1996 F250 E40D - No Gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Rooster368
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F250 E40D - No Gears

I double posted this in the era specific forum as well, but figured it might be better in this forum.

I have a 1996 F250, 2WD with a 351 and E40D tranny. The transmission will not engage in any position. Here is the quick breakdown:
><O></O>
Background
1. No noticeable slippage in the weeks leading up to the failure
2. The O/D switch was repeatedly pushed while driving the night before the failure (long story)
3. The morning of the failure, truck was driving fine, then the engine died. It wouldn’t start without jumping the starting solenoid. (Not sure if this important, but I had to jump the truck to get it started, but this is a relatively new battery and had no issues prior to the failure.)
4. Once started, I had no forward or reverse gears; however the truck is moveable in neutral and holds in park.
<O></O>
Symptoms
1. When shifting between gears, I do notice an rpm change, however there is no reaction in the transmission (i.e. no signs of engagement)
2. Replaced the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS…aka MLPS)
3. Verified there is no fluid change (on the dipstick) from a cold start.
4. Removed the top cooler line, and found the line dry. Upon starting, there was no fluid flow.
<O></O>
Given the rapid and sudden failure (along with the unexpected battery drain), I figured the problem to be electrical, but knowing there is no fluid level change, it seems like I may have a mechanical failure on the pump. Any thoughts on what else I should check out, or what it could be.
<O></O>
Thanks,
Rich

Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...d-i-found.html Have a read at this.
However one of the transmission experts here never tires of saying that the E4OD will move forward and reverse even with no electrical connections to it.
I would think if you drop the pan you will probably find a collection of bits.
Hopefully some of the experts will give an opinion soon.

Last edited by Lazy K; 12-01-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is NOTHING electrical that will keep the trans from engaging forward or reverse. As you found out the TRS wasn't the problem.

No fluid level change and no fluid in the cooler line means the pump isn't pumping. Either the pump failed or the input shaft failed. It sure isn't an electrical problem.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Rooster368
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped the Pan

I pulled the pan down today and found it glimmering like the night sky.

From rebuilding a Dodge I know that any metal is bad, but I am curious how I got this much metal without having any erratic shifting issues prior to the sudden failure. I am even more curious where the metal might have come from.

I know when I restarted it right after it shutdown, I did not hear any noises from the tranny...so that almost makes me think it may not be the pump (i.e. grinding) This may be an incorrect assumption, I am basing it on my experiences with Dodge trannys (i.e. the TC is directly connected to the pump, thus,. seizure of the pump may stall the engine).

With all the material in the pan, I guess the filter could be completely clogged which may have led to the "no flow" condition; I am tempted to put a new filter on it and add fluid, just to see if I get flow. Any body got an idea how much more damage this could do?

I'd rather not go into this thing, but I have never seen that much metal in a pan before. Anyone want to give me hope, or break the bad news?

Thanks,
Rich