Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High Pressure Oil Pump / Top End Oil Change

Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Pressure Oil Pump / Top End Oil Change

While looking for some other information, I found this video: http://powerstrokehelp.com/7.3liter/inj_tune/1of4.asp

I have owned my truck for over 10 years. I've done all the oil changes and thought I was pretty good about the basic maintenance, but this video presented brand new information that I was completely ignorant about. I was scratching my head wondering how accurate the claim was that the oil in the high pressure oil pump and the oil feeding the injectors did not get mixed well with the oil in the lower end. I proved the issue to to my own satisfaction just today.

I had changed my oil a week ago in the same manner as I always do; drain the pan, remove the primary filter, remove the by-pass filter, put new filters on and put 15 quarts back in. Since that oil change I have put 250 miles on the truck. I would think that would have given the oil plenty of opportunity to circulate through the entire system. I pulled the dip stick today and the oil is still a see through honey color. At this point I followed the instructions in the video and withdrew the oil from the high pressure oil pump. The oil I extracted was as black as coal. Obviously this black oil had not mixed with the new honey colored oil.

This has confirmed in my mind that the claim in the video is accurate. I didn't use the additives recommended, rather I refilled with straight 15-40 oil. I wish I had been aware of this 150,000 miles ago. Then again, maybe you guys knew this already and already perform this procedure regularly.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:06 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There was some debate on this awhile back. I even did the HPO change myself. My oil didn't look much different than the oil drained from the pan. IIRC, Chris (F350-6) did an oil analysis of both oil samples on his and found them to be almost alike. I did the change once and didn't bother to do it again. The only other time I changed this oil after that was when I replaced my HPOP. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Roland's right. I went around a quarter of a million miles without ever changing my HPOP oil. I sucked the oil out of there and sent it to Blackstone along with the oil I drained out of my pan at the 5,000 oil change interval. Blackstone couldn't tell any difference between the two.

I've also pulled the front cover off a 7.3 at work. There was no signs of any sludge or the issues he talks about in that video. (The front cover includes the lower half of the HPOP reservoir)

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason to drain the HPOP resevoir is to get 1 more quart of dirty oil out when changing the oil. used to do it when I had lots of time on my hands. now not so much. sorry but with the amount of oil that goes through the injectors and IPR there is no way that the oil stays in the top end very long.

Barney

Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Put succinctly, don't listen to that bonehead.......

Old 11-26-2009, 09:58 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
We have a T444E in an International bus that occasionally dies immediately after starting because the HPOP depletes the oil out of its resevoir faster than the engine oil pump can refill it, likely oil pump or pickup tube issue as the resevoir does not leak down after sitting for several days. If the HPOP resevoir oil was not circulating and freely mixing with the rest of the engine oil, we would not be having our issue.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by bfife
with the amount of oil that goes through the injectors and IPR there is no way that the oil stays in the top end very long.
Barney

I had thought the same thing. What has changed my mind is my first hand experience. I have 250 miles on the fresh oil that shows up as a clean amber color on the dipstick. At 250 miles I would think it has recirculated through the entire engine several times, yet the oil in the HPOP is as black as coal. I would have thought that after 250 miles the oil would all be a uniform color from no matter where it is pulled. Due to this not being the case, I give some validity to the assertion that is made in the video.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Crack one of the HPOP plugs on the heads, see how fast the oil comes out. I know from personal experience that one cracked HPOP o-ring will blow 8 quarts of oil all over the engine galley in 1/2 mile a 60 mph.

Barney

Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by firemediceric
I had thought the same thing. What has changed my mind is my first hand experience. I have 250 miles on the fresh oil that shows up as a clean amber color on the dipstick. At 250 miles I would think it has recirculated through the entire engine several times, yet the oil in the HPOP is as black as coal. I would have thought that after 250 miles the oil would all be a uniform color from no matter where it is pulled. Due to this not being the case, I give some validity to the assertion that is made in the video.
You're looking at a very thin film of oil on your dipstick.

Dip your dipstick in the HPOP reservoir and compare apples to apples.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firemediceric
The stock 17 degree HPOP is a fixed displacement piston pump that flows 7.2cc's per revolution. The HPOP spins at 85% of the engine speed. In other words, even at idle it moves a good amount of oil.

On top of that, the oil ALWAYS goes back to the oil pan to mix with the rest of the oil, either through the IPR or after passing through the injectors.

The guy in the video doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do the top oil just to get more of the oil out, i dont think that it stays there very long. i think more old out and more new in could help.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Put succinctly, don't listen to that bonehead.......
Originally Posted by Pocket

The guy in the video doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
He's got a pretty good reputation around here I see.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
guitar_zan
New User
I've been searching the net for a few days on this subject & no matter what, you have to take peoples statements at face value. One guy said he "read" in a International or Navistar 7.3 manuel that the high pressure is a seperate deal & needs to be changed. I read about how the oil gets into the res through a 1 way check valve, & thats great. NOBODY has givin a clear description ov a return path. Going past the injector & drain back to the sump doesnt sound rite. In fact any return path being pumped with 400 + PSI sounds wrong. As far as pulling a "plug" to see the large amount of oil flow & saying that proves that it recurculates is just nuts. You just gave it a place to go. A return after the high pressure is built would screw the pressure up. Just a few thousanths of a leak in the pump gears is enough to screw your pressure. It for sure doesn't have a drain at the bottom, or thr res would be dry every start up. The guy here who had clean (250 mile) oil on the dip & then the res was (coal black) makes me think the fat bald guy on you tube might have a point. In 250 miles NO oil in the motor should be black, weather you see it on a dip stick or in a glass jar.(apples to apples). I'm ready for a oil change real soon. I'm close to 5,000 & thinking of changing the top res now, knowing it will be black & nasty. Then in a few days I'll do the main change & re-check the top res. If it does circulate it will be BLACK & full of 5,000 mile oil again. If it's still clean & I have nasty 5,000 mile oil in the rest of my system, then MY mind will be made up. I don't need to send a sample to anyone at that point. Clean is clean & black is dirty. If anyone cares, I'll post my results. I don't claim to know anything or have specific training, but I have see more than enough "experts" in different fields that had things soooo wrong. I like to see things for my self & or see / read technical data.(not aftermarket sales data)

Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

knock yourself out Spanky. when you really understand how the HPOP system works you will realize what a waste of time this is. enjoy

Barney

Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the HPOP oil change my first time changing the oil in that truck. The oil was the exact same color and consistency as the oil out of the pan. It was a complete waste of my time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Pressure Oil Pump / Top End Oil Change