Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

diesel must be addicting

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:28 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
diesel must be addicting

Last night I traded for a 56 chevy with a 471 and 5x4 I needed to get rid of a bunch of junk so traded for this old lady says I can't help myself.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my first whiff of diesel before I was born. Dad drive truck from the time he was 18, starting in 1950. Couple uncle's drove truck and operated equipment and I was going to work with them by the time I was 5. I can remember hanging onto the sticks and the handles were higher than my head. 8 yrs old I got into some real trouble when I fired up an old D-6 cat and ran around the field he was digging basements in. Man that guy was HOT, thought he was going to smack me. Then he hauls me up on the machine and proceeds to talk about dangers of equipment and showing me how to dig and push dirt.

Guess I got hooked on diesel, gas engines just don't smell or sound right! DaveS is likely the same way. I just KNOW he was one of those Monfort guys that blew by me coming across Nevada when I thought I was doing good at about 87 mph back in the 70's. That how the inside lane on the freeway got it's name....Monfort lane! Those Monfort boys fairly owned that lane back then, specially after midnight.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
S.P.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HA.HA. Monfort lane.I haven't heard it called that in a long time.
Funning thing with me and diesel smoke, As a kid growing up nothing would make me puke faster than diesel smoke, Dad would follow a semi up some mountain pass and if he was smoking to much it would get me to start feeling sick, diesel smoke just always made me sick.... Then I bout a diesel pickup and after about a couple of months I started to tolerate it, and slowly I got to like it more and more..

Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i trade u the panzer for the war wagon lol

Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joe f350
i trade u the panzer for the war wagon lol

Will not be happening this lifetime.lol

Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
y u say that star the panzer a good truck or are u to old to get in and out of it lol

Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
LOL Joe it probably isn't much higher than the warwagon.
Actually Joe the warwagon is about as wore out as they come with a half million miles on it all of which it was a work truck. It does still run and drive though the d44 with big hubs,the rearend and the 205 divorced tcase and an older 4spd the one with granny and reverse in line on the shift pattern is still remarcably tight and functional. The motor is tired and so is the body. I have a super straight 77 body for it just need to build another motor and either new bushings in the springs or new springs. Never seems to be the time for this kind of thing, and I would rather put a 6.9 in my bronco first just not sure if it will fit with factory air.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Growing up I never even sat in a diesel as my dad and grandpa hated them (dad still does lol). I used to think they smelled bad and sounded awful but something changed don't know what. I decided to convert my Bronco and now I will never go back. I love the sound the power and smell lol. My baby on the other hand still thinks they smell bad and hates to ride in my truck unless it is snowing, then she loves ole Frankenstine!!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Kenpobuck what year is your bronco.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Been away from my truck for about 3 days now an am already going through withdrawl. I've made arrangements to have my pump rebuilt and upgraded by the time I get back. Pulled it the day before I left. Supposedly, I should have access to about 30% over stock max fuel flow.

My electric car is almost done too, so I'll have a few things to look forward to when I get back.

They do have diesels down here, but they aren't the same. Most are 4 poppers (snack sized). Wish they had them in north america too because they seem to go like hellfor their size, but still I miss my 6.9 earth shaker.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Star, she is an 88 xlt. Body is rough but some day she will be as sweet looking on the outside as she is on the in lol.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
They have always had some interesting rigs down there. Ford built a four door falcon down there with a 351 cleveland and 4 spd I would like to have seen.
They also had some bada$$ big trucks. there used to be an 800 mile run that the driver had to do in 8 hours pulling a train to keep his job.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
to bad cali has the stupids smog laws keep i have to get a 75 and older modle to do my swap urg

Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
Star, she is an 88 xlt. Body is rough but some day she will be as sweet looking on the outside as she is on the in lol.
Ok I was just curious as I want to either put an IDI or a 4bt in my 79 not completly sure the IDI will fit with the factory air.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Dave did I understand you were in Australia?

There are bigger F series trucks down there, this is right from Adrians gallery down on the farm there.

Notice dually on all four corners.

Then in the outback you better have the which side of the road you drive on down pat if you meet one of these.

Quick Reply: diesel must be addicting