with all of that right now.
I like the highjack very good info being shared.
Rocky

Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Mine just went out yesterday... leaking pretty bad when it's running. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon! Great writeup!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Mine just went out yesterday... leaking pretty bad when it's running. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon! Great writeup!
the front 2 bolts are a big PITA, but just make sure you get on them good. all my bolts were in there tight as heck!

Quick Reply: Little Oil Cooler write up!!!