Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

redundant 302 fuel mileage gripes...

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Bayer-Z28
Senior User
Bayer-Z28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
redundant 302 fuel mileage gripes...

I did some searching but it didn't turn up too too much.. I thought I started a thread before about this but I can't find it.

What can I do to improve my gas mileage a bit?? I've seafoamed (oil, gas, and top fogger) the **** out of this truck so far, new serp bent, plugs, cap, dist, rotor and wires..

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Hitokori is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
less restrictive exhaust over drive bigger engine i really dont know what all else but hey maybe more people will reply and help us both out

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Check for codes stored in the engine computer aka PCM. There can be codes without turning on the Check Engine Light (CEL). Keep the tires aired up, check/replace the air filter, remove any unnecessary accessories such as ladder racks, antennas, etc. Stop driving the truck like you stole something. Press on the gas pedal like it has an egg underneath it. How many miles on the truck? Does it idle high? check/replace vacuum hoses and rusted through reservoirs. How old is the O2 sensor? does it burn oil? that will contaminate the O2 sensor. What is the timing set at? What kind of mileage are you getting now? Auto or manual? stock tires or oversize?

I could keep going, but hopefully you get the point. Many things can and will affect your MPGs.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
does it burn oil? lol its a ford of course it does it tells u to check on the gas caps lol no im kidding mine actually dont but the c6 kills it and in a few weeks im going to be getting firehawk 295/50/15's they are 27" and inflate at 44psi great tires especially inflated with nitrogen and i will have aluminum wheels on it so prolly weigh a little more. then i am going to junk the clutch fan coz they are garbage too much rotating mass and loud too... uhm prolly going to run royal purple oil and either their filter or k&n dunno wich is better then going to get a cold air intake ... then better ignition system like msd or sumthing with 8.5mm wires and the e3 plugs so all that should add a lil more mpgs as well as empty the wallet

Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
zxwut?
Posting Guru
zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Hitokori View Post
does it burn oil? lol its a ford of course it does it tells u to check on the gas caps lol no im kidding mine actually dont but the c6 kills it and in a few weeks im going to be getting firehawk 295/50/15's they are 27" and inflate at 44psi great tires especially inflated with nitrogen and i will have aluminum wheels on it so prolly weigh a little more. then i am going to junk the clutch fan coz they are garbage too much rotating mass and loud too... uhm prolly going to run royal purple oil and either their filter or k&n dunno wich is better then going to get a cold air intake ... then better ignition system like msd or sumthing with 8.5mm wires and the e3 plugs so all that should add a lil more mpgs as well as empty the wallet
Wix makes really good filters. Nitrogen in tires is worthless. A "better" ignition isn't going to add up to much of anything. Royal Purple oil is just expensive.

hrm

Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
is royal purple really not worth anything... ive never used it i always used valvoline full synthetic in the 05 ram i had and as far as oil filters i think i used wix or purolator i cant remember i know fram is junk i wouldnt run them on my lawn mower the filter material in them will suck flat and **** ur engine up... the ignition system is a later thaught and the nitrogen well it does help a little ur tires wont look like they are low when its cold and it doesnt expand as much when hot i know they make a big difference when i ran it in the race car....mainly replacing the old stuff my truck is 21 years old with 121k miles and as far as i know everything is original except for the timing chain the timing cover the distributor cap rotory button plugs wires and oil and filter... water pump every thing else is original so prolly some of that stuff i said will help out

Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Bayer-Z28
Senior User
1995 F-150 2WD 302 auto. No mods. just a K&N filter that came with the truck. 149k/almost 150k miles (My 490hp LS1 Camaro gets PHENOMENAL gas mileage!)

-It actually doesn't consume hardly any oil if at all..
-8-10 mpg cit now.. about 18 HW (If I keep it at about 65)
-Fresh-er fuel filter..
-Gotta check the air filter..
-doesn't idle high... Runs great, otherwise..
-Timing is advanced just shy of knocking.
-I do get on it every once in a while.. But I mostly do the speed limit everywhere, or 5 over.. I know jack-rabbit starts don't help at all..
-I run Valvoline Max Life oil filter and Fram filter.. About to switch to AmsOil for a 10k mile oil change interval.. It feels like LAST WEEK I changed that damn oil, and I'm 1k over ALREADY!
-Brand new tires, Toyo Open Country A/T 235's... Stock size..
-E4OD

Nothing is really done to this truck.. I just maintain it very well.. -Except for my first time going 1k over the oil change..

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
zxwut?
Posting Guru
zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.zxwut? has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28 View Post
1995 F-150 2WD 302 auto.. No mods.. just a K&N filter that came with the truck. 149k on the truck.. almost 150k miles.. (My 490hp LS1 Camaro gets PHENOMENAL gas mileage! )

-It actually doesn't consume hardly any oil if at all..
-Fresh-er fuel filter..
-Gotta check the air filter..
-doesn't idle high... Runs great, otherwise..
-Timing is advanced just shy of knocking.
-I do get on it every once in a while.. But I mostly do the speed limit everywhere, or 5 over.. I know jack-rabbit starts don't help at all..
-I run Valvoline Max Life oil filter and Fram filter.. About to switch to AmsOil for a 10k mile oil change interval.. It feels like LAST WEEK I changed that damn oil, and I'm 1k over ALREADY!
-Brand new tires, Toyo Open Country A/T 235's... Stock size..
-E4OD

Nothing is really done to this truck.. I just maintain it very well.. -Except for my first time going 1k over the oil change..
If you have trouble remembering to change your oil, I can only assume that you don't check the level very often either which is not going to be good on a truck with high miles and a 10k mile oil change interval.
Then again, waiting 10k miles to change the oil sounds scary to me regardless.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Bayer-Z28
Senior User
Originally Posted by zxwut? View Post
If you have trouble remembering to change your oil, I can only assume that you don't check the level very often either which is not going to be good on a truck with high miles and a 10k mile oil change interval.
Then again, waiting 10k miles to change the oil sounds scary to me regardless.
I change the Royal Purple on my 2000 Camaro (55k miles) every 6k miles and it still feels good. It's a recreational driver.. I drive it maybe twice a month. I just change the Mobil1 Filter every 3k.. Newer oil tech can withstand a lot more abuse.. Changing the oil on it every 3k was a waste of money @ $50-$60 a pop.. I drained it @ 3k the change before this one and it felt brand new.. was just slightly tinted. I've been turning wrenches for a while and I just go by the feel of the oil now.. Once it starts to feel thin, I change it.. ~6k miles now.. But even then it still feels new, but I don't like it getting very dark.. I ran Mobil1 from day one this is my second cycle running RP.

Read up
Synthetic Oil Life Study

I didn't forget to change the oil, it just went by VERY fast.. and it doesn't consume oil, so whenever I check it it hardly goes down at all..

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
1995 F-150 2WD 302 auto. No mods.
It's doing about as good as can be expected on the highway but 8-10 city means you're driving it like the camaro... which it ain't, so your problem is probably all driving habits.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
zxwut?
Posting Guru
I change the Royal Purple on my 2000 Camaro (55k miles) every 6k miles and it still feels good. It's a recreational driver.. I drive it maybe twice a month. I just change the Mobil1 Filter every 3k.. Newer oil tech can withstand a lot more abuse.. Changing the oil on it every 3k was a waste of money @ $50-$60 a pop.. I drained it @ 3k the change before this one and it felt brand new.. was just slightly tinted. I've been turning wrenches for a while and I just go by the feel of the oil now.. Once it starts to feel thin, I change it.. ~6k miles now.. But even then it still feels new, but I don't like it getting very dark.. I ran Mobil1 from day one this is my second cycle running RP.

Read up
Synthetic Oil Life Study

I didn't forget to change the oil, it just went by VERY fast.. and it doesn't consume oil, so whenever I check it it hardly goes down at all..
That's fine. I just do what I do cause it feels like cheap insurance to me. If it makes you cringe any, I change the oil in my supermoto every 500 miles with $15/liter Elf 10w50 but then again, it only holds a liter and a half of oil and puts down over 50hp at the wheel with a single 500cc slug.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
TexasGuy001
Post Fiend
TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine averages about 15-17 city highway mix. It varies form time to time.

Your best bet is keeping all the fluids and filters clean, as well as keeping the truck tuned up. Also, make sure your tires a properly inflated. If they are low, it will reduce gas mileage.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
It's doing about as good as can be expected on the highway but 8-10 city means you're driving it like the camaro... which it ain't, so your problem is probably all driving habits.

Yep, pretty well maxed out on MPG. Actually very good for a barn door

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
jr32560
Post Fiend
jr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud of
yeah mine ranges between 14 to 20 mpg
so your in the ball park-the more I run it hard the more she drinks gas

Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Bayer-Z28
Senior User
I'm actually getting 12mpg... Clocked it today, and that tank I was getting on it a bit too. all city and a LOT of stop and go.. Not as bad as I thought, I guess I'm just driving a lot.. about 40-50 miles a day and I have to fill this tank every three days.. I'm prolly gonna clean the MAF this weekend.. Just to check..

Got 150 miles to 12.5 gal of gas today.. = 12 mpg..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: redundant 302 fuel mileage gripes...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.