Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F350 wont run

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 AM
bassenator
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94 F350 wont run

Have a 94 350 w/ 5.8 and E4OD since 94. it started runnung like crap and finally would not start in the am w/o starting fluid. Once running it would then start the rest of the day but would miss something fierce. the last time it ran the fuel pumps would not shut off after about 2 sec as before when the key was turned on and after leaving parked for a while (1+ years) the pumps (rear had not worked for years before) did not work at all. Replaced them both with new pumps and again they don't stop runing when the key is turned on and the truck will not start. It will start with starting fluid but will not run with out it.

Has new pressure regulator, egr valve, fuel filter, and fuel pressure builds to 40PSI and drops about 4-5 PSI in twenty minutes, holds overnight at about 25 - 30 PSI.

How do I check the injectors for proper function? Could this be the computer? Whats the difference between PCM and ECM, EEC? where is the computer in this truck? How do I test it?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
bassenator
Trailering
addittionally it will not conect in order to read any codes.

al help is welcomed and needed.

p.s. This site ROCKS

Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am no expert but the computer would be suspect. Does the Check Engine Light come on for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to run? If so you could try pulling codes using the CEL and see if that works.
The computer is, I think, tucked low down on the drivers side firewall where it meets the inner fender. I think the wiring plug is held on with a single small bolt. Migh be worth check the plug connection and any grounds.
Like I say, I`m no expert.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pcm, ecm, eec=computer

sounds like you need one.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
bassenator
Trailering
Thanks guys... you support my assumptions.

Check engine light lights but it will not go into self test mode or give any flashes for codes.

From all I've been researching it appears that way (need one). Going to try and locate, pull and tug on wires, clean, plug back in and if that does not work...remove it and get another one for it. hopefully local parts house will have the right one, seems to be about 20 different ones for this engine/tranny combo.

I'll post with with the results!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
Two links that might help the No Codes problem:

E4OD and No Codes

No Codes?

The fuel pump relay is controlled by the PCM. But the pump relay could be stuck in the ON position. So before spending all that time and money on a new PCM, see if you can swap a relay or get a suitable replacement or pull the relay and see if the turn on voltage is always present, that would confirm whether or not the PCM ($$) is the cause.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCM is located on the firewall behind the ebrake pedal. I doubt its the ECM, from my experiances they do not just "go bad" expecially on something as new as a 94

If the fuel pump is turning on and your getting good psi KOEO, check make sure your getting spark. Easy to do w/ a timing light. If your also getting spark, then id check voltage at the injectors, see what you have there. and compare it to spec. I would not just go ahead and replace something like the ECM

Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
bassenator
Trailering
got an ECM from nieghbors truck and it started up immediatly!!It threw enough info to show it has a fault but it started raining and had to give up for the day. I have a new (reman) ECM arriving friday.