2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"engine fail safe mode" dies today, starts right up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't put any object (rag, brush) into the throttle body/throttle plate area - where did you get that idea? There are spray cleaners designed for that purpose. Myself, I don't have to clean the throttle body or fuel system on any of my vehicles because I use a fuel stabilizer/cleaner all the time. We have mandated use of E10 here which is what got me started on it, and it has been working for me for over seven years.
Also if you clean your Mass/Air sensor, don't touch it with any object. Use only the approved spray cleaner specifically for that part.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
akruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply.
The idea to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor to hopefully cure the "fail safe" engine shutdown problem, came from reading many other threads in this forum. One particularly well written post, included detailed instructions, which I followed, and it included using throttle body specific cleaner and a lint-free towel to physically clean the bore of the throttle body.
I know not to touch the MAF sensor wire filaments and used the specific MAF sensor cleaner to spray it down. No towel or anything else touched that sensor.
As for fuel system cleaners, you are mislead about those keeping your throttle body clean. The throttle body (and MAF sensor) on these vehicles are dry, meaning they pass air only, not fuel or a fuel mixture. So, the cleaners that you use in the fuel tank will never come close to the throttle body. Those cleaners will likely aid in keeping the fuel injectors and intake valves clean(er) only.
Varnish type deposits accumulate in the throttle body bore on these vehicles and most others with dry throttle bodies. As a result, they have to be cleaned occasionally to remove the varnish that accumulates and interferes with the throttle blade operation in the throttle bore.
Does anyone out there have any ideas on my original question about idle quality?
Thank you, Andy

Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Can you guys PLEASE explain to me how better fuel or any injector cleaner has any effect on a throttle body , since it only regulates AIR and no fuel ever goes through it or touches it ?

Old 03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
twfish
Senior User
Originally Posted by akruck
Thank you for the reply.
The idea to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor to hopefully cure the "fail safe" engine shutdown problem, came from reading many other threads in this forum. One particularly well written post, included detailed instructions, which I followed, and it included using throttle body specific cleaner and a lint-free towel to physically clean the bore of the throttle body.
I know not to touch the MAF sensor wire filaments and used the specific MAF sensor cleaner to spray it down. No towel or anything else touched that sensor.
As for fuel system cleaners, you are mislead about those keeping your throttle body clean. The throttle body (and MAF sensor) on these vehicles are dry, meaning they pass air only, not fuel or a fuel mixture. So, the cleaners that you use in the fuel tank will never come close to the throttle body. Those cleaners will likely aid in keeping the fuel injectors and intake valves clean(er) only.
Varnish type deposits accumulate in the throttle body bore on these vehicles and most others with dry throttle bodies. As a result, they have to be cleaned occasionally to remove the varnish that accumulates and interferes with the throttle blade operation in the throttle bore.
Does anyone out there have any ideas on my original question about idle quality?
Thank you, Andy
Its your throttle body, you need new sensors. I'd go ahead and rebuild it eith new sensors its what I did. Or just replace you tps if your in a pinch and should help

Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM
akruck
New User
Of course, fuel supplements will not clean or keep clean the throttle body or MAF senser on these vehicles, because you are right; they are dry and meter the AIR ONLY into the operating engine.

Thank you for the advice about installing new sensors on my existing throttle body. I have read on one of the posts that the screws on the TPS sensor are installed with lock-tite and need to be heated prior to remove them without shearing them off. Is that true from your experience? Also, is this approach more economical than replacing the throttle body with each of the sensors installed already? I had found a remanufactured unit with the TPS sensor and throttle motor installed for about $170.00. Local Ford dealer suggested $370.00 plus $20.00 for the gasket. Any advice in consideration of considering a remanufactured unit as opposed to a new Ford unit?
Thank you, Andy

Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Of course, fuel supplements will not clean or keep clean the throttle body or MAF senser on these vehicles, because you are right; they are dry and meter the AIR ONLY into the operating engine.

Thank you for the advice about installing new sensors on my existing throttle body. I have read on one of the posts that the screws on the TPS sensor are installed with lock-tite and need to be heated prior to remove them without shearing them off. Is that true from your experience? Also, is this approach more economical than replacing the throttle body with each of the sensors installed already? I had found a remanufactured unit with the TPS sensor and throttle motor installed for about $170.00. Local Ford dealer suggested $370.00 plus $20.00 for the gasket. Any advice in consideration of considering a remanufactured unit as opposed to a new Ford unit?
Thank you, Andy
. I have found brand new Ford throttle bodies on eBay for about $200. I think I would go with that

Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ojai150
. I have found brand new Ford throttle bodies on eBay for about $200. I think I would go with that
Also that gasket is just a silicone O ring that I reuse with a little dialectic grease on it. Can't see any reason to replace it

Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
akruck
New User
Originally Posted by ojai150
Hi Sako, I did not know that the TB plate would open without the engine running, do you know if the charge motion motor opens the runners when the TB is wide open and not running?
Where is the "charge motion motor" located?
Can a fault with that motor cause severe hesitation and after-fire and mis-fires when the engine is floored from 25 to 45 mph? My 2006 Navigator has this problem and it seems as if the engine "bogs down" like old carbureted engines used to do when they were over carbureted or not in tune.
It feels as if the engine is overly rich and can't get enough air to run up the rpm.

Thanks for the advice. Andy

Old 03-25-2014, 01:38 PM
twfish
Senior User
Im not sure about heating up. I guess lock tight doesnt usually really stop me but know the limits I guess. And thats preference, id do the sensor because it would save money

Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I'll pose you this question; if combustion by-products cannot reach the throttle body, how does it get carboned-up? The answer is, they do. My combustion by-products carry with them residues from the additive, particularly on cold-engine or other 'rich' conditions, like WOT. This is how a fuel additive can assist in keeping the throttle body clean. In this way it would also be beneficial in keeping the intake valve clean on GDI engines, which usually have a problem with carbon build-up. So, the raw fuel does not have to have contact with all parts of the engine in order for the cleaner in the additive to have residual cleaning effects on those parts/areas. The EGR circuit, the PCV circuit and the exhaust system along with various sensors also are affected.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Where is the "charge motion motor" located?
Can a fault with that motor cause severe hesitation and after-fire and mis-fires when the engine is floored from 25 to 45 mph? My 2006 Navigator has this problem and it seems as if the engine "bogs down" like old carbureted engines used to do when they were over carbureted or not in tune.
It feels as if the engine is overly rich and can't get enough air to run up the rpm.

Thanks for the advice. Andy
. The charge motion motor is bolted to the back of the intake manifold and operates 2 rods that open runner flaps in the intake on each side during wide open throttle it's hard to even see when looking back there. I have pictures of it in one of my threads. Do a search under my name

Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM
MJLSavannah
New User
Unable to clear fail safe code

I recently added a cold air intake and throttle body spacer to my 2008 5.4 and now can't clear the fail safe mode. Any hints? very frustrating now that my effort to improve efficiency has resulted in a marked reduction in performance and economy...

Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MJLSavannah
I recently added a cold air intake and throttle body spacer to my 2008 5.4 and now can't clear the fail safe mode. Any hints? very frustrating now that my effort to improve efficiency has resulted in a marked reduction in performance and economy...
Where did you get the idea for the spacer ? I would return it .

Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Brendan Hebert
New User
hello i am having similar problems my 2005 f150 is stuck in fail safe mode but i have 8 diffrent codes that pop up p0010,p0020,p0102,p0135,p0155,p0443,p0446,p2106

i have tried changing the throttle body and the sensor and i am still having the same problems, i looked at the 02 sensors the wires look good still. if anyone had any information it would be greatly apprciated. thanks in advance!

the motor is a 5.4L 3Valve

Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2106
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
The code P0446 is set when the engine computer recognizes a fault or restriction at the vent control part of the Evaporative emission control system (EVAP).
The evaporative control (EVAP) system collects raw fuel escaping from the fuel tank. ... The P0443 code is set when the ECM detects a malfunction within the purge control valve or a short in the purge valve circuit. ... Confirm the purge control valve and vent valve are properly
.Code P0155 occurs when the powertrain control module tests the upstream heated oxygen sensor's heater circuit on Bank 2 and detects a short in the circuit or excessive resistance in the heater circuit.
.Code P0135 occurs when the powertrain control module tests the upstream heated oxygen sensor’s heater circuit on Bank 1 and detects a short in the circuit or excessive resistance in the heater circuit. .The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) measures the amount of air entering the engine and the Engine Control Module (ECM) uses the information to determine the proper amount of fuel quantity and ignition timing. Code P0102 sets when the ECM detects a low voltage ...
The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) measures the amount of air entering the engine and the Engine Control Module (ECM) uses the information to determine the proper amount of fuel quantity and ignition timing. Code P0102 sets when the ECM detects a low voltage .
..- Code P0020 is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the mechanical variable valve timing (VVT) between the crankshaft and the bank 2 camshaft is experiencing a variation outside of its proper parameters.

Seems to me your wiring harness is in trouble in engine compartment . Possible rodent damage or burn't wires. You have more than one system out of whack.

Quick Reply: "engine fail safe mode" dies today, starts right up