1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

need help on 460 swaps in a 56 f100 and C6 trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help on 460 swaps in a 56 f100 and C6 trans

Ive recently been trying to get my 460 and c6 trans to fit in my 56 f100. I have a mustang II crossmember installed and I am using the trim to fit motor mounts from No limit customs. I have a rear sump pan that came with my engine and it hits the crossmember. My question is has anyone else had this problem? I got a front sump pan on the way but i just want to know if i am waisting my time even trying the front sump or should i just mod the rear sump to fit with the crossmember. Thanks for any help.
Mike

Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
it will fit... I promise. How close are the rear of the heads to the firewall ???

my heads are 1.5" from the firewall and we did 'releave' the crossmember to make the clearance needed... you might consider raising the block some to give you clearance, but it will probably require some firewall work..

notch in crossmember

head clearance

Sam Detweiler has a running 460 in his '56... he should be along shortly with some more in...

later
John

Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
I wanted the heads about a inch or so from the fire wall but the pan was keeping it from dropping into place to bolt up the trans i really want to stay away from cutting the fire wall unless there is no other way. I do like your idea with the cross member funny thing is i just got the front sump pan in the mail today right after i posted this so ill see what happends with that. Ive seen someone cut a portion of the sump out and just weld it in the opposite way to make clearance so i got a couple options. Thanks again for the reply.
Mike

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine went in with no firewall mods. I am using a mid-sump pan and did relieve the crossmember like John suggested. I also used a raised tranny cover from mid-fifty.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:48 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Update on the front sump oil pan i recently got. Well the engine fits a hole lot better and i can get it level and the trans is nice and low so i dont have to modify the cover but the problem now is the front sump is in the way of the rack and pinion and another thing the motor mounts i got from No limit engineering would be blocking the steering shaft sucks for me right now.

B/B ford would it be possible for you to get me some detailed pictures of your setup to help me out?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nordvik72
Update on the front sump oil pan i recently got. Well the engine fits a hole lot better and i can get it level and the trans is nice and low so i dont have to modify the cover but the problem now is the front sump is in the way of the rack and pinion and another thing the motor mounts i got from No limit engineering would be blocking the steering shaft sucks for me right now.

B/B ford would it be possible for you to get me some detailed pictures of your setup to help me out?
I don't see any way you are going to make that front sump work with a rack and pinion, you will have to custom make one or use the mid(rear)sump pan.

I used motor mount brackets from T.C.I. they weld onto the verticle portion of the crossmember. This is probably the best pic I have. I hope it helps.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:40 AM
jm ray
Senior User
i am trying to do the same thing bbf/mII. wow now i see how much cheaper a sbc would have been. but then i would not care to hear it run.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 AM
nordvik72
Senior User
Originally Posted by B/B ford
I don't see any way you are going to make that front sump work with a rack and pinion, you will have to custom make one or use the mid(rear)sump pan.

I used motor mount brackets from T.C.I. they weld onto the verticle portion of the crossmember. This is probably the best pic I have. I hope it helps.

Cool thanks allot for the pic and ill go to TCI's website and check out there motor mounts.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 11-26-2009, 05:21 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
I have a rear sump pan not sure if this one is any different.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:26 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Looky what i found I think this will let me postition the engine far enough forward to mount the steering rack and use the front sump pan.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
the motor mounts i got from No limit engineering would be blocking the steering shaft sucks for me right now.
If the mount is a T shaped steel unit, you can drill a hole in the lower support just big enough for the steering shaft to go through, if that is what's blocking you.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:59 AM
nordvik72
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
If the mount is a T shaped steel unit, you can drill a hole in the lower support just big enough for the steering shaft to go through, if that is what's blocking you.
Like this?
TRIM TO FIT MOTOR MOUNTS - FORD 429/ 460 BIG BLOCK-No Limit Engineering
Because thats what i have.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I was thinking of ones made from plate steel, one piece vertical and one horizontal, with the round mount bolt tube at the end, similar to what you have. Yours are made from square tubing, which is stronger. You can do the same thing with them, though. Mount the engine where it needs to be, and if necessary, cut a hole or notch, whatever you need to do, and weld in round tubing as a sleeve for a reinforcement for the steering shaft to go through.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
nordvik72
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I was thinking of ones made from plate steel, one piece vertical and one horizontal, with the round mount bolt tube at the end, similar to what you have. Yours are made from square tubing, which is stronger. You can do the same thing with them, though. Mount the engine where it needs to be, and if necessary, cut a hole or notch, whatever you need to do, and weld in round tubing as a sleeve for a reinforcement for the steering shaft to go through.
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks 52 Merc

Quick Reply: need help on 460 swaps in a 56 f100 and C6 trans