1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is it ok to run the engine with valve covers removed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it ok to run the engine with valve covers removed?

I am going to try and figure out why I have such a loud knock on the passenger side of my motor. In doing research about what to look for, I noticed that someone else said to watch the injectors with the valve covers removed and make sure that each injector is spitting oil as it fires. I have never removed my valve covers before, so this is a bit of a mystery to me and I need to know what, if anything, needs to stay connected (for lack of better words) when I remove the covers.

While I'm in there I plan to retorque the rocker arms and do the 50cent UVCH mod. Is there anything else I should do?

Other than the knock, and what I consider to be a louder-than-normal motor, the truck runs fine. I don't notice any other problems, but I wonder if it will run a little better if I can figure out what is causing all this racket???

edit: I wanted to add that I don't have any noticable smoke at all, that's one thing that has me wondering if it is an injector problem at all? Wouldn't a bad injector cause white smoke or something?

Thanks

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Running with VC's off is no big deal. Just leave all the wiring connected and remove the bolts and VC's. Simple enough. Be careful on the bolt w/ stud for the oil dipstick. Be sure to break the nut loose and don't let the bracket twist. I did this when we were diagnosing a miss on a fellow member's truck and I wanted to confirm a bad injector. I even unplugged the injectors while it was running and didn't get fried. lol I wouldn't rev it up though. Idle is OK. Look for oil spitting out the deflectors on top side of the injectors near the pushrods. You may need a light to see the oil spitting out.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
What Roland said, and don't rev it up.
FWIW, I have a full set of eight new Alliants in my engine, and it still knocks on #8 when cold.
#1 is starting to fail a contribution test already.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious... Do you run fuel additives, Dan?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ i know where youre headed with that loaded question!

slight hijack! Joe did that ipr work out for you?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Curious... Do you run fuel additives, Dan?
Diesel clean grey bottle.
Just about all the fuel up here in Washington is mandated up to about B5 or so.
It was a little shady right out of the box and I called the warehouse about it, but didn't find the time to deal with it.
It runs GREAT as is, but the CC test shows about a 3% rpm drop where all the rest are less than .5%
It also likes to knock heavily after I pull a mountain pass and stop at the summit to let traffic go by.
It quits knocking after about a minute, and never misses, smooth idle the whole time.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack the thread, but what causes the contribution test numbers to vary? I mean I got varying numbers on 1,3,5, and 8! The others are zeros, but at idle, 8 will go up to 3.8% or so???

Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Danny,

What color CPS do you have installed?

Pop