Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Glow plugs, 83 thru 86, old style

Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
That is exactly what I have always said.

Small wires with a big load to drop the voltage to the plugs.
Otherwise with the correct wire size, like if I was wiring something in a house with that many amps it would be at least an AWG 3 copper wire and probably a AWG 2 because of distance.

With wires that size, the glow plugs would be hot in 3 seconds.

As for the Autolite plugs here is a post copied from another thread posted today.

i put 8 new autolite glow plugs in my 93f350 to avoid winter problems. 3 weeks later
3 were already burned out. i had a problem getting one out because it swelled up
in the hole and was stuck. i used pb blaster and 3 hours of patience. i switched all
to motor craft and repaired 2 injection lines leaking fuel sometimes,which means
could pull in air and lose prime. now it starts in about 2 seconds at 34degrees
good luck p.s i learned the hard way

Again, I will never recommend Autolite glow plugs and will recommend they not be used.
Post 18 in this thread,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8204050

I don't have the opinion I do about Autolite glow plugs for no reason.
I read it constantly right here in this forum.
With winter here, many of the people in this forum will not be starting their engines if the glow plugs are dead.
And many of them may be out on temps at or below zero for three hours trying to get one stuck Autolite glow plug out of their head that they installed three weeks ago when it was warmer thinking thay would be good to go all winter after they read your post.
And do believe me, you are the only person posting how great Autolite glow plugs are.
Not sure what the temp is outside right now, but it is below freezing, so I do know where the northern people are coming from when they can't get the engine started and are out in the driveway working on their truck.
So I will still say the same thing to every post you make recommending Autolite glow plugs.
They may be OK in Florida, but most of us are not there.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Jim Allen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting discussion. I had nothing but trouble with the glow system in my old 6.2L and about 18 years of no trouble in my '86 Ford, which has a nearly identical system. I replaced the ORIGINAL glow plugs after 18 years in 04. Four had gone but came out OK. I replaced the controller just because.

I won't tell you how many times I replaced controller and glow plugs on the 6.2L (I'm sure I put someone's kid thru college) until I built my own manual system. Kennedy Diesel had some glow plugs that you could hook up to a battery with jumper cables and it would just sit there and glow until the battery was dead. Tried that with some ACs and they could go about 10-15 seconds. Even with the whiz-bang glow plugs, the 6.2L never started as good in cold weather as the Ford. On both trucks, though, just a few seconds of extra glow time really helps a lot... if you have a glow plug that will take it. I'm not actually sure what I put into the Ford in '04. Likely Autolite, but I guess I'll look

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Fishin76 has a good reputation on FTE.Fishin76 has a good reputation on FTE.
Autolite themselves rated the 1107s (which cross for ZD1-A's) at 6v and 53W. Go to the website and see for yourself. click parts catalog and type in 1107. look at the specs.

According to the catalog I can use 1115's too. they are 11v 80w (unregulated also)

I'd like to know why you say the 1109's vs the 1110's vs 1106's...... Specs from autolite below.

1109's 5MM Probe Diameter, 11.5V 60W, .250" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil

1110's 5MM Probe Diameter, 10V 70W, .250" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil

1106's 5MM Probe Diameter, 11V 75W, .250" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil

1112's 5MM Probe Diameter, 10.5V 90W, .250" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil

just for reference.. Both cross ref for Motorcraft ZD1-A
1107's 5MM Probe Diameter, 6V 53W, .324" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil, Uses a voltage controller
1115's .192" Probe Diameter, 11V 80W, .328" Spade Terminal Connector, Sheathed Coil, Uses a voltage controller

Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
johnboggs21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I dont care what anyone says about other brands of glow plugs, I will always use motorcraft plugs. I have never heard of anyone having to pull the head because of a broken tip that used the motorcraft plugs. I say don't fix what aint broke.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
johnboggs21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey, their's a reason that the autolites have the reputation they do. If they want people to recommend them and to buy their product then they'd make a glow plug that doesnt burn out over the first few uses.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Autolite does not make a plug that will work with the stock controller that is self regulating (dual coil) for the 6.9L. But WAP (Wellman) does. I have a set coming today.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
because you ordered ZD-9's from the diesel stop and they sent you wellmans instead, which burnt out within a week of installation??
hahahahaha., NO....

The ZD-9 replacements made by WAP are NOT self regulating dual coil gp's. These plugs for the 6.9L are new design. If you look at WAP's cross reference pdf, they have two part numbers for 6.9L. '80's and '88's '88's are the new design. No extra part numbers for the 7.3L yet.

The only reason i am trying them is the self-regulating dual coil design. They could have been autolites for all i care, I just want self regulating and works with the stock controller.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
parsons913bp
New User
parsons913bp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to change the subject BUT, when I do the manual GP mod do I remove the hot wire from the battery to the Gp relay and just use the power source from the temporary switch? I'm just trying to get my rig on the road (bought it yesterday). Also have a transmission question, but I'll start another thread for that.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
Marianna2003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey use the solenoid just hook your button to it in place of the controller. Dave S has an extremely good explain and schematic of how to do it.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
damac
Senior User
damac is starting off with a positive reputation.
This past sunday we got the manual switch working with our 85 junker we picked up a few weeks ago. The other guy had it starting on 5/8 glowplugs in sub 40 temps. We just thought we would replace a few plugs at the time, but the damn controller tweaked out and poof went more plugs so after reading this forum allot since getting the truck, we said screw it and yanked all the glowplugs(they were all autolites), did the manual switch, and got 8 new motocraft plugs.

It is 30-50 out this week. Truck starts up within a couple revolutions after hitting the glowplug switch for 5 seconds before hitting the starter

It also took me 3 full days to extract those 8 autolite plugs I had to be so carefull to work them in/out and rig my lever to pop them up and out of their holes once unthreaded.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
parsons913bp
New User
parsons913bp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did the same thing this past weekend. I replaced all the GP's with motorcraft and did the manual switch and starts like new. Now once I get my tranny sorted out I'll be set.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Try about 9 or 10 seconds on the glow plugs at low temps.

If you still have heat in the engine, glow plugs are not needed.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
alanart
New User
alanart is starting off with a positive reputation.
glow plug voltage

The glow plugs are designed to run on 6 volts. My '87 has a huge resistor on the back of the intake manifold to lower the voltage. If one or more plugs goes out, then the voltage goes up to the rest, shortening their life.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend
Alanart,
Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

That is actually the controller/relay on the intake of your 87.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
drewdole
Senior User
drewdole is starting off with a positive reputation.
where do you buy glowplugs

so should you buy them at napa or ford, how much do they cost???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glow plugs, 83 thru 86, old style

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.