Sponsored by:

Bushwacker Pocket style Fender Flares are on - almost - need some input, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Andershoberg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushwacker Pocket style Fender Flares are on - almost - need some input, please

So I installed the 2 1/2 inch wide, 4 inch tall Bushwacker pocket styles. Since they don't exist for our X, I bought F-250 to modify instead...

I have two issues: Rear doors, and my exhaust tail pipe.

Here are two photos:

Doors:

I was just going to cut the line for the doors, leave the loose piece permanently mounted to the door, some plastic piece to support the plastic that is now exposed to the wind.

Exhaust:

I planned to cut around it, contour my oval exhaust port about 1/4" underlap or so. Reface the open area with some flexible plastic. Unfortunately i cannot move my exhaust backwards, since the rear AC sits right there...

Ideas anyone?

(yes, on stands, I am chasing some vibrations...)

Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Not sure what input you're looking for, but from the pics it looks awesome! Assuming your fab skills are up to it, sounds like a good plan. I'm curious about the exhaust exiting through the body panel--are you running a pipe out of the hole, or is that the exhaust exit itself? My only concern would be heat and how it might effect the plastic of your flares?

Good looking truck! Haven't seen pics of it before.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:11 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Nice paint scheme.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Andershoberg
Junior User
Originally Posted by Husky44
Not sure what input you're looking for, but from the pics it looks awesome! Assuming your fab skills are up to it, sounds like a good plan. I'm curious about the exhaust exiting through the body panel--are you running a pipe out of the hole, or is that the exhaust exit itself? My only concern would be heat and how it might effect the plastic of your flares?

Good looking truck! Haven't seen pics of it before.

Thanks for you input. My fab skills are not good, so I don't know. The exhaust is roughly 2 1/2 inches, entering a flange that is mounted to the body. The flange is 6 by 11 and 4 inches deep. No heat issue so far, but to your point, I don't want to move it further rearward with the risk of getting to close to rear AC due to potential heat issues.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Originally Posted by Andershoberg
Thanks for you input. My fab skills are not good, so I don't know. The exhaust is roughly 2 1/2 inches, entering a flange that is mounted to the body. The flange is 6 by 11 and 4 inches deep. No heat issue so far, but to your point, I don't want to move it further rearward with the risk of getting to close to rear AC due to potential heat issues.
So the flange visible in the pic is the actual exit for the exhaust--you're not running a pipe out that hole; that is the hole?

If so, how long have you been running like that? I'd think if you have had it that way for any length of time, you're probably safe, if your paint isn't damaged from heat.

Come to think of it, a lot of the body kits you see for side exhausts on Mustangs would put an exhaust pipe in similar proximity to a polyurethane or other similar plastic material, and I don't think they have any problems, so you're probably good.

Your plan for your doors sounds good, especially if your fab skills leave a little to be desired (as mine do) because by leaving the piece on the door, you'll effectively be hiding your fab work when the doors aren't open. I'd do those first, to get some practice, before you do the exhaust cut-out, which will be visible.

I like it! Be sure and post "after" pics!

Old 11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
11secdsm
Senior User
I think I like them! Can you post a pic looking down the side of the truck? I'd like to see how they look sticking out. Good job overall on the Ex.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
Looks good so far. I saw the bushwackers on an ex in a diesel world mag. one time. If I remember right the ex was white. Not that it makes a difference.

In that photo the ex had the rears cut and fabbed up nicely. If I can find it, I will post some pictures.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Paul T
More Turbo
You need to get the plastic strip off an XLT to hide the holes in the bottom of the rear fenders to finish it off.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
11secdsm
Senior User
Found this one...are these the same as yours?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Andershoberg
Junior User
Originally Posted by 11secdsm
I think I like them! Can you post a pic looking down the side of the truck? I'd like to see how they look sticking out. Good job overall on the Ex.

Tough with my cell camera. They added 5" or so to the width, which coincides with the ront and rear bumber width...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Andershoberg
Junior User
Originally Posted by Paul T
You need to get the plastic strip off an XLT to hide the holes in the bottom of the rear fenders to finish it off.

You are right, just haven't put them on yet...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Andershoberg
Junior User
Originally Posted by 11secdsm
Found this one...are these the same as yours?

I think those are cut-outs, but the principal is the same. Thanks for the photo.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Toad75
New User
Excursion pocket-style fender flares

I've been looking over your Ex and was checking to see if you ever finished the pocket-style fender flares? I know the rears set is the issue. My mod skills may be up to it, but I wanted to check on how yours ended up. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That's a great looking color scheme on your EX. The flares look like they'll work well. I'm looking at the same for mine.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
02-7.3D
Freshman User
I love that bumper, who makes it?

Quick Reply: Bushwacker Pocket style Fender Flares are on - almost - need some input, please