7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, finally got some decent weather for crawling under the truck and getting this filter kit installed. Here are some pics as promised:

The dual filters increase oil capacity to 7 quarts. Mounting them under the radiator behind the front bumper will hopefully help cooling. I used some hi-temp epoxy on the hose fittings, it will cure overnight before starting up tomorrow for a leak test.

Now to drive the truck for awhile and see if this fixed the oil/coolant issue.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Well I know it's a bit too soon to tell, but after driving about 120 miles today the oil level remained exactly at the full mark - nice and clean with no droplets on the dipstick and no sign of oil in the coolant. So far so good.

No leaks on the dual filter kit either... and no blown hoses (keeping fingers crossed!).

Just wanted to thank F350JOHN once again for this thread, I'm sure I'm not the only one to benefit from the info here... and thanks to 85lebaront2 for answering my dumb questions!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. The one that bites you in the *** later.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm, this could help a new guy here!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
Final update - after putting almost 1000 miles on the truck since the dual filter kit installation, the oil remains at the full mark with no moisture on the dipstick. There is no sign of oil in the coolant either. Looks like it's fixed!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
I am doing a saginaw pump conversion, pulled the pump and went "WTF is that!" Thank god for this thread. Just happen to have a remote filter adapter in my pile of misc parts!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
I went a different direction. After considerable head scratching I made a manifold to replace the heat exchanger and ran the lines straight out the front.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Very interesting... from what I'm seeing in your pics, with that manifold you really don't have to use the remote filter kit at all, do you? You could just spin on a new filter instead, correct? Or am I just looking at it wrong...

Btw, an update on my dual filter kit - no leaks, no blown hoses, and the oil/coolant problem is all fixed. This is great news, I bought this truck very cheap on the assumption it had a blown head gasket. Thanks to this thread I was able to fix it for under $50!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CircleRat
Very interesting... from what I'm seeing in your pics, with that manifold you really don't have to use the remote filter kit at all, do you? You could just spin on a new filter instead, correct? Or am I just looking at it wrong...

Btw, an update on my dual filter kit - no leaks, no blown hoses, and the oil/coolant problem is all fixed. This is great news, I bought this truck very cheap on the assumption it had a blown head gasket. Thanks to this thread I was able to fix it for under $50!
Yes, you could but the lower hose might be a challenge. We are going to bend steel lines and connect with straight ends. Those will be easy to carry spares in the truck. Congrats on your cheap repair!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Nixed the steel radiator lines. Could not put something together without spending a week. I can't understand why the truck design is so half-a$$ed. The Ford designers had all the resources and instead of tidy well thought out packaging they Rube Goldberged everything. The non oil cooler hose comes with a plastic sleeve because they know it is going to be stuffed into the steering box; WHY? All the radiator lines are 1-3/4 but the water pump outlet is 2-1/8, ??
I know the 7.5 is a large engine but there surely could have been some smarter solutions made in the design process. (former design engineer rant!)

BTW, Love the saginaw pump, so quiet, so strong.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpm4x4
ok I am thinking about taking this setup off, why not use Ford Racing M-6880-A50 -
So I want to ditch the oil cooler too, but I'm not crazy about having hoses hanging under my truck. (I have visions of a hose getting snagged while out hunting etc) I also don't wanna deal with the hassle of having custom hoses made up. (and the cost)

So, thinking about the above mentioned adapter... Anyone used it? Thoughts on it?

Worst case, I might go with the kit from Summit, and use the hose/clamps that come with it. Although after having a hose clamp on my upper rad hose rattle its way loose and blow off on me (right as I pulled in the driveway thankfully) It doesn't really give me a warm fuzzy feeling having the same idea on my oil system.

The old 460 still has a lot of life in her, and I'd hate for her to see an early death because a hose popped off of an "upgrade".

Maybe some of you can chime in...

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
CircleRat
Junior User
At first I was worried as hell that a hose would pop off and pump all the oil out as I was driving, burning up my engine before I realized it. I kept a real close eye on my oil pressure gauge and carried spare oil, hose clamps and extra hose just in case.

But now that I've been driving it for months and put a few thousand miles on without the slights leak, I'm not worried so much. When I installed the kit, I applied some Loctite 2-part clear epoxy inside the hose and on the fitting before pushing the hose on and tightening the clamp on each fitting. Then I waited overnight to make sure it all dried real good before putting the oil in and firing it up. Maybe that made the difference, I dunno. I still plan on getting some braided hoses with proper pressure fittings made up for it eventually.

I'm retired on a fixed income and at the time I purchased the remote dual filter kit I was low on funds, and the kit was half the cost ($40 for the kit vs $80+ for the adapter). I also figured two filters would increase the oil capacity and help cool the oil better, and I think it has.
But to be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Ford Racing adapter instead when I rebuild the 460 in my '97 Dually this summer, just for the peace of mind. I'll be towing a 5th wheel across country and not having to worry about a hose blowing on the road is worth the extra money.

So I guess my humble advice would be this - if you're going to be towing a lot and you can afford the FR adapter, then go with it. If not, the remote kit should be okay especially if you use some epoxy like I did. You can always get some braided lines made up later and be worry free.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 AM
carver94f350
Senior User
Circle Rat I know this was a while ago you did this, but I'm wondering since I have the truck up on blocks now doing headers etc, if you got this kit and that's all you needed or did you have to get the adapter to remove the coolant box, etc.

Can you help me with understanding this? I'm very interested in doing this mod.

Thanks everyone for your experiences, it's been a good read.

My other question is, does the dual oil filter give much benefit? In other words what are the positives vs a single filter? My truck isn't a daily driver, but I drive it more during the summer, and I do tow a travel trailer on occasion during the summer. We're planning on buying one in the next year or so, and I want to make sure I'm all up to snuff when that happens. Y'all have me scared now about this cooler thing breaking.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 AM
CircleRat
Junior User
Carver, to do this conversion I used three components;

1. One oil filter insert Ford PN# F1AZ-6890-B from the dealership

2. One lower radiator hose for a '90 351W Dayco PN# 71040 from Autozone

3. One remote dual filter kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...60/submodel/xl

For #3 you can substitute either the single filter kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...-size/7-5l-460

Or the Ford Racing filter adapter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...-A50/?rtype=10

I'm not sure how much benefit one gets from using a dual filter kit, my thinking was that two filters would increase my oil capacity (which it did by 1.5 qt.) and help cool the oil better by mounting them up front under the bumper (which it seems to do a little, by what my temp gauge reads). Whether two filters keep the oil cleaner longer I have no way of telling, but it makes sense to me that it would.
The drawback is I have to buy two filters and an extra two quarts of oil every time I do an oil/filter change.

Like I said, if you have the funds to buy the Ford Racing adapter it does relieve the worry of a hose blowing, and it should be fine if you're not working the truck too hard IMO. But keep in mind, when you eliminate the factory oil cooler/heat exchanger you are removing the unit which is designed to cool the oil... so by using the dual filter kit I hoped to compensate for that loss. It seems to have worked.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One item, if you check, I do know that the older lower hose for either the 1988-89 external oil cooler or the 1983-87 carbureted hose fits at least up through the 1991 radiator and may fit all the way up through 1997. This hose has a protective sleeve at the bend where it almost rubs the steering box.

The Ford racing adapter does look a lot better built than the one that the 1983-87 engines used.

Quick Reply: 7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure