6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How to Fix Your FICM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM
twboggess
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF, you can retrieve the CODES, it will give you a direction in which to go. If you dont see it as a ficm, what do you see it as? explain yourself. I did not say it is the ficm.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
DIESEL JUICE
New User
Originally Posted by twboggess
Any ASE certified mechanic with an updated scanner can perform code retrieval (check local garage / repair shops), finding a good and honest one is the challenge. two places to check- go to google, type dieselman.com, for a good source of information. google Swamps Diesel performance, ask Dave on the HPOP, they have a section on hooking up a guage to test the HPOP. Google- Ford 6.0 service codes.
Thanks for the info man! I'll check it out!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
IF, you can retrieve the CODES, it will give you a direction in which to go. If you dont see it as a ficm, what do you see it as? explain yourself. I did not say it is the ficm.
I did not say you stated it was the FICM did I ? it was mentioned to be part of the problem but as far as my take

explain= I can't see how a ficm is going to lead to high temps and puking
and while it may have tested low so did his batteries

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
twboggess
Junior User
Puking fluids and high temps useually come from starting fluid, excessive cranking kills the batteries, takes 10 minutes, will also kill the starter, I had to by a new one. Bought it E=Bay, bp electric, nib delivered to my door $100.00.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Well our confusion may be you seem to be talking batteries and I thought he was talking about his motor puking out the degas and running hot

Then one day it fired up and was knocking real bad...like injectors not firing,it would barely pull it self around in 4 low. The temp climbed up real fast and it started pooring coolant out. Never would attempt to fire after that.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
twboggess
Junior User
No! he stated that it was getting hard to start. then he stated that he was using starting fluid. Then it started to run with maybe a miss without power, ran hot and started to puke fluids. Then it would not start at all (did not say when he changed the fuel filters last). then tried to check FICM, ran the batteries low. check post columns 5& 6, this is the posted chain of events

Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
twboggess
Junior User
Knocking is a possible head problem from starting fluid, blew out the head gaskets.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
DIESEL JUICE
New User
No! he stated that it was getting hard to start. then he stated that he was using starting fluid. Then it started to run with maybe a miss without power, ran hot and started to puke fluids. Then it would not start at all (did not say when he changed the fuel filters last). then tried to check FICM, ran the batteries low. check post columns 5& 6, this is the posted chain of events
Everything you say here is good! In other words you understand what i'm saying,the other fellow is not understanding what i'm trying to say (dam computer talk)
How ever,my batteries were not going dead???? all I said was the batteries were out of the truck for quite some time and when I tested it the other day I made sure to sharge them first.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
DIESEL JUICE
New User
I have the ficm all apart but can't see where there is any "cracks or rings" around the solder joints???

i have the 7 bolt ficm (2003 model) and I see there is a little black spots on three of the four (capacitors i think) on the circuit board. Look like they've gotten hot??

I did have 48 volts while not cranking engine but while cranking I had 41 volts and 24v when the glow plugs were cycling. Keep in mind the truck doesn't start so will this make voltage drop because the engine is turning over and drawing power from the starter??

Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
twboggess
Junior User
yes, but not that drastic, batteries need to be fully sharged, posts clean, for an acurate reading

Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
OK ,,I will totally un subscribe from this mess ,, sorry for the confusion

carry on

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
DIESEL JUICE
New User
Used two different brand new batteries to do the test again. With key on I had 48 v,while glow plugs were cycling I had 37 then 32 then 30.As soon as buzz stops,goes back up to 48v. While turning the engine over it went down to 45 then after cranking for a bit longer it went to 46,47v?? Tried the test three times and numbers all droped accordingly. So the fact that it fails the one test is that enough to not make it fire?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
twboggess
Junior User
DJ: Back up to page 5, it is either #74 or #75, this may help.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
DIESEL JUICE
New User
Well I talked with Johnaton at Swamps diesel (what an awsome dude!) and he was very helpfull and we kicked afround a few ideas. Even he thought there was a good chance it was the ficm...but it wasn't...............
Tonight I went and removed a FICM off my buddies 06 6.0l. Put on my truck and same thing. Just turns over and doesn't fire. Put my FICM in his truck and it fired right up. In fact there is less of a delay in starting with my ficm than his original.

So the ficm is ruled out. Now to find a way to scan this thing...Well I think either the engine is really dusted or it's the HPOP system. It also had a intermitent hard start when hot issue so could be the culprit.
I wish these things were easier to work on...12 valve cummins is looking pretty good right now.....

P.S This engine was replaced at about 85,000 miles because the previous owner had a K&N in it and dusted itfrom running up and down the bush roads.
He rep.lced the engine with another that had 60,000miles and always kept the stock filter on it and took it to ford for regular maintenance as well as using synthetic oil. And the turbo fins look just fine so if it was dusted I should see the fins worn away and all shined up shouldn't I?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
twboggess
Junior User
You can hook up guage to test the HPOP it will give you an indication of pressure, and I would do a compression check. Swamps has information on how to do these things.

Quick Reply: How to Fix Your FICM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!