Glow plugs, 87 thru 94, new style system - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Glow plugs, 87 thru 94, new style system

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior User

bcarless is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't plan on using it. I'll be returning it tomorrow. The truck has been sitting for several weeks. I still gotta get battery cables and possibly a new block heater. Thank God for this site and all those involved.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Freshman User

tow pro 570 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well checked glow plug harness out no splices or cut ,cracks so i ordered new glow plug s (Bosch i know ) and i'm going to put other modual on when they come in so we will see what happens
Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD !D! TURBO View Post
I got a quick question guys can I use a later model relay on a 1994 F-250 7.3 IDI TURBO i got the price for a new GP controller from ford it was like $190????
A 1994 7.3 IDI turbo uses the new style controller/relay.

You can't use anything newer than 94 since the Power Strokes glow plugs are controlled by the computer.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior User

Navistar444 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a '94 E350 thats acting strange. Replaced the controller, and 6 of 8 glow plugs. Now it comes on solid for 6-8 seconds, then starts cycling like a clock. (1 second intervals, on-off-on-off) for about 15-20 seconds. I know it should afterglow, but the speed and consistency of the cycling seems unusual, and probably hard on the glow plugs. Can anyone offer me some advise on this?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Are you having starting problems?

Does it continue to cycle after the engine starts?

What are your local temps like?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

WarOzz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fixed starting problem due to this thread, now need gp connectors!

Well Just got my first diesel two weeks ago, 1992 Ford F250 with the 7.3 in it. Run's like a champ but with cold days here I was having hard start issues After lots of research and reading this thread I learned how to test and repair the system. Problem child was a bad controller box, it wasn't shutting off power to the glow plugs at all, and as a result 5 bad glow plugs. Replaced the controller with a BWD and got all new Motocraft plugs and she will start now in 20 degree weather with no block warmer!

One test I found not listed here that did identify the problem for me was out of the Haynes diesel manual. It has a test were you unhook all your gp's and hook a light up to the test terminal of the relay. Turn on your key and wait to see how long for the light to go out. Check that against the chart to see if your controller is working. In 0 degree weather it should be between 15 and 30 seconds. This time is different then the wait to start light time.

This is the test that showed me the power was staying on! Replace the box and move on to the next problem... bad glow plugs from the power being on and frying them.

In doing all this work I found I had two glow plug connectors with no boot at all and a couple others with cracks in the boot. I have searched all over and cannot find new connectors or even a new gp harness. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ed
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior User

9473 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome Ed. These guy's carrier replacement bullet connectors. Look under glow plugs.

<style></style>
7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories
Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
I can help on glow plugs and a controller too.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Posting Guru

New Problem! Please Help!

Hey 9473 thanks for the link, I am going to order some of the boots.

Ok so to refresh, I have 1992 F250 7.3, I changed out the bad glow plugs and the controller box and fixed some bad/loose wiring. GP's seem to be working fine now and the truck is firing right up after about 10 seconds of "wait to start" light in 30 degree temperature.

New problem is I noticed today that sometimes the gp's continue to cycle for up to 20 seconds after the truck is running! By cycle I mean controller click on/off, not only can you hear it but can see it on the volt gauge.

I know the previous owner changed out the ignition switch, the tumbler itself. I know this because I have three separate keys for the truck, door, glove box and ignition. Also I have had problems with the tumbler locking into the off position properly and the whole thing seems a bit looser then it should be.

My question... is this gp cycling after truck is running inherent to a known problem? or Should I change that ignition switch asap and see if that fixes it?

Once again any help is appreciated! I am really worried that this cycling is going to ruin my new $140 controller or some of my new gp's.

Ed
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Postmaster

farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.
It is normal for the relay to cycle after startup. It helps the engine to stay running when is is cold.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Posting Guru

Thx Tom

Thanks Tom, I would never have guessed that was normal behavior. This being my first diesel I still got a lot to learn. Now that you mention it though it was not the same every time, the warmer the engine the less after start clicks I got.

Ed
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
New User

Alwaysfishn' is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good Evening folks, Beings that this is the sticky for the Glow Plugs I'm looking for the Bullet insulated connectors can you point me in the direction for new ones? Mine are gone they just fell apart. I've called Napa and a couple other auto part places in my neck of the woods but they have came back in saying no can do, now I called Oregon Fuel Injectors out of Eugene,Or. They said they have what is called wiring harness for my 1994 IDI 7.3 F250 for $170 does that sound right or can I buy just the insulators?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Posting Guru

Rick posted a link for a place that sells them online, mine have the same trouble. I believe the site is 7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories

Just curious, is your neck of the woods somewhere in Oregon?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
New User

Alwaysfishn' is starting off with a positive reputation.
Actually southwest Washington
Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Posting Guru

ah ok, southern Oregon here.

Closed Thread