Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Looking for opinion's on a 5.0 to 5.8 swap

Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
ginness72
New User
ginness72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking for opinion's on a 5.0 to 5.8 swap

hello guys, I am new and need to start looking for info on this.
I am also a new ford guy over all. I bought an older f150 and fell in love with the truck. So i started to restore it. I pulled the bed and fixed all the rusty parts of the frame,new gas tank,new leaf spring mounts,shock mounts,etc.
My new thing is i would like to change the 5.0 motor to the 5.8 and not being to familiar with ford is this a job i want to get into.
I have talked to some people and no one has a good answer. i have been told to just build the one i have. the reason for my change is, i would like to do some towing in the summer with this truck. I race bikes in the summer and will be towing all my gear to the track and would like to have the power of the 351 to do it.
My 302 is smoking in the 89 f150 with a 5 speed . The donor truck is an 91 f 250 with 5.8 4x2 auto. I have been told i will have alot of problems doing this.
So i turn to you guys for a straight answer on what to do. thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM
awkoop
Freshman User
awkoop is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would build up your motor and trans out of the 5.0 thats what I did to mine and Im glad I didnt do the 5.8. I wouldnt hesitate to pull a trailer with my truck for any amount of distance.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
MAS96F150
Senior User
MAS96F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
two problems with it i see are that the 5 speed you have assuming its the stock mazda wont hold the 351 for long. they are pretty weak. and the 302 computer in your truck will run the 351 but wont have alot of power because of the displacment difference. or you could just transfer the motor trans wiring harness and computer from the parts truck to yours. i dont know if the computers will just swap, and if so you will have check engine lights because it will be looking for an automatic trans. at least my 96 did.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Linemo
Senior User
Linemo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would go with the 351 I have had both and I prefer the 351 {my current has 312,00 mi.} they are a better choice for pulling !Both of your truck are from the 87-91 body style so you should have everything to swap it would be more work but I would prefer the auto trans if your two trucks are the same body length you should have all the necessary part ie:drive shaft crossmembers tranny lines cooler etc!!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
ginness72
New User
thanks guys , I have been doing some reading on hear of older post's and have found that this is not going to be an easy job.
I should of just bought an f250 but it is what it is ...
I think i am going to look for a better donor truck thats got alot of rot or some problems body wise.
I did find the things about my five speed not being good for the 5.8
the thing that sucks is that i have put alot of time and effort into this one. I didn't realize that the swap was going to be so involved.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 PM
ginness72
New User
I do have one ? .
Are the 302 5.0 motor and the 351 5.8 motor the same block ??? (i.e) same length,size, motor mount in the same place.
I did find out about the fly wheel issue that would have to be changed,and the 5 speed not lasting long but in a crunch could i use the Mazda tranny for the time being until i was able to change the drive line.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 AM
EPNCSU2006
Post Fiend
EPNCSU2006 has a great reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a great reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a great reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a great reputation on FTE.
They are not the same block, but length is the same and the mounting locations are the same. The 351 is taller and wider than the 302 and has bigger diameter main bearings.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 AM
jr32560
Post Fiend
jr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud ofjr32560 has much to be proud of
the computers are not the same the bolt patterns for trans are the same-the exhaust pipes are slightly different -motor should bolt into frame okay-swap puter and manifolds
wiring should be the same may have to change firing order of motor
I'm gonna do the same type swap in a 87-88-from what I've been told not to big of a deal
find conanski and ask him -or subford-they will give ya a correct and definite answer

Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM
BCWildman
New User
BCWildman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just put a '91 5.8 into a '89 5.0 truck.
Had a bitch of a time getting it to run properly, eventually pulled the heads, everything looked fine.
My temp and oil press guages no work so while troubleshooting that I realized that the wire locations are different in the main harness plug-ins under the brake booster. I swapped in the original motor harness and the thing runs like a champ. If I had of done that first it would have been an absolutely simple trouble free swap rather than 6 weeks of frustration.
The advice is to get the right computer but only 15% of f150 had the 5.8 and even fewer would come with a std trans - pretty rare.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
This is a pretty straightforward swap if you have a complete 5.8 EFI truck motor from a donor and don't make the mistake BCWildman did and change the wiring harness. The 5.0 harness plugs right into a 5.8.. everything is in the same location, and firing order doesn't matter as far as the EFI system is concerned. As mentioned already the engine balance is different between these motors so the correct flywheel has to be used, and the 5.8 block is wider so some exhaust mods are necessary, but otherwise it bolts right up. A stock 5.8 won't instantly break a Mazda 5-speed either, it will wear out faster but it will hold up fine for everything short of brake stands and burnouts. If that F250 auto truck has a C6 3 speed then you can use that computer in your truck.. the C6 is not computer controlled so the computer is the same as a 5-speed version.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:52 PM
ginness72
New User
Hey wildman , thanks for the info much appreciated... i have run into a speed bump.
I have come across another motor for my truck , guy has just the motor.
It's out of a 94 F-150 , 5.0 motor. GREAT PRICE so i am switching gears and going to do just the motor swap for now until spring and take my time looking for the prime donor truck.
I am a where of that the different year trucks are not the same as far as the motor is.

I guess the firing order is not the same. Can you guys tell me what the deal is with this?? The guy is going to check if he has the putter but his truck was an auto... ????

Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
ginness72
New User
Hey Conanski , cool thanks for the info ... thats awesome info that makes a big difference in my planning. so i will check out the tranny info and pick up both the truck and the 5.0 motor from the other guy as well..
The price is to good on the motor not to grab it. Even if i dont use it someone i know could put it to good use.....
If i grab the vin off that other truck and run the ## witch one will tell me the tranny info??

Old 11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Look at the decal on the drivers door pillar for the trans code.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Mr. Finch
Elder User
Mr. Finch is starting off with a positive reputation.
from my understanding the c6 and the e40d were the 2 main auto trannys used in thoes trucks, and if this is the case, then all you have to do to find out wich one it is is to look for an od on/off button. on the older trucks it is located on the dash just to the right of the steering column, on the 92 and up models it is on the end of the shifter.
If the donor truck has an od on/off, then it is the e4od, if not it should be the c6.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM
ginness72
New User
Sweet .... thanks guys . I am going to check it out tomorrow( sun ) and will give an update after i figure out what the deal is.
I was discouraged at first,after finding out a bunch of stuff in the beginning but now i am getting stoked if i can throw in the 5.8 without a ton of problems.... thanks again , i will keep you guy's up to date...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for opinion's on a 5.0 to 5.8 swap

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.