Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Wal Mart Good Place for tires?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Bill Lamb
New User
Bill Lamb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wal Mart Good Place for tires?

My 89 F150 is going to get a new set of shoes this week. 31/10.5/15 of some sort. Prices there are good. They install with an air gun and then check with a torque wrench. Just had brake job with new rotors. Brake guy warned me not to over tighten the lugs so the rotors would not warp. Opinions?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
DBGrif91
Posting Guru
DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DBGrif91 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know about Wal Mart, but I've had good luck with Sams Club in the past. Never had a tire fall off when I was going down the road. If their warranties are the same, you'll never pay for any tire service beyond purchase and installation price. Balancing, rotations, hole repairs, etc- it's all covered. The bad thing is that the warranty is only good for the vehicle you install the tires on and it's not transferrable, plus you're not allowed to touch the tires. You can't do any repair work yourself- not even plug them, otherwise the warranty is void.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
You can get away with tires OK at wally world.................But I wouldn't push my luck with their "other" automotive services........too many horror stories out there.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
nnewman
Junior User
nnewman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've heard several of those horror stories, & was involved in one. I was riding with a friend right after he got new tires put on at Walmart & one of the tires came off while we driving. Luckily we weren't going very fast, but it still damaged the truck. We checked the lug nuts on the other wheels & several were hand-tight.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
SFaulken
New User
SFaulken is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't trust any of those tire places. Whenever I take any of my rigs in for tire work, I always bring my torque wrench with me when I pick it up. Few, if any use a torque wrench after installing tires, and trust that those "flex-torque" Impact drivers are accurate.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 AM
TexasGuy001
Post Fiend
TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
This has recently been discussed here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...art-tires.html

Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
awkoop
Freshman User
awkoop is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went to Wally World for tires once and I promise it will be the last.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Linemo
Senior User
Linemo is starting off with a positive reputation.
First H#LL NO the price might be cheaper but thats all thier service sucks !I like everyone else has a horror story about them!! Mine is sitting in the waiting room for TWO hours after I paid my money and the employee's started bringing thier cars in to work on finally one of thie Tecs asked me what I was waiting on and I told him he said didnt they tell you?they had sold me the wrong tire and they had turned it down!So after going thru two managers I was finaly told they would give me a $20 gift card to make it better !Man I hate that place Sorry My opinion is to find a good independant that will be there for you !!!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 PM
1OldFordMan
Postmaster
1OldFordMan has a great reputation on FTE.1OldFordMan has a great reputation on FTE.1OldFordMan has a great reputation on FTE.1OldFordMan has a great reputation on FTE.
My experience is pretty much the opposite. Bought two tires for The Beast there & had the other two moved. They did put them on with the air wrench, but then went back & checked them with a torque wrench. Then somebody came along behind the first guy & double checked them with another torque wrench. Old Rusty didn't turn out quite as well. They couldn't bust the lug nuts loose on one side so they just mounted & balanced the second tire on the rim & sent me on my way. they were scared of busting the studs off.

Last edited by 1OldFordMan; 11-18-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelling ( again ) star x4 FFS
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM
jplinville
Posting Guru
jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.
Discount Tire usually can beat Walmart on tires, and they are better quality tires than Walmart. These are also people that deal with tires everyday, so they know what they are doing...you won't get the kid that worked the Garden Center yesterday installing your tires and over torquing your lug nuts.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 PM
wolfsmurf
Senior User
wolfsmurf is starting off with a positive reputation.
been in the business for 15 years and have never heard the " over tight lugs warp rotors" thing before.rofl. rotors come out of the box warped. even the really expensive ones are warped slightly, just cant feel it on most.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
jplinville
Posting Guru
jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.jplinville has a very good reputation on FTE.
My comment had nothing to do with the warped rotors. Ever ruin a Mercedes alloy wheel having to deal with over torqued wheel bolts? I have, and had to replace 2 very costly rims.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 AM
wolfsmurf
Senior User
wolfsmurf is starting off with a positive reputation.
hold on there jp. i was not referring to your post. the OP said his mechanic said he could warp rotors with the lugs being too tight.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wolfsmurf View Post
hold on there jp. i was not referring to your post. the OP said his mechanic said he could warp rotors with the lugs being too tight.
My mistake...

That's what happens during the last drive-by post before I head to work.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
basspro620
Freshman User
basspro620 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i've had a set of uniroyal tiger paw GTS on my 84 since june of last year. P255/70R15's. great factory replacement, or for street tires. they were quick with the install, and were done within a few hours from when i dropped it off. i'm actually looking at the Goodyear Duratrac from walmart now. HAH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wal Mart Good Place for tires?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.