Join Chapter, Leader:

Are you guys aware of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Dana Jensen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys aware of this?

Idaho hot rodders could face steeper noise fines | News Updates | Idaho Statesman

The jist of the story, in case it expires before you read it, is that they want to make it a $1000 fine to have an altered exhaust system. Here's the text:

Idaho hot rodders could face steeper noise fines

By JOHN MILLER - Associated Press Writer
Edition Date: 02/19/09

BOISE, Idaho — Hot rodders whose modified mufflers rattle windows and disturb the sleep of Idaho residents could face fines of as much as $1,000 after members of a neighborhood group told lawmakers Thursday that existing penalties aren't sufficient to get local police to enforce noise limits.

Idaho law now requires "every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway."

What's more, the law makes it illegal to even "sell, offer for sale, or install any noise suppressing system or device which will produce excessive or unusual noise."

But Craig Hlousek, a Boise resident, told the Senate Transportation Committee that young people in his neighborhood are leading a "terrorist existence" by installing so-called "glasspack" mufflers that increase power, but do little to reduce engine noise.

"This generation is disturbing the peace," said Hlousek. The fine is just $52. He says when he calls the police, they tell him it's "not enough to bother with it."

On a 7-1 vote, the committee agreed to consider enacting a stiffer statewide penalty for drivers with noisy cars outfitted with mufflers from companies such as Cherry Bomb, whose advertisements read "Disturbing the peace since 1968." Some said up to $1,000 would be appropriate.

"If law enforcement won't enforce the law because it's not worth their while, let's make it worth their while," said Sen. Elliot Werk, D-Boise.

Still, the panel's lawmakers balked at supporting the out-and-out "glasspack ban" that Hlousek wanted, saying existing state law already prevents drivers from making too much noise.

"If the current law is not being enforced, this is an issue that belongs before the local city council, not the state Legislature," said Sen. Jim Hammond, R-Post Falls.

A Boise Police Department spokeswoman, Lynn Hightower, said traffic complaints about excessively loud mufflers are investigated, albeit with a lower priority than more serious complaints.

"It's certainly something that our officers would respond to," Hightower said.

Car buffs who criticized Hlousek's proposal to boost the fine and ban glasspacks told the panel aftermarket muffler modifications aren't to blame.

It's people who drive inappropriately, they said.

"The fault of the matter is how a vehicle is driven by an individual," said Tom Ammerman, owner of Ammerman Custom Exhaust in Garden City, a Boise suburb. He fears if the special mufflers were outlawed, installers like his own business could be in hot water.

And Bill Goodnight, of the 900-member United Street Rods of Idaho group, called a $1,000 fine "draconian."

Rather than making the existing state law tougher, Goodnight said, it should be thrown out completely - on grounds the provision that makes it illegal for shops to sell or install noise-making mufflers turns law-abiding retailers and car buffs into outlaws.

"It criminalizes hundreds of small businesses in Idaho," he said. "We can't understand how it even became law."

Legislators including Sen. Joyce Broadsword, R-Sagle, agreed, saying she'll propose dumping that provision when lawmakers debate boosting the fine in coming weeks.

Broadsword added she doubts police are unwilling to respond to muffler-related complaints now, from personal experience: Her own son was once fined by authorities for running his modified motorcycle at full bore inside the garage of their northern Idaho home.

"In my community, they've got a decibel meter," Broadsword said. "He received a ticket because he was breaking the decibel barrier."

Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 AM
EricW.
Senior User
Starting to sound like Little California with all the new laws going into place...

Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM
jwshobe
Senior User
Originally Posted by EricW.
Starting to sound like Little California with all the new laws going into place...
I sincerely hope not.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
jwshobe
Senior User
Sounds like to me that someone with a little bit of pull is afraid to go and talk to the kids or the kids parents to resolve this issue. I have personally talked with parents on the street that I live because their kid was speeding up and down the street and we have several little ones on our street. After talking with the parent the kid now drives slow down the streets. I didn't call the cops to try and get him a ticket. The short answer is that Hlousek needs to grow a set.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM
bcrab
Senior User
"This generation is disturbing the peace,"
Its been that way for as long as I can remember.
What they need to outlaw is the rice burners that sound like loud sewing machines.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
EricW.
Senior User
Only problem with outlawing the ricers it is kinda like profiling, without one can't have the other...

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Guess my F250 will be illegal, then, I'm not taking the knock-off Flowmasters off it.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, suddenly I'm a terrorist. I dont have mufflers on my truck or my mustang, and nobody complains. I am respectful of my neighbors and dont go racing my rides up and down the street. You know what, little whiny azz cry babies **** me off, maybe there should be a $1000 fine for being a whiny little terd.

The one guy they quoted in the article, Tom Ammerman of Ammerman's custom exhaust is a good guy. He's done the exhaust on all my vehicles. He did make me sign a waiver saying he wasn't responsible for the sound my truck would create...I guess I can't blame him.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
bigunred
Elder User
just another gimmick to boost revenue such as charging you a set amount per mile to drive. I wouldnt be surprised if this person was approched to solicit this. Having lived in valley county i've seen some wierd stuff in the name of money.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Did that bill pass? I hope not cause I don't plan to put mufflers on my 56 fairlane . nothing sounds better than a 292 y/block with full length straight pipes. It's been that way for 20 years and never a warning, you just learn how to control it. Craig Hlousek needs to visit out in the farming areas and listen to all the farming machinery make noise. I bet he would complain obout that to.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
metalbender
Junior User
Exclamation take thier keys

Take thier keys and make them ride a bicycle! I to get sick of listening to these weed eater sounding cars. Can't buy a good car, buy a muffler to make it sound like one?

Old 11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by metalbender
Take thier keys and make them ride a bicycle! I to get sick of listening to these weed eater sounding cars. Can't buy a good car, buy a muffler to make it sound like one?
They think if they put a big ugly sounding muffler on there the have lots of power. I can/t stand the sound of those rice burners and will never own one.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM
crash1
Posting Guru
its those worthless greeny tree huggers pushing this stuff every where