Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing an alarm. Any tips or tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
davelength
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing an alarm. Any tips or tricks?

I decided to install an alarm on my vehicle and plan to install it myself rather than having someone butcher the wiring. I also figured that if I do it myself and take my time, I might be able to make the system more difficult to circumvent. If anyone has ideas on how alarms are easily bypassed, that would be good to know. I know that no alarm is going to keep a pro from stealing it, but I will feel better knowing that it will take more than a slim-jim and slide hammer for someone to be able to drive away with it.

The alarm has a starter disable feature, but would it make sense to disable a different circuit? If disabling the starter circuit is common practice, it seems like that would be easy enough to bypass. What about having it disable the fuel pump or ignition circuit? Obviously hiding the alarm unit itself plus any changes to the wiring will make it harder to bypass, though that should be easy enough.

Thanks!
Dave