6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Making my own fuel. 6.0 running on B-100

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
If you want to talk bio, send a pm to Don (fabmandelux). He's been making and using it for a long time, and I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
Somebody call me?

Originally Posted by JaySVX

I checked out the biofuel section, not much action going on down there though it seems.
When diesel was around $5/gallon the bio forum was very active. After the price of dino-diesel went back down there is not as much interest now.

I've been into bio for the long term. I've been making and using bio for over 5 years now, and would never go back to reg diesel!

We have several members who are running B-100 in their 6.0's. If you would post a thread in the bio forum there are lot's of guy's that will help you get started (including myself ).

The one thing you need to know about running bio is Quality, Quality, Quality! Anyone can make bio, it's that simple, but making quality bio takes a little more effort, but is well worth it.

Come join us in the bio forum and we'll help you get started!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
tazo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Biodiesel Board - www.biodiesel.org - www.nbb.org
Here is a place with all the info you would ever need about biodiesel.
Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Homebrewing Supplies, Equipment, Processors and Information
And here is a place of how to make biodiesel and supplies.

I have been using biodiesel in truck (see sig) for 2 years. From April thru September I run her on B100. From October thru March I run a blend of B80-B50 depending on the temperature. When going to the extreme cold I run straight dino diesel just to be safe. Depending on the feed stock of the biodiesel it will gel around 32 deg F. So mixing in the cold winter months is a must or there will be problems. There are things that can be done to run her on straight B100 in the winter but can be expensive. You would need a tank heater. They cannot be used on our plastic tank so you would need to get a steel tank. There is then a fuel filter heater which we can use. Then all the fuel lines would need to be insulated and heated. For me not worth the effort. By just running b80 I have seen 25 deg temps with no problems. The only thing that I am concerned about is the viscosity at those cold temps and the fuel pump working overtime to compensate.
I keep a spare fuel filter and tools in the truck for those just in case emergency filter change which I have had to do a couple of times. If the power seems low I change those filters fast so I don't loose an injector or fuel pump. I try to keep a keen ear and monitor the motor all the time.
Since Biodiesel has less energy and BTU's I get around 1 1/2 mpg less and the motor has a little less power. The power loss is not a big deal since these motors are a beast. I am sure using a programer programed for biodiesel use would bring the power and mpg back but I haven't fooled with that yet.
I get a lot of comments from people and they all give me thumbs up for using biodiesel. The truck runs a lot smoother and the diesel clatter is quieted down quite a bit. The exhaust smell like fried chicken so be ware it will make you hungry.
As far as making my own biodiesel I do not have the energy or time so I am not that knowledgeable about that. I do know that the single most important thing about using biodiesel in our 6.0 psd engines is quality. It must be the best. My supplier checks for quality before it is allowed the put in their tanks. It gives me some reassurance of their quality.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
Where do you buy b100?

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jay, buddy, pal, friend... I might just be interested in some of that there bio. I can at least use it for the homestead to keep my butt warm. Keep me posted. I might just have to get myself a tank to haul it in and an electric pump for the house. I think I might be able to procure something like that from work.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM
tazo
Elder User
Biodiesel.org - Retail Fueling Sites
Click on your state and a retail map should pop up.