Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have headers on these trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Green_Monster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure of the accuracy of illegal in all 50 states maybe cali but all 50? converters can be put anywhere in system if you do complete custom exhaust

Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Green_Monster
not sure of the accuracy of illegal in all 50 states maybe cali but all 50? converters can be put anywhere in system if you do complete custom exhaust
All 50 states. Emissions standards that relate to catalytic converters are federal, not state.

Google search for: long tube headers legal

First 3 results:

Nothing, even if it's catted, with long tube headers is emissions legal in any state.

From a legal standpoint no long tube headers is "legal" for on-road use if it removes or moves the factory cat.

What is the deal with long tube headers and passing emissions? ... They are not legal under any circumstances on a daily driven car.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
All 50 states. Emissions standards that relate to catalytic converters are federal, not state.

Google search for: long tube headers legal

First 3 results:

Nothing, even if it's catted, with long tube headers is emissions legal in any state.

From a legal standpoint no long tube headers is "legal" for on-road use if it removes or moves the factory cat.

What is the deal with long tube headers and passing emissions? ... They are not legal under any circumstances on a daily driven car.
Thanks for that info. Knew removing it was illegal, but thought as long as you left it on you were okay. Had considered it for mine. That just shot that idea all to 7734.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
i havent seen or heared of a law stating that u can not move the cats from the factory location. so if u have i would like to c a link to the site and if ur state isnt emission controlled meaning u have to get it checked every year to get new tags then i wouldnt worry get them put them on and disturb the peace lol if ur truck has to have cats on it because the o2 sensor is after it u can buy high flows or i cant remember who makes them but they are liar o2 sensors that sends the proper readings to the computer

Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Hitokori
i havent seen or heared of a law stating that u can not move the cats from the factory location. so if u have i would like to c a link to the site and if ur state isnt emission controlled meaning u have to get it checked every year to get new tags then i wouldnt worry get them put them on and disturb the peace lol if ur truck has to have cats on it because the o2 sensor is after it u can buy high flows or i cant remember who makes them but they are liar o2 sensors that sends the proper readings to the computer
Don't know myself. Do know smog laws are FEDERAL as he stated in his post. Think I'll try Google like he said to see what comes up.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
makeos
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hitokori
well in tennessee we arent emission controlled... lol if we were the roads would be empty and when i get the money im trashing my cats and running strait 2.5 inch exhaust was going to go with 3 but i cant find any kits for that size and 2.5 will be enough to rattle my neighbors windows lol and it is going to sound really good when i get a 347 build to go in it
depends on where you live in Tennessee. in Memphis they do have inspections, but only in the city limits. not sure about the other big cities.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
The interpretation of smog laws is where things get stupid, I mean why does it matter what components are on a vehicle or where they are positioned as long as the tailpipe emissions are within spec? Isn't that what it's all about?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be a federal law but i don't think they inforce it , otherwise we would all be in jail ....Lew

Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
yeap as long as it passes thats really all they look for and yes they do sell certain long tube headers that are 50 state legal and CARB certified here is a link to some JBA Headers

Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
cdow21
New User
I have Pace Setter short headers that I put on originally with my stock exhaust, didn't see much change then. A year later I put full front to back duals on. 2 1/2 inch to the mufflers, 2 1/4 inch tail pipes. Big change in the power and sound.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdow21
I have Pace Setter short headers that I put on originally with my stock exhaust, didn't see much change then. A year later I put full front to back duals on. 2 1/2 inch to the mufflers, 2 1/4 inch tail pipes. Big change in the power and sound.
Did the exact same mod to my last truck, excluding tailpipe. Night and day difference. My current truck is basically the same beast as before, and she is slow compared to the old truck with headers and duals

Edit: Oh wait, nevermind. I had LT headers

Last edited by skyfox10; 12-03-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cdow21
So you're still running the pacesetter shorties? You just ran a true dual exhaust all the way back? Do you still have the cats? What did you do with the o2 sensor?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Tried Google, can't find an official government place that says anything. Not sure what to look for. Found what AndyM said, that's what somebody said on a Mustang site. Also a corvette ( piece of 4starsrolet ) site below that said the same thing. Anybody know where to find the " official " government answer? I like the idea of real headers & true duals, but want to stay legal. Just thought of something I didn't try Googleing. May be back to edit this in a few minutes.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1OldFordMan
Tried Google, can't find an official government place that says anything. Not sure what to look for. Found what AndyM said, that's what somebody said on a Mustang site. Also a corvette ( piece of 4starsrolet ) site below that said the same thing. Anybody know where to find the " official " government answer? I like the idea of real headers & true duals, but want to stay legal. Just thought of something I didn't try Googleing. May be back to edit this in a few minutes.
Here: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Section 8, paragraph 5.

(5) Install the converter in the same location as the original.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
1OldFordMan
Logistics Pro

Okay, found it. Here are two links to read. Sounds like you're pretty much stuck with " what ya brung ".

Catalytic Converter Laws

http://www.epa.gov/OTAQ/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Second one is from the E.P.A. & the " Official " government site. Not good news .

Quick Reply: Anybody have headers on these trucks?