1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT: don't know what to do with an engine with so many aftermarket parts!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OT: don't know what to do with an engine with so many aftermarket parts!!

Ok guys, many of you may know i've been showing my F150 a lot of time here recently. it's weird working on a gas burner after messing with a diesel, but i'm not sure if i like it or if i don't like it!!!!

First of all the engine i'm using is a 5.0L v8. yes, pretty much what they used in the fox body mustang. ok well being as it was in mustangs there are performance parts out the A$$ for this thing!!!!!! At first i thought this was AWESOME!! now i'm not sure if its cool or not. with all these choices how am i supposed to know which one i want?!?!?! with our PSD's there arent very many choices. wow, a few different chip burners.. they all basically do the same so pick one. wow, injectors we all love Jim @ Rosewood. Wow, 6637 intake, 3" dp. its all easy to figure out what you want to do with these things. there arent 100 different 6637 filters or 3" dp's or injector builders. easy enough!!!

now with this dang gas burner there was like 100 different freaking pushrod choices!! then 100 different lifter choices, piston choices, head choices, cam choices.... MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! So i did some research on what the mustang guys are using b/c it turns out our F150 forum while they tried to help me with some of the things they weren't as helpful with this truck as i had hoped.. so i got it all figured out what i wanted/needed to buy to have a good running reliable engine. ok cool well now there are like 100 different ignition systems to choose from. i would like to run MSD but they have 100 different choices by themselves!! haha. now i'm trying to figure that out so i can start getting stuff for that and start putting the engine in the truck..

Well guess what now??? can't run this engine on factory computer system b/c its not a mass air flow system. well i knew this from the start, BUT NOBODY has been able to explain this conversion to me enough for me to say... "OHH SO THATS HOW YOU DO THAT". i can most likely do it without too much problem, but for whatever reason everytime i ask a question everyone wants to give an around about answer like this should work or you might have to do this.. instead of just being like look, go get this computer, this wiring harness, wire this into this spot and run these injector wires here. so i'm all confused and this $3500 rebuild is resting on whether i can wire up a mass air flow system with sequential injection..

So where i'm going with this is our PSD's absolutely ROCK!!!!! they are simple, easy, not so much BS out there that everyone just gets confused about all the different parts that are really all the same, and then BEST of all!!! there are people like you all here on FTE that can tell someone straight up what he/she needs to do to get something working. not just well this MIGHT work or you might have to wire an extra this... there are guys here that KNOW just about if not everything that has to be done on these trucks and can point people to where they need to be. i'm done with my rant now, but i want to say THANKS TO ALL MY FELLOW FTE MEMBERS WHO HELP EACH OTHER WITH ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING ON THESE TRUCKS!!!!!!! You have all been a big help to me and this truck. if it wasn't for FTE and of course, CODY!!! this truck wouldn't even be close to where it is now.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
thumper869
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on that one. i used to build motors for mud trucks in highschool it got to the point where me and the guy that did it just used a set parts list for each different size motor we built and either the customer settled with that or payed extra for something different and had to get it theirself and bring it to us. way too many choices for them out there.

here's another one for ya. this is a ford enthusiast site and these advertisement banners are all over the place on here. the one on the left side of the screen and the one at the top are advertising GMC(gay man's chariot) WTF??!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
I might be able to help you with this Ive done several of these like your talking about. What Id need to know is what year engine and what it came out of, and what year your truck is your putting it into and Ican probably put together a list for you like you asked all I need to know beyond that is are you building the engine for HP or TQ as that will change what parts are better for what application. In offroad racing this is fairly common just gotta know what the intended application is. Also Ive got a dyno program we used to be able to mix and match different parts by there specs to figure out the approx #'s before we ever assembled it so we only got the pieces we needed to get the best results.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Scrap the fuel injection. Put on a carb and be done with it. JMHO. I hate wiring.LOL

Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Oversize
I might be able to help you with this Ive done several of these like your talking about. What Id need to know is what year engine and what it came out of, and what year your truck is your putting it into and Ican probably put together a list for you like you asked all I need to know beyond that is are you building the engine for HP or TQ as that will change what parts are better for what application. In offroad racing this is fairly common just gotta know what the intended application is. Also Ive got a dyno program we used to be able to mix and match different parts by there specs to figure out the approx #'s before we ever assembled it so we only got the pieces we needed to get the best results.
i got all the parts for the engine done besides the ignition system and the mass air flow system. you have done mass air conversions??? this was a '92 5.0L. this was a not an HO engine therefore didn't have mass air flow or the sequential injection i need to run on it. i fitted the engine with flat top pistons, FRPP B303 cam, gt40p heads, typhoon upper/lower intake manifold, 1.72 roller rockers, chromoly pushrods, and new lifters. So being as the cam is for an HO it has to run the HO firing order which means converting to sequential injection and mass air flow.

so the engine was a '92 engine that came out of an F150 2wd 5 speed. its goin in a '94 F150 5 speed 4x4. im going to use this truck as a daily driver for a little bit, but it will see some trails and some mud. LoL

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
I can show you how to convert your truck from speed density to MAF... once its MAF you will beable to tune it with a chip... My PM box is open or you can call me, I have built lots of engines, and been around 5.slows for a long time...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm honestly with 95 on this.
Throw a carb and be done with it.

MAF wont necessarily work with your setup due to the fact that if you are to agressive on yoru builds, it wotn know what to do.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM
MustangMatt96GT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Talyn
I'm honestly with 95 on this.
Throw a carb and be done with it.

MAF wont necessarily work with your setup due to the fact that if you are to agressive on yoru builds, it wotn know what to do.
his engine is NO where near radical at all....

Speed Density to Mass Air Flow Conversion that is a GREAT link,

You are going to need a MAF computer for a mustang, An A9L for a 5 speed, or a A9LP for an auto...

Here is another good link, but you need a subscribtion to see the rest of it...

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion. F150, Bronco, Mustang.

I have a few buddy that have done the MAF swap on thier race cars... and if you go more radical than what you have now, you will need to dyno tune the truck... hell I would even think about getting a dyno tune anyway....

BTW the MSD stands for Might Suddenly Die, but I have have a MSD 6AL in my race car, and a blaster II coil... works fine.

Wish you would have not used a B303 cam... I honestly HATE FRPP alphabet cams, they are poor quality control, and for the same price you can go with a MUCH better cam...

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT
his engine is NO where near radical at all....

Speed Density to Mass Air Flow Conversion that is a GREAT link,

You are going to need a MAF computer for a mustang, An A9L for a 5 speed, or a A9LP for an auto...

Here is another good link, but you need a subscribtion to see the rest of it...

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion. F150, Bronco, Mustang.

I have a few buddy that have done the MAF swap on thier race cars... and if you go more radical than what you have now, you will need to dyno tune the truck... hell I would even think about getting a dyno tune anyway....

BTW the MSD stands for Might Suddenly Die, but I have have a MSD 6AL in my race car, and a blaster II coil... works fine.

Wish you would have not used a B303 cam... I honestly HATE FRPP alphabet cams, they are poor quality control, and for the same price you can go with a MUCH better cam...
I completely agree with you.

Depending on the system, the MAF will work, but it will be clunky till it learns the system.
If you go to far outa spec though, the maf system needs to be programed to work with what you have. Which is usually what the issue is.
Good think the MAF is a learning system. So if he really is just installing a bigger cam, and everythign else is pretty much stock, the Maf system will learn it in a few handfulls of minutes and driving.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
ya its definitely not an aggressive build yet.... haha. when i get my tow rig it will get aggressive quick i bet... it will probably turn into a mud racing truck.. LoL. Matt im sending you a PM right now!!! haha

Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
B Big
Senior User
Summit Racing is your friend! They have tech people that have enough knowledge to help ya sort through this type of stuff.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Wow, I'm with you all the way. I have a 91 f150 with a 5.8 and it is missing. The codes tell me its the EGR system so I elimated it and used a block off plate. Still misses, I went to the other forum and like Travis said, they are no help. People on here have the knowledge and are willing to share it. Those as..h.. just want to keep you guessing so you feel that you have to kiss their as.... to get answers. I just parked the truck, the heck with it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
I agree with Matt on most of it I too would have used a better cam personally I tend to go with clevite cams, and mallory hifire VI ignition modules and led distributors, Accel super stack coils and 8mm plug wires, CAT gear driven timing, edelbrock intakes, hedman headers, and edelbrbrock carbs. always been a reliable combination for me. Then rather than EFI adjust your carb and supercharge it, or tunnel ram it, or small filter it with a vortex generator and a carb riser. MAF adds too many variables that require too much specialty gear to be carried to modify it on the fly, Cant just pop the hood and adjust it with a screwdriver. I prefer low tech for high power builds more reliable.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Thats right oversize. A carb is WAY easier. His cam is small though so it may work ok. But I do not like the edelbrock carbs. The tried and true double pumper is in my opinion the best carb. He could throw on a RPM manifold and a 650 double pumper with the MSD 6AL and the car would be running already for a lot less money. Bigger cam, bigger carb. A 700cfm DP might be better if he was runing it hard more often. Then he could just do jet changes.

I don't know what smog laws you have Travis, but my way is NOT smog legal.LOL

My choice of cams is Lunati. Lots of lift and duration. Make the ground shake.LOL

Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Oversize
Laughing Gas
my way isnt smog legal and i was doing it with 1970 series trucks, which barely had any emission standards anyways but they could be made to pass just took some work. But I say forget the DP carb that means holley I use holleys for tire chocks, Edelbrock will produce more out of the box untuned than and holley Ive ever used, plus their cheaper and easier to work on.

Quick Reply: OT: don't know what to do with an engine with so many aftermarket parts!!