Glow plugs, 87 thru 94, new style system - Page 8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Glow plugs, 87 thru 94, new style system

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
The 94 ....actually the 87 to 94 glow plug relay is mounted on the engine, the connector is before the relay.

The 83 thru 86 system has the connector after the relay since the relay is mounted on the inner fender.

So back to the connector, near the dip stick where the engine harness plugs into the chassis harness.
Two large wires on one end of the connector, should be yellow or tan in color supply battery voltage to the glow plug relay battery terminal.
That connector can overheat and melt just like the one on the older system since it has the same amount of power going through it.

No or low power to the glow plugs, it is not going to start like it should because the glow plugs are either cold or not warm enough.

Find a good ground on the block and put one lead of the DVM there.
Set it to ohm's.
now remove the connector from each glow plug and touch the other lead to the glow plug pin where the connector was.

You should read between .5 and 1 ohm.

Open plugs are burnt out.
Plugs that have higher resistance are getting weak, not getting as hot as they should.
Also since the controller uses resistance feedback to time the heat cycle, the glow time will be shorter than it should be.

That compounds the problem, plug is making less heat than it should and is on for a shorter length of time.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Postmaster

rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.
back after popular demand
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Postmaster

wreckinball is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Glow plugs, 87 thru 94, new style system

Well i got crafty and decided to play in the garage during a rainy day. Hooked up my old beru GP to the battery charger. 12+ volts later it ran consecutive for 12 minutes before we got bored. Wasn't before we had some fun but you can see just how bored my boys got haha. Attached is the link to youtube where i dropped the video. Hope everyone is well, and next will be the autolite plug, just gotta get the the parts store to pick it up. This isnt a bash against the makers of autolite but every plug autolite and bosch i buy here in BC canada dies instantly. Show me video of a dependable autolite NOT TEMP LIMITING that can last that long, ANYONE!!??

My Video

p.s. ill get better i promise hahahaha
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Posting Guru

greywynd is starting off with a positive reputation.
We could really test 'em, and hook them up to the 24V batteries in my excavator......
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Postmaster

buddy of mine has one, i am game!! i have the same GP still kicking and i have three others. This unit was a used one from that junk truck i worked forever on and had to end up rigging up for a friend. This is "test of time" example. below is the pic of it after testing that day

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Elder User

tabascom16 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Comforting news. I would burn through a few Autolites after a few months of only driving the truck 1-2 days a week. Got the Beru and they have been in there about two years now and still truckin. Also had them on a manual switch. The Beru did heat up much slower. About 9 seconds vs 5 seconds.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Postmaster

The GP i put to the test i would guess to be around 4-6 years old. oh and i wanted to make sure everyone knew and could see so here is a video just to make sure i dont get the haters around......

voltage proof

Closed Thread