6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 still using coolant after EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 still using coolant after EGR delete

Using coolant after EGR delete kit
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->My 2003 6.0 F350 SUPERCAB was using coolant and i had a EGR delete kit installed and an oil cooler changed out. I am still using coolant and unable to determine why. I had been told it was a head gasket but the mechanic i took it to said that the head gasket usually isnt the problem and this is when i had the delete kit installed. There is no other indication as to where or why the coolant is being used. No water in the oil and no abnormal smoke. I have noticed the coolant is used faster when i am pulling a load. I havent gone back to the mechanic to inspect the problem yet. I wanted to get some info. from this forum first.
I have a hyper tec programer, 4" turbo back exhaust with bull horn stacks. The truck has 65,000 miles.
Any info would be appreciated.
<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a UV lamp and start looking for signs of a leak ---

Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
did your mechanic hook a pvt to the cooling system or is he just guessing...
towing with a tune thats not ment to tow with is well maybe not a good idea....
maybe venting out the degas tank still.
Find a tech that doesnt guess at what is and what is not but really has the tools to test the cooling system. everything from fan vdf duty cycle to max cooling system pressure loaded and under wot condition's

Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Good advice! The tuning for towing is something i havent considered. I am getting rusted water from the degas cap all over the tank. No other signs of a problem that i can notice. I changed the degas cap and waiting to see if that made a difference. If the cap doesnt help i assume that i need to do the pvt test for a head gasket issue.
Thanks!!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Get a UV lamp and start looking for signs of a leak ---
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

you also need to get your hands on some vc9 and flush the crap out of the cooling system. if you have rust its becasue of iron deposits and a bad ph balance issue.

Next thing that scares me is if you did an egr cooler delete kit why you didnt replace the oil cooler element.
A restriction in that oil cooler will cause you to dump coolant and will kill the headgaskets.
Also the vc9 will help reduce the chemical fallout in you cooling system.
Bit all time and money is going to be wasted unless you look in to the ect/eot split and cure that issue which will most like be off do to be the rust in the cooling system I would almost bet money on that statement.
also you may want to find a tech that knows a little something something because the guy working on should know all this stuff. its pretty basic imo however ymmv

Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Hey cheezit, Good info.. The oil cooler got replaced also. I just didnt mention that huge detail, sorry.. I replaced the cap and still "pucking" . I did a re-program also thinking it may help.. The flush is for sure the next step.. Im hoping i dont have a blown head gasket.!! Not much on the abbreviations tho.. ect/eot. I have seen these on a thread about the gauges which i need more info. on as well.. Im a Commercial and Industrial Electrician learning diesel. Seems i need a shop manual..
Any Trade related issues are very much wecomed.
Thanks Again!!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ECT = engine coolant temp.
EOT = engine oil temp.
Should not have more than a 15 degree differential between the two. If more than 15, all the crap in the cooling system has possibly plugged the new oil cooler. They have very small passages.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

your a Commercial and Industrial Electrician learning....

do you have a fluke and pv350. thats all you should need to diag headgaskets.
just tie the pv350 in line with the dsgas tank. use the hose that goes form the intake to the bottle and drive it. if system pressure goes beyond cap holding pressure then you have a headgasket issue. assuming you have good eot/ect, no leaks and a good cap.
and what 69cj said is very true.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Originally Posted by 69cj
ECT = engine coolant temp.
EOT = engine oil temp.
Should not have more than a 15 degree differential between the two. If more than 15, all the crap in the cooling system has possibly plugged the new oil cooler. They have very small passages.
Thanks 69cj.. That is a very nice car.!!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Originally Posted by cheezit
your a Commercial and Industrial Electrician learning....

do you have a fluke and pv350. thats all you should need to diag headgaskets.
just tie the pv350 in line with the dsgas tank. use the hose that goes form the intake to the bottle and drive it. if system pressure goes beyond cap holding pressure then you have a headgasket issue. assuming you have good eot/ect, no leaks and a good cap.
and what 69cj said is very true.
Great.. I had no idea how to check (or if there was a way) the head gaskets. Seems the mechanic would have done this. I dont have the attachment for the fluke but damn sure know how to get one. Gonna flush the coolant system first to be sure the devices are all clear. You said use vc9 to flush system. Thanks again..

Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Takes 2 qts. @ $26.50 per qt. Flush, then run system w/VC-9 for 1 hour or take a 20 mile drive. Do this w/t-stat in to get cleaner up to temp. Drain and flush 4 to 5 times with t-stat out. You need to get all of the VC-9 out of the system. Then re-install t-stat w/new O ring and fill with a 50/50 mix. You will still have water in the system so put in 50% of system capacity full strength premium gold or GO-5 coolant and top off with distilled water. I am telling you this because there are no instructions on the bottle.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

hey if you have a hool up for that pv350 let me know I could use one of my own.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 PM
powerstroke956
New User
im having the same problem...how do i check the EOT and ECT????

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Bad Boy 4 u
New User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Takes 2 qts. @ $26.50 per qt. Flush, then run system w/VC-9 for 1 hour or take a 20 mile drive. Do this w/t-stat in to get cleaner up to temp. Drain and flush 4 to 5 times with t-stat out. You need to get all of the VC-9 out of the system. Then re-install t-stat w/new O ring and fill with a 50/50 mix. You will still have water in the system so put in 50% of system capacity full strength premium gold or GO-5 coolant and top off with distilled water. I am telling you this because there are no instructions on the bottle.
Sounds like a good fix.. I will do this myself for sure. Cant trust anyone else to properly do this.
Thanks.!!

Quick Reply: 6.0 still using coolant after EGR delete