7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got real lucky, I scored an air to oil cooler a number of years ago from a 370ci F750. Not long ago I was at the Virginia Beach Pick and Pull and found a 1997 F350 crew cab with the frame cut off just ahead of the rear springs. Someone had started to install an 88 or early 89 engine in it and given up. It had the Ford remote oil cooler adapter on it. That is what is going on mine later.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
austinlibke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you get the new threaded insert into the block? or even back out of the block, i would think that you would use a jam nut setup somehow?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

My 86 already has the insert, Ford used a dummy oil cooler adapter (no internal passages except for the filter part) to turn the filter forward. The other two blocks I have, 1990 and 1994 have the inserts in them also. Both of those had the water to oil coolers.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
mustangman
Senior User
Originally Posted by austinlibke
how do you get the new threaded insert into the block? or even back out of the block, i would think that you would use a jam nut setup somehow?
I picked up the insert from the ford dealer today, was about ten dolllars,it just has a large allen hole in the middle, use an allen wrench to get it on, i ordered the hayden291 kit from ebay yesterday,not sure what hoses to use yet, i wonder if heater hoses hold up or start to soften with the oil

Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Don't use heater hose, first it won't handle the pressure and second the oil will soften it.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
mustangman
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Don't use heater hose, first it won't handle the pressure and second the oil will soften it.
thanks I'll stop by a semi truck shop and see if they can make them, they made me a high pressure powersteering line years back hope they are still in business,,just found some 1/2 hose made by gates in O-rielys for transmision oil 400psi, should work?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Definitely should work.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 PM
kennyb79
New User
so this was a great post...I'm in the process of changing ouy my waterpump...1994 class C motorhome, and after reading this, I'm gonna get rid of the oil cooler. was looking for input from the guys that used the Ford Racing M-6880-A50 adapter and was wondering if it would work for me...thanks

Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
mustangman
Senior User
Originally Posted by kennyb79
so this was a great post...I'm in the process of changing ouy my waterpump...1994 class C motorhome, and after reading this, I'm gonna get rid of the oil cooler. was looking for input from the guys that used the Ford Racing M-6880-A50 adapter and was wondering if it would work for me...thanks
on my 92 f53, should be the same as yours, you will notice u have no room to take out the bolt, unless u lift the engine, so just cut the casting with sawzaw,its cuts easy, you can than put a socket to remove the fitting from the block. the vibration from the cutting had loosened that hollow bolt i took it offwhat was left of the bolt with my fingers,order the adpater from for and hayden kit from summit ebay

Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
SMART NUF TO ASK
New User
Thanks John,
Just the answer I was looking for. Great pictures!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
BearFootCustom
Elder User
Hey, i was wondering how far you screwed the adapter piece into the filter adapter that goes on the block? I have low oil pressure and I think i screwed it in to far, thanks, Rich

Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 AM
SMART NUF TO ASK
New User
Wink Low oil pressure???

First what gauge are you looking at. My factory gauge reads midway, says its normal but the live gauge reads 50-65. That's using castrol 20-50. I didn't change the adapter itself. I removed the water cooler unit, then blocked off the ports with a heavy angle iron bolted across the ports. I'll try and take pictures and show you what was done.
Back to low oil pressure, what was the pressure before installing the adapter?

I would think the adapter would be manufactured to only go so far. If it stopped going in then it should be installed right.
460 has the oil pump in the front, meaning the rear main bearing is the last to receive oil, any oil pressure is good. But I would check with live gauge. The port is a pain to get to, have a lot of time and talk to yourself!

Another thing I learned about FORD, they like FRAM filters. Fram has a check valve built in keeps the oil in the engine block for a longer time then the others. This stops the dry starts in the morning or after sitting for a while. Been driving FORDS since 1958 never used anything but FRAM. Only overhauled one FORD engine in that time period. Averaged 100,000 mi to 7.3 had 865,890 mi.
Just thought I would add pictures! Send me e-mail at des602go@gmail.com I will send you the pictures.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
BearFootCustom
Elder User
Well its a big project and i put a new oil pump in and the gauge reads just between the line and N. At first I screwed the thread adapter into the aluminum piece but it looked like it would be restrictive so I took it back off and threaded it onto the block fitting and now the gauge reads to the middle of the N. I have a gauge pod on order with an oil pressure gauge. Im using a napa wiks oil fliter

Heres my setup. Seeing how it had a 351w the oil filter hole in the frame is perfect for the hoses. I plan on having hydrolic hoses made when im almost done with the build.

And why im doing this

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM
SMART NUF TO ASK
New User
Neat Job!

Hey how did you get the pictures in there? I know how to make an engine run but putting pictures on this site is beyond my knowledge. When I tried it asked for my web address I think. Ain't got one. Just pictures in MY Pictures folder????
Any way neat job. Good work!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

When you go to reply there are two buttons underneath. "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" if you select "Go Advanced" it will bring up a new window, be sure to but a title to your post as it won't automatically do it. On the area between the title and text windows are a bunch of symbols, select the paper clip. This will open an upload window. There may be a minimum number of posts before you can do this just like signature files. There is also an "Insert Image" on the quick reply, it is the square one that looks like a picture of mountains, I've never used that one.

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 12-11-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Additional information added.

Quick Reply: 7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure