Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Antifreeze on bottom of trans dust plate and oilpan!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:35 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Antifreeze on bottom of trans dust plate and oilpan!

I hopped under my truck to check my rear main seal leak and the first thing I noticed was that it appears the rear of my oil pan is leaking too or that's what WAS leaking because oil was coming from above the dust plate. But then with an even closer look I saw a green tint as if their was antifreeze down there and it has to be. Also on my oil pan around my drain plug there was green fluid forming into a drip... Does this mean bad head gaskets? or worse?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pressure test the system, it will show the leak, could just be a freeze plug or old block heater (replaced ALOT of thoes on the chebys).

Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
How do I do that? Go buy a leakdown test kit? My truck barely passed smog ; I was at the max on two tests. Not sure this would have anything to do with it.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go to radiator shop.

they will do it for you, usually for free.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
You need a "Radiator pressure tester" some parts stores rent them. All this tester is is a hand operated plunger that pushes air into your radiator to pressurize the system. Make sure your cooling system is full, then take the cap off of your radiator, and attach the adaptor at the end of the hose of the tester. Then start pumping the handle, the tester will have a guage on it, DO NOT exceed the pressure stated on your radiator cap Usually 15-16 psi.
With the system up to pressure, climb under your truck and follow the stream of coolant back to the source.
If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, or do not want to buy/rent the tester, then take it to a shop and have them do it, but make sure that they show you were the leak is coming from, there are some shady shops out there that will try to sell you an engine rebuild when all you may need is a 5 dollar freeze plug.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Mr. Finch
You need a "Radiator pressure tester" some parts stores rent them. All this tester is is a hand operated plunger that pushes air into your radiator to pressurize the system. Make sure your cooling system is full, then take the cap off of your radiator, and attach the adaptor at the end of the hose of the tester. Then start pumping the handle, the tester will have a guage on it, DO NOT exceed the pressure stated on your radiator cap Usually 15-16 psi.
With the system up to pressure, climb under your truck and follow the stream of coolant back to the source.
If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, or do not want to buy/rent the tester, then take it to a shop and have them do it, but make sure that they show you were the leak is coming from, there are some shady shops out there that will try to sell you an engine rebuild when all you may need is a 5 dollar freeze plug.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
I tell ya what some of those freeze plugs are a bear to get to to replace

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Originally Posted by jr32560
I tell ya what some of those freeze plugs are a bear to get to to replace
True, in my area we have alot of chevys with block heaters that go bad, most the time we replace them with plugs. After a while I finnaly broke down and bought an $80 freeze plug installer, and have to say it was worth every penny.

Most likely causes for a coolant leak In order, radiator hoses, heater hoses, Thermostat gasket, radiator, waterpump, Freeze plug/block heater.
Be glad it's not a chevy otherwise I would tell you (without even looking at it) it is the lower intake, Usually about an $1,000-$1,500 job. (only reason I like chevys, they make us mechanics rich )

Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you choose to try and find it yourself and it is not obvious like a hose or thermostat housing.
Start at the waterpump weep hole and next check the water passage weep hole on either side of the timing case.

The fan can blow coolant a long way back under your truck.

This is just my personal experience with my truck, but may save you some time.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If you choose to try and find it yourself and it is not obvious like a hose or thermostat housing.
Start at the waterpump weep hole and next check the water passage weep hole on either side of the timing case.

The fan can blow coolant a long way back under your truck.

This is just my personal experience with my truck, but may save you some time.
x2 There are lots of other places the coolant can be coming from and running down to that lowest point on the motor, don't resign yourself to it being a freeze plug. Give it a thorough inspection first.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
Alright, thanks for all the great help I will update this post once I find the problem.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Originally Posted by Old93junk
x2 There are lots of other places the coolant can be coming from and running down to that lowest point on the motor, don't resign yourself to it being a freeze plug. Give it a thorough inspection first.
Yes, don't focus on one part, that is why in my 3rd post i listed the most common sources for coolant leaks in order. I only brought up freeze plugs as an example of a cheap fix, instead of an expensive head gasket.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
Wouldn't I know If it was a head-gasket? Wouldn't I notice coolant in my oil?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not always.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
gthbryce
Senior User
I believe it was my overflow on my radiator, because I just replaced the hose and I'm assuming it wasn't tight enough and needed a clamp.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a close look at your timing cover and water pump. Mine had a leak on the top of the timing cover and it was running down and dripping onto the trany cooler lines. It then ran back and left drops on the oil pan.

Quick Reply: Green Antifreeze on bottom of trans dust plate and oilpan!