Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had this ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
raggy74
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had this ignition problem?

I have a 92 f150 and it starts fine but then when I turn the key back, there is no resistance an nothing happens. I have to switch to the rear empty tank to kill the motor then undo the battery terminal to kill the interior lights. No one has been able to be straight with me and tell me what the problem is. They all want me to just bring it in. I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic but I have never taken apart a steering column before. Please help!

Richard

Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ition-fun.html Read this thread, in particular the post by BChance. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
raggy74
New User
Thanks for the link. I read it and it is very similar to my problem. I replaced the ign lock cylinder and it didnt fix the problem. The rod seems to not disengage. I cant seem to find any good free diagrams online. If only I could see a good diagram, I'm sure I could take it apart myself and repair it.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
lillbro11
Junior User
its not bad just make sure u have a steering wheel puller before u try to tear it down cause it has to come off. I'll watch this post and help you out.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
raggy74
New User
Thanks! I going to rent a steering wheel puller right now and I will keep my progress posted.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
WhiteZombie
Senior User
i had a similar problem ware i would turn my truck off but the engine would not shut down. my problem was the way my ignition set up was wired. it was not wired to a switched ignition it was wired to a constant power. but if you did not recently replace any ignition parts this is not the problem.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
raggy74
New User
Yeah all I've replaced on it so far is the ign lock cylinder. I wish it was a simple wire but I think its the accuater rod or the gear under it that is groken on one side or something crazy like that. I havent had a chance to break it apart any further though.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
WhiteZombie
Senior User
ill look through my diagrams and see if i have anything to help but if worst comes to worst go to your local scrap yard and see the setup on a similar year truck. ive had to do this several times.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
lillbro11
Junior User
What you need to do is drop the column and see if the rod moves in relation to the key being turned. ( if you want to try to check it without taking the column down you can. just remember if the key is moving the rod is moving) Turning to start it goes toward the firewall and turning off and back to acc. moves it toward the steering wheel. If it doesn't move back like it's supposed to then the problem is in the top of the column. If it is moving back all the way then it's the switch at the bottom. From my experiences I'd have to say it's the (rack) on the top of the column. They are made of a soft metal and have a tendency to break. If you or someone else on here can tell me how to post a picture then I can put some that I took of my 88's column in pieces.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
If your 92 is an air bag equipped truck (I dont remember when airbags were put in trucks) you can not just yank the steering wheel off and start working on disassembly of the column, without getting a face full of air bag.

You can use a harmonic balancer puller to pull steering wheels as well, and if you have the harmonic balancer puller already no need to buy the steering wheel puller. Or you can buy the harmonic balancer puller/steering wheel puller just incase you need to pull that off some day.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
raggy74
New User
It is fixed column without air bags. I wish I could have worked on it today but its been raining and 45 degrees outside. I am not sure how to put picks on here but That would be great if you could. I am more of a visual person vs instruction books. Thanks for all your help guys. Just a side note, I just recently found out that my truck is actually the "Nite" edition only made a couple of years in the early 90's. I was thinking about restoring it completely except having the stickers custom made different colors cause the original one are a little feminine.